Africasgateway.com

Cpt emceez

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Apart from the calling each other idiots part, i really like this thread. you can't ever tell someone that their opinion is wrong. there is big difference just hating and expressing an opinion.

It's come to the stage where there isn't much US hip hop that i like (except on a very superficial level when I'm drunk,,, "i'll take you to the candy shop"). I'm sick of hearing about them and their stories,,, and musically they are standing still (or going downhill).

I have never particularly liked Biggie or Pac. No amount of explanation will ever make me feel Pac,,, I always considered him cheesy. Biggie was a bit better, but still cheesy. How they became worldwide icons still amazes me - i guess it's because their music was so commercial and accessible. Anyway,,, I digress...

Cape Town hip hop is the shit. I'm lovin' it :)

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
WOW. Yo never seize to amaze me D.

Go watch Resurrection, maybe you'll have some appreciation for PAC and what he stood for.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
So you basically think that TOP cat from Archetypes is tighter than B.I.G?

The same Infamous B.I.G. who wrote Gimme the Loot and Niggas Bleed?
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Hahah,,, naa,,, i'm not saying TOP is better (or tighter) than Pac or Biggie. I'm just saying i don't feel Pac and Biggie, and never have. I was always more into KRS1 and Public Enemy.

Like i said,,, i've seen every documentary, listened to every piece of music, watched all the interviews, had people go on and on about how important and amazing they were,,, I just don't feel them.

It's not even about who is tighter than who. It's about what you feel. I will listen to Roots Manuva or Ben Sharpa over almost anything from the States because I can relate to what they are saying.

If people want role models who repped the streets, they should look closer to home (Nelson Mandela, Steve Biko, Oliver Tambo etc etc),,,, Pac did f*** all compared to them.

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
nuwepussy.

im interested in the 'bedroom poetry' part. where and when.
im coming home in bout a week. if youre willing to show face. take me there.

we live and learn.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
LAFF.
 I love the cape town scene.
save for some people in influencial positions who exclude talent.
I'm talking  from experience i've seen people excluded coz they don't fit what a certain person who thinks he is in the know about what the ma**es like, prefers.  Tired of the same old line ups at hiphop shows but I'm working to change that. On monday Imma be at that Hiphop festival and imma have to interview the same old faces.
But its getting better, some people are recognisin and investing time and money and thinking about what can still happen after that gig...

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Frankly i was enjoyin The afterbirth vs. souljah sparring session... but I've always been a bit blood thirsty...
Anyway, really like it been said you alll got yo opinions and the peeps that matter know mine or speculate on them so thats fine....

Frankly if you aint impressed Nuwepussy, then I'm sure nobody is forcing you to go at gunpoint... just find sumthin else to do. If that not good enuff, then source talent and throw your own parties, if that still not enuff then move to where you'll be happy... and you're ofcourse free to express your opinion here as are we all, you cant really be surprised when your opinion offends sum1 who holds a different one to attack you.... for f***s sake its the internet.
Though actually souljah got a whole bunch angrier than nuwepussy.
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
syntactic, it wasn't really about getting angry or nothing - this is the exact problem that we facing in our arts at the moment. people cannot handle opinions.
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
does anyone notice how nuwepussy dropped her word...and bounced...never sed anything else and left the whole joint blabbin...and blabbin...everyone wit his or her opinion..hehe...

her word was final ....i think...its either that or she too broke to go log on at a cafe...hehe

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Interesting in this review of the Wu-Saga that the critic says...

"The usual problems with live hip hop are present, though: the production subtleties are lost - you have to strain to hear the hooks over the booming drumbeat - it's harder to decipher the lyrics"

Just goes to show that undecipherable lyrics are not only common to our local MCs,,, the problem of bad sound at live gigs can even affect Wu.

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
hip hop is producer-driven lately - not a bad thing all together, just different. producers are outshining emcees - beat is tight, emcee's aight. let's work together...

the other option is to hire sound from gearhouse - and 14 months later you still paying for the use of the sound. :wink:

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
hahah,,, yeah. actually it's not funny.

the problem is that we're stuck in a vicious circle in cape town. sound systems are too expensive, so artists sound shit, so no one goes to the shows, so promotors can't afford to hire good sound systems.

ok, i know it's not all about the sound system,,, the artists themselves have got to make themselves more appealing to the ma**es,,, but performing on a shit sound system so people can't hear your track or what you are saying definitely doesn't help.

the sad thing is that it really doesn't have to be like this. a friend of mine plays every thursday at the horror cafe on a nice big clean sound system. the place is packed with people happy to pay R50 week after week. he makes money, people get entertained... it's the way it works all around the world.

at the moment there is no way i would pay R50 every week to hear anyone performing in cape town because I know the sound systems in every club are terrible (apart from hemisphere, but i can't see them ever hosting a hip hop gig).

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
yeah tell me about it. i went to a gig and it sounded like the sound was coming from a bunker in siberia and for all the people know these dudes were speaking russian.  8O

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Speaking of hiphop in Cape Town.
Went to Opium last night, thursdays is hiphop night and I actually didn't buy the whole idea but  last night my boys were on sum lets just check it out,  and glad we did coz they played some real nice shyt last night, there we were  in the middle of a club dance floor dancing to KRS!

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
there is nothing as f*** up as a f***ed up sound system...tho its good if u forgot your rhymes or u are too drunk to stay on beat....so u jus mumble and scream...and the crowd or hip hop heads...bang they heads to ur "dope" shit... its crazy...

but some cats will judge u...they will go home and say that cat didnt represent " i cudnt even hear what he was saying.."

a**holes....

thats my word...