Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Kwaito = Hip Hop???

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
there's mos def a relation between hip hop and Kwaito. kwaito cats been pop locking since way before...Chiskop.those cats were the realest for me. I remember a young mandoza immediately answer onyx...fredo starr and sticky finghaz to the question of who influenced chiskop's musical inclinations.this was back in 1996

fahfee

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/chiefmlu
But now I really feel like this is getting semantically tricky.

yes. we kind of going in circles with this topic.

Chiskop.those cats were the realest for me

true story. they started out as a (hiphop) breakdance battle crew hailing from Zola, Zondi and Jabulani then they turned into a ragga group then kwaito when it was blowing up. rest in peace Sizwe and SBU. always rep.
beatz:
http://soundcloud.com/chiefmlu

check my blog peeps!

chiefmlu.blogspot.com
twitter.com/chiefMlu

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
I would love to do a VH1 style hip hop honours show, and snub all those commercial cats and put kwaito cats on stages...mandoza, kabelo,gwyza,tokollo

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "melanin latte"
I would love to do a VH1 style hip hop honours show, and snub all those commercial cats and put kwaito cats on stages...mandoza, kabelo,gwyza,tokollo

who are the 'commercial cats' that you would snub in favour of Kabelo? I mean,,, it doesn't get more commercial than Kabelo does it?

3000 BC

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: fahfee

yes. we kind of going in circles with this topic.

I agree

i think we needn't even compare these musical genres coz call me naiev, but even b4 each of these genres could be categorised and given names, the elements of dance (u can call it breaking), competitive word games ukuqophana ngesiZulu ( u can call it battle) were already there; we carved on stones etc (call that graffiti), and legendary tales or insumansumane , represent the element that's come to be called 'Knowledge of Self', as for djing... back then they made sounds whatever instuments they could create.

So all in alll, in my view, every single musical genre i've ever known, if not every musical genre that ever existed, borrows from historical elements that r somewhat natural to human nature . The only difference is each of them adapt and evolve in different ways.

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
wouldnt snub them because they commercial, but because  they are at best lame and at worst fake- the majority at least

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "melanin latte"
wouldnt snub them because they commercial, but because  they are at best lame and at worst fake- the majority at least

haha,,, good reasons indeed :)

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
AND PLUS...most of those cats given the opportunity have done a disservice to the look, sound and feel of local hip hop. cats dont know what paying dues means...cats are in the game for 8-10 years then think thats carte blance to sprout bullshit...the clap what!??!!

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Reading supa & D's posts is a little too much for my feeble brain this morning so I'm'a simplify for the people to understand (a lesson a lot of SA hip hop acts would do well to learn):

Zola & Mapaputsi can out-RAP many of the cats rapping in vernac...
That Izinja track was produced by Ready D (I think) yet it is cla**ified "Kwaito" sh*t is straight HIP HOP & DOPE @ that!

you see me point?..

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
so DJ Cleo is the South African Dr. Dre right?...

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dplanet"
so DJ Cleo is the South African Dr. Dre right?...
Eskhaleni = The Chronic! :lol:

The Sililarities in make-up & origin as pointed out by our learned collegue Supafly cannot be ignored & are what led me to the conclusion that a lot of Kwaito these days is more hip hop than house.

I admit Cleo hardly makes Hip Hop beats & Doc Shebeleza could never pa** for a Hip Hop artist...

But considering the roots of a lot of Kwaito's innovators & pioneers shows STRONG Correlation.

Afterall didnt Oskido once Host Rap Activity Jam... :wink:

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Quoted from Supafly:

In Brazil, for example, I understand that Hip Hop there has more in common - stylistically - with, say, something like Reggaeton and Miami Ba**. But that's Brazil's Hip Hop. And there Hip Hop IS dance music.

What you've just explained was the style known as Baile Funk, Brazil's answer to Miami Booty Ba**. It's not exactally Brazilian Hip-Hop because theres also a difference too. Brazilian Hip-Hop sounds just like US Hip-Hop and the artists rap about the realities of the favela (ghettos) but in a concious and serious matter. Brazilian Hip-Hop artists would be Rappin Hood, Planet Hemp, and Black Alien.

Baile Funk is more of a party sound and some of it is controlled by Brazilian drug lords. It also explains the realites of the favela but displays the harsh images vicariously, despite glorifying the drugs, sex, and violence.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Rzeed"
What you've just explained was the style known as Baile Funk, Brazil's answer to Miami Booty Ba**. It's not exactally Brazilian Hip-Hop because theres also a difference too. Brazilian Hip-Hop sounds just like US Hip-Hop and the artists rap about the realities of the favela (ghettos) but in a concious and serious matter. Brazilian Hip-Hop artists would be Rappin Hood, Planet Hemp, and Black Alien.

Baile Funk is more of a party sound and some of it is controlled by Brazilian drug lords. It also explains the realites of the favela but displays the harsh images vicariously, despite glorifying the drugs, sex, and violence.

Aside: I had the opportunity to attend a Bale Funk Party in the Favelas last month & I can a**ure you that isht IS NOT Hip Hop! The Artists DO rap (as in Britney Spears has rapped) but by no means does this make it Hippa to the Hoppa.

See: City of God

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile

Ok I'm in full agreement with Supafly... and I've heard a fair bit of Baile funk and I would (IF I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO) cla**ify it closer to electro breaks or booty ba** than hip hop...... BUT seriously look at Rzeed's last paragraph.... its got criminal involvement, harsh realitites and vulgar lyrics all about drugs sex and violence....... :roll: :?  jeez thats nothing like hip hop at all!!!!
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
Quote from: "syntactic"

Ok I'm in full agreement with Supafly... and I've heard a fair bit of Baile funk and I would (IF I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO) cla**ify it closer to electro breaks or booty ba** than hip hop...... BUT seriously look at Rzeed's last paragraph.... its got criminal involvement, harsh realitites and vulgar lyrics all about drugs sex and violence....... :roll: :?  jeez thats nothing like hip hop at all!!!!

But Eeshaam, Supa contends that Baile Funk is closer to hip hop..Rzeed & I disagree with him (Supa)...rough day @ the office huh Eesham?..coffee maybe may help?...