Hip Hop in SA = Middlecla** phenom

Nthabi

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Nthabi"
Quote from: "melanin latte"
Nthabi, you know what happens when we do this...LOL

not in a beef sense at all girl. I just feel that SA hip hop- or the component of it that gets the most exposure is soft- so pink golfT-shirt and naked nights -there isnt that street,gritty feel to things if you know what I mean. which is why I usually say I respect the Kwaito fraternity for speaking to SA youth in the way they know how- they dress like us, speak and spit like us, and adequately represent where most of us are from (hoods/disadvantaged joints).I feel like Kwaito has this natural real, raw, hardstreet but local appeal and credibility to it that speaks to SA youth in a way that SA hip hop hasnt been able to.
WE SHOULD NOT ACT LIKE THERE IS NOTHING TO BE LEARNED FOR SA HIP HOP IN KWAITO.

Oh!I didn't get it, but now I understand where you're coming from and you're quite right hey. There isn't much credit given to the streets.It's like once people get to the top, they tend to forget how they got there in the first place. It's no longer about Hip Hop as a whole, but rather how big each individual's pocket is getting. I'm not saying being broke is cool, but come on people.Let's not forget that the streets paved the way so that you could get to where you are today.
....HMMM :idea:
That gives me an idea for a track....Thanks gal :wink:
[/b]

And this all contibuted to the birth of the E.P title.......Thanks again Mel! :wink:
quot;It's your aptitude, not just your attitude that determines your ultimate altitude"- zig ziglar

http://www.myspace.com/mcnthabi

"OUT NOW!!

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
in my sunshiny opinion...

it takes money to get your music out there... the people Rob talks about don't have the money to put their music OUT THERE...

Tate is saying, the 'COMMERCIAL' stream is full of bujwas.
Bujwa kids have a bit of something at home to fall back on while they're doing their so called hustle thing. Even if the bujwa artist comes from a single parent family, what they have is a whole lot more than what most people have in this country. they have education and social networks to draw on. So no matter how wack they are, they can still hustle for jobs in the media, entertainment industry. they can make connections, accumulate finance, fund their own projects ...maybe... but making connections is key.  

I heard some Entity track about them getting the parents together to discuss putting money together to record the CD. The result is that they won some award for best new comer or something. I was like, so how many other new comers entered the category. How many parents have spare cash to fund their kids dreams, OVER AND ABOVE their private school education.

There are thousands of kids whose parents can't even put bread on the table - thanks to the child support grant and pensions, at least they don't go hungry. But they'll never accumulate enough capital to record, press, market and distribute a CD. Unless some record label spots them. Unlikely...  

Most people don't have that social room to allow them to just 'HUSTLE' endlessly.  So in my sunshiny opinion - Bujwa's have a little extra that the rest don't have. And in my opinion, the Bujwas out there so far don't have star quality. they produce listenable stuff. but ultimately, its not compelling, for anybody of any race. So in the end, people like say Pioneer Unit will be the real breakthrough because they will cushion those soci-economic thornz for many artists.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
bujwaz!!!hahahahahahahaha
like king hintsa? :D this is hilarious man! :lol: that word is way too funny!!!hahahaha......glad im not 1 of those :lol:
thats my new diss word " u bujwa" hahahaha :lol:  :lol:
@cash_sog

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
Quote from: "Dplanet"
"Yo son these niggas never got consignment, popped off iron,
wore fila flip flops under their cot on the island,
paid a lawyer with street money to eat an indictment
yet they want the same f***ing respect that i get
I was supplying during a drought, fifteen hundred an ounce,
(the only) Nigga with work, if you ain't want it, bounce."
- Cormega

Like French said, Soft is aight,,, but we don't really have any rappers over here that could compete with that. Not to say that what Mega is talking about is desireable, but that's real street shit from an authentic hustler.

Authentic hustler?? hell yeah!!! but i never sold drugs but ive been know to hold my own whereva i go.....im the type street n!ggas love, cos i got love and respect for the streets! As long as u spiting sh!t from ur heart and u being real and uve got the kind of swagger n!ggas like....than its game time!!!
m the illest and realest entertainer there is out there....im the best at what i do and i not about to compromise my music or character to try and fit in this comedy showcase they call a music industry......

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
^^^ sunshine. i think the sunshiney opinion part kills me. ' in my sunshiney opinion '. perfect.  :D

you know when you look at a thread. read and move on. then it bugs you. stays on your mind. this thread has done that to me. when you cant quite walk away. and its starting to piss me off slightly because i want to say something. and im not quite sure what it is. but like. the statement is that south african hip hop is mostly middle cla** based and orientated. and this is a major problem in it becoming a major player. so then what follows on is why right.

it seems simplistic somehow. with so many factors at play. let alone the actual rappers or those now seen as the predominantly middle cla**. with middle cla** values or stories or demeanour. an industry that plays a great role in determing who they think will sell. what they think hip hop is. and what it means to make money from the genre. hip hop is seen to have a certain image. has certain connotations. not. that popular idea of what hip hop is and is about (influenced by a number of things. mostly foreign perhaps). hip hop is understood in a specific way. whether this is correct or not is a debate that rages on. it doesnt help that hip hop tears itself apart. what is hard and what is not. who is real and who isnt. and what is and isnt hip hop. this focus on this type of stuff fragments what ever gains can be made.  

in as much as i see your point sunshine. im not sure if thats it though. like. would it not stand to reason then that with any genre besides kwaito. 'the middle cla**' kids there could also be in a better position to push their music. is this what is happening. why is this specific of hip hop in particular. and arent there enough stories of people in the industry who dont have that money. who are here. who have made it. who continue to make it. i would say maybe the majority of south african music players have a different story to that. is this specific of hip hop in particular. why.

i mean with any place there is a multitude of things that contribute to the culture and psyche. kwaito most definetly has its place. i jam. but tis true too that kwaito may not always necessarily reflect my positioning. it may be that sometimes what they big up is not my reality. but i like things. a nice song is a song. end of story. and also with the knowledge that i am also of this land. and am a product of all the various spaces. could we not reach the same space with hip hop. celebrating those differences.

i think its important to try. you ill not always succeed. thats life. but you can try to have a more widespread representation of any one thing. so you will have your hardcore guy. but you will also have the guy who will croon. that variety is out there. why is not coming through is the question.

and also. the way is see it. hip hop peeps. the market that is already there. that small group. the majority of us are haters. we do not know how to support other people. even those of who share that middle 'cla**ness' (gotta love it) hip hop is said to have in bulk. we do not know how to support. we spend more time theorising the nature of that artists stuff and that artist (nothing wrong with that really) - giving all the reasons why they are not down. and not making something with our limited (?) power as consumers. as people involved in various  forms of media. we're clinging to rigid notions and not pushing or thinking more creatively. alowing ourselves the space to think more creatively/openly. and without that no genre can grow. even with its small group. it can catch on and open up. and yes. music can also be aspirational. like fashion. societal boundaries and distinctions can be bridged. but then perhaps we do not have the people who posses the fire to do that successcully in the fore yet. again then. why not. who is doing the choosing. and even if we play our part in influencing those who make these decision. we ourselves cant decide. or be okay with there being different interpretations of the joy that is hip hop.  
kwaito got the industry big wigs support because it was seen to be firmly rooted in the 'authentic south african experience'. hip hop faces the challenge of not being seen in that light to begin with. problems. this name calling isnt helping anyone really. at such an early stage to be be spending so much time weeding out who sounds kwaitorish and who doesnt is anti progressive. but this is what most hip hop fundmentalists refuse to face. if its for the love. then sure do what you do. and do it your way. youre not interested in the machine anyway. but if otherwise. then the artform will have to be given the space to be fluid and find its own face.    

there does seem to be a great need for hip hop to find its identity within the dynamic context that is south africa. but i think the way its been designed. the manner in which hip hop is being presented is part of the problem. and i dont know. i just dont feel like its enough to just simple draw the line at it merely being middle cla**. i just dont feel that its just about it being middle cla**. its about the choices that are made. and questions that lovers and supporters need to ask themselves and then of the industry at large.

look i tried. will probably be back. just tryna say something.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Indeed ROZE ... the middle-cla** can afford to record trend is across other genres... e.g. TKZEE kwaito, DK and R&B.

And its true, hip hop should not be rigidly defined. But what to do when the commercial imperative forces people that way... Its a huge dilemma... like the fact that 'Indigenous gospel' will outsell American Gospel by far.

I don't think hip hop in SA has to be more 'REAL'  or 'working cla**' tho... i just think it needs to be better quality in terms of content... The more players are in the game, the more the competition and therefore the better the quality... Zubz is great, but I'm afraid not everyone in the current commercial stream matches ZUBZ...

I just feel that financial constraints determine who gets heard first and maybe even, the most.

The best talent, i argue, is yet to be made mainstream... Its all the people who've been doing hiphop for 10 years, connected underground, have great skills... but need a record deal... of some sort...

Hopefully what happens with time is that as the genre gains an ear in the mainstream, those who have no money can then be recognised and push their talent where the royalties and cd sales are.

I'll be sure to buy more than Zubz at that point...

What ever happened to MOODPHASE 5.

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    Quote from: "Sunshine"
    Indeed ROZE ... the middle-cla** can afford to record trend is across other genres... e.g. TKZEE kwaito, DK and R&B.

And its true, hip hop should not be rigidly defined. But what to do when the commercial imperative forces people that way... Its a huge dilemma... like the fact that 'Indigenous gospel' will outsell American Gospel by far.

I don't think hip hop in SA has to be more 'REAL'  or 'working cla**' tho... i just think it needs to be better quality in terms of content... The more players are in the game, the more the competition and therefore the better the quality... Zubz is great, but I'm afraid not everyone in the current commercial stream matches ZUBZ...

I just feel that financial constraints determine who gets heard first and maybe even, the most.

The best talent, i argue, is yet to be made mainstream... Its all the people who've been doing hiphop for 10 years, connected underground, have great skills... but need a record deal... of some sort...

Hopefully what happens with time is that as the genre gains an ear in the mainstream, those who have no money can then be recognised and push their talent where the royalties and cd sales are.

I'll be sure to buy more than Zubz at that point...

What ever happened to MOODPHASE 5.
    [/list]

The cla** system is the most narrow minded way of looking at life period, Zubz is good but not dope...for me u gotta be talented in all spheres of life...u gotta be a talented artist, talented businessman, a talented strategist etc...if u cant get urself to where u need ( or want ) to be...then u have urself to blame and nobody else...not the market, not the rand, not the consumers....take accountability and get creative enough to appeal to more people without compromising ur standards....and u can but niccas is too narrow minded, gettin caught up in all the media hype about what sells to who and who controls what....hustle ur way in aint nobody gona give u anything in life u gotta go out there and take it period!!!  The best talent in terms of real entertainers who r talented, driven, pa**ionate, realistic and hustlers who gona get to live their dreams and aint waiting for someone to appriciate them and realise their dreams for them.....THE MONOPOLY...look no further, Young Zooloo the future!!!..........But u right, we need more competition, more relevant content with a SWAGGER, that x-factor.....thats what entertainment is about....people want someone they can aspire to be like...i dont aspire to be like Zubz...matter of fact....fukc that n!gga...
    m the illest and realest entertainer there is out there....im the best at what i do and i not about to compromise my music or character to try and fit in this comedy showcase they call a music industry......

Sduhla

• AG Hustler
      • REP: +0/-2
      • View Profile
    Interestin BUT exhausted discussion, but since I got time to kill... why the hell! I totally agree wit Tate that hip hop is South Africa is gentrified, an observation I in conjunction wit Dplanet have been makin for a while now. I'm glad that the rest of u fruitcakes are catchin up! I however disagree wit Tate when he characterises Prokid as a crossover artist, cause I think that the characterisation is based on the presumption that deligitimises vernac rap. As for Rob's silly protestations, they are quite understandable. U are a rich, white Jewish boy at an elite university! And Nthabi don't be a retard, just because u named ur juvenile and painfully gentrified LP 'From the Streets to the Lab' don't make it streets. And wut streets are u from? RAU? And I suppose the people that skooled u about the streets are Zubz and em? Get the f*** outta here!! Thats why I'll buy Young Jeezy's stupid a** before I ever buy any of these 'clever and interestin' local rappers.
    Captain definately has an authentically street savvy dimension in his lyrics. A street dimension that is able to connect the everyday experience to structural global causalities- which I think is hot. Prokid lets the streets politics run him, but dude is still authentic- though he's new album is tic! 3WR are probably the realest and street oriented crew in South Africa- wit loads of talent to back it. Their street rap sheet speaks for itself.
    Tumi is a dope lyricist wit a aneamic flow whose read a few books in his life. Zubz is a Zimbabwean Model C kid, who went to Rhodes, can string coherent English sentences together, who has a fortune of being mischaracterised as hip hop and smart!
    Call me a prick, I can only call it like I see it.

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
      • View Profile
      Quote from: "Sduhla"
      Interestin BUT exhausted discussion, but since I got time to kill... why the hell! I totally agree wit Tate that hip hop is South Africa is gentrified, an observation I in conjunction wit Dplanet have been makin for a while now. I'm glad that the rest of u fruitcakes are catchin up! I however disagree wit Tate when he characterises Prokid as a crossover artist, cause I think that the characterisation is based on the presumption that deligitimises vernac rap. As for Rob's silly protestations, they are quite understandable. U are a rich, white Jewish boy at an elite university! And Nthabi don't be a retard, just because u named ur juvenile and painfully gentrified LP 'From the Streets to the Lab' don't make it streets. And wut streets are u from? RAU? And I suppose the people that skooled u about the streets are Zubz and em? Get the f*** outta here!! Thats why I'll buy Young Jeezy's stupid a** before I ever buy any of these 'clever and interestin' local rappers.
      Captain definately has an authentically street savvy dimension in his lyrics. A street dimension that is able to connect the everyday experience to structural global causalities- which I think is hot. Prokid lets the streets politics run him, but dude is still authentic- though he's new album is tic! 3WR are probably the realest and street oriented crew in South Africa- wit loads of talent to back it. Their street rap sheet speaks for itself.
      Tumi is a dope lyricist wit a aneamic flow whose read a few books in his life. Zubz is a Zimbabwean Model C kid, who went to Rhodes, can string coherent English sentences together, who has a fortune of being mischaracterised as hip hop and smart!
      [/list]

For real.......theres a realistic consumer right there! Nicca didnt just focus on the music...he just let u dumb klevas know that its more than just about the music, Gorrilla black is the exact copy of Biggy but he aint biggy...so people didnt really buy into biggys flow or content or look....they bought into biggy.....We didnt have real superstars until now...Young Zooloo the future! The Monopoly motherfukcers!!!

Vexer

• AG Regular
        • REP: +1/-0
        • View Profile

I think u really broke down the genteel middle cla** sensibilities that I have a problem with in SA as well as in African Hip-Hop in general.

Maybe the problem is that the spotlight is unevenly put on "gentrified Hip-Hop" as u call it.

We should strive to expose the street side of the genre as well which is out there as we speak but it gets no exposure in mainstream Hip-Hop outlets.

When the street artists do get mainstream acclaim eg Teargas it seems like the middle-cla** Hip-Hop fraternity shuns them coz they're not "lyrically abstract" or on some "quasi-American street hustler" tip.

It looks like the middle cla** is only attuned to "lyrically abstract" and "quasi-American street hustler" Hip-Hop rhetoric.

That's my problem with HYPE.They'd rather put an American street artist on the cover (i.e The Game) instead of a locally acclaimed street group i.e. Teargas.

When they do choose to put a local artist on the cover, invariably the artist they choose plays to middle-cla** Hip-Hop sensibilities eg Proverb.

So I agree with a lot of the stuff u're saying and there's no way to say it other than to be blunt about it.

At the end of the day HYPE reveals the problems u're talking about in that its content and choice of artists depicts and reveals what kind of Hip-Hop rhetoric and paradigm the middle-cla** is attuned to and HYPE is using its power to re-inforce the dominance of this middle cla** Hip-Hop rhetoric.

HYPE is a prime example of middle cla** Hip-Hop discourse.
      I stay chiseled

Sduhla

• AG Hustler
        • REP: +0/-2
        • View Profile
      Hype went from Fungay's dumb a** to Mizi's middle cla** a**. Have u noticed how much profilin Ba4za, Reason and their types have been gettin in Hype. I don't even buy the rag, ma lil sista does and I read the crap when I'm takin a crap. I for one think that Teargas are wack rappers... but thats just me. So Vexer don't use ma arguments to support wack rappers.
      Its interestin that peeps here on AG think that only vernac rappers should have their 'hip hop' credibility questioned. But everyone else who definately isn't hip hop like Nthabi, Zubz, and others are never subjected to the same scrutiny. Again the middle cla** sensibility dictatin that if someone raps in English must be hip hop.

Vexer

• AG Regular
        • REP: +1/-0
        • View Profile
      I for one think that Teargas are wack rappers... but thats just me. So Vexer don't use ma arguments to support wack rappers.

Again I agree with what u say about HYPE and how catz don't question the legitimacy of artists who rap in English but r quick to crit vernac acts.

I think ur opinions on Teargas r ur own and mine are mine, and I don't think the ambit of ur argument excludes me using Teargas to illustrate my own perceptions about HYPE.

At the end of the day, the issue to me is what paradigm is being promoted and the "Teargas paradigm" if u will is neglected period.

What makes it even worse for me is that they've received awards from beyond Hip-Hop circles and still HYPE hasn't given them a fair shot.

Whatever ur individual perception of their skills is @ least they deserve an expose for their accomplishments which they've made in the name of SA Hip-Hop.

If u think they're wack, so be it but that in itself doesn't derogate from the basic premises of the underlying argument.
      I stay chiseled

crus-ou

• AG Extremist
        • View Profile
      Interestin BUT exhausted discussion, but since I got time to kill... why the hell! I totally agree wit Tate that hip hop is South Africa is gentrified, an observation I in conjunction wit Dplanet have been makin for a while now. I'm glad that the rest of u fruitcakes are catchin up! I however disagree wit Tate when he characterises Prokid as a crossover artist, cause I think that the characterisation is based on the presumption that deligitimises vernac rap.

I'm on your page up to here

U are a rich, white Jewish boy at an elite university! And Nthabi don't be a retard, just because u named ur juvenile and painfully gentrified LP 'From the Streets to the Lab' don't make it streets. And wut streets are u from? RAU? And I suppose the people that skooled u about the streets are Zubz and em? Get the f*** outta here!!

OUCH!!!!  

I dont think you're a prick at all I just think you're blind ombeskof.

Oh ja whose streets are you talking about anyways, I dont think I know any more...  same way I dont know what Hip Hop is either.

Eintlik wena o mang?
      k IS mos deurmekaar.....

zoolooo1

• AG Regular
        • View Profile
        Hype went from Fungay's dumb a** to Mizi's middle cla** a**. Have u noticed how much profilin Ba4za, Reason and their types have been gettin in Hype. I don't even buy the rag, ma lil sista does and I read the crap when I'm takin a crap. I for one think that Teargas are wack rappers... but thats just me. So Vexer don't use ma arguments to support wack rappers.
        Its interestin that peeps here on AG think that only vernac rappers should have their 'hip hop' credibility questioned. But everyone else who definately isn't hip hop like Nthabi, Zubz, and others are never subjected to the same scrutiny. Again the middle cla** sensibility dictatin that if someone raps in English must be hip hop.
        [/list]

Wheneva someone has an attitude like this he is labelled a hater....couldnt be more futher from the truth....i dont have to agree
        to with this cat cos his right....hahahah...my point and a fact is Teargas is a below average group and whether hip hop or not thats wack....U aint gotta agree with me on anything....just be real, trust me....it shows!!!