5 Mistakes

Dpleezy · 21 · 3419

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Interview with Kevin Black, Vice President of Interscope Rap Marketing and Promotions

http://www.allhiphop.com/features/index.asp?ID=1552

There are countless indie label’s popping up trying to be the next G-Unit or Aftermath. What are the top five basic mistakes people make when getting in the game?

1. Not enough funding.

2. Trying to hang your hat where you can’t reach it.

3. Lack of information is what kills them and not knowing that every mistake costs. If you have the wrong address on a package that stamp cost you $1.35, and when it comes back you have to rewrap it and send it out again. In the music game every mistake costs money.

4. Promoting to your friends. Your friends will tell you anything e.g., “Oh, that s**t is hot!” then they don’t even want to buy it they want that s**t for free!

5. The final one I would say is mostly people start without a distribution deal and I think you need a distribution deal before you start. A distribution deal is someone who houses you product and puts it in stores for you.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
How do you stay focused?

First of all it’s called time management you gotta manage your time or your time will manage you.

Primarily, I live by my “Four F” theory:

1. Be Friendly, you always gotta treat people friendly.

2. You have to Focus, but I don’t me just straight ahead, you gotta know your mission and always be open to see the big picture.

3. the third F is be Firm. Nobody likes a motherf**ker that just says yes to everything ‘cause then you’re a jellyfish cause like they say, if you don’t stand for something you’ll fall for anything.

4. And my last F is you gotta know when to say “F**k it.” Sometimes the mountain can’t be climbed, the elephant can’t get straddled, sometimes the lion don’t want to get fed, but it’s up to you to know what’s going on so that’s my Four F theory for the new age executive.

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
might be logic, but it's suprising how few SA artists follow those points. Distribution and lack of funding are probably the main problems,,, and i think everyone suffers a little from 'promoting to their friends'.

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dplanet"
everyone suffers a little from 'promoting to their friends'.

I experienced this one before... :oops:

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "Darklight"
Quote from: "Dplanet"
everyone suffers a little from 'promoting to their friends'.

I experienced this one before... :oops:

hahah,,, don't worry - i think everyone has ;)

ad_the_lyricist

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
you know what you guys need... scouts mayn!!!

set up cyphers in schools and ish... the high school kids are sick man... and they got nothing much to do...

Hook a lil niggah up with word like, 'if he pa** his finals y'all get him a deal', lil' man will pa** his finals
These ol' cats are not hungry enough anymore, he heard he was a legend, now he jus scribbling, not writin...he says it on record and you expect me to buy hi ish... oh hell nah,
The kids are hungry mayn, they are!!! they jus need direction... that whole big record label ish is played out to...we know what's up now...we want to get paid selling what we love...
hell I don't want to be turned into an MCee and that's it, no money...I want to be my music...don't care if I sell out of a trunk mayn...It's mine mine mine and I'll love the results if the people love my ish...

that's my word...

bionic_gotti

• Guppie
    • View Profile
distribution aint that important in the rap/hiphop genre at this phase of the game because of things like myspace and soundclick.

another reason is that if you  can create a good buzz and do shows then u dont need distribution.look at them Houston boys for example slim thug went platinum without a record deal b4 he signed to startrak.

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
:roll:  RIIIIIIIGHTTTTTTT.... guess we've had it all wrong this whole time, name ONE artist other than Ca**ie who has generated anything resembling a successful music career exclusively from MYSPACE and she might not have been signed to Bad Boy at first but from get go her producer has been Ryan Leslie, a regular collaborator of Fabolous....

This Is not Texas!! Nobody out here is Slim Thug and not ONE SA hip hop artist or rapper (take your pick) can claim to have gra**-roots support which matches even the minor regional southern rappers.
Besides oFCOURSE Slim Thug had distribution it just wasn't the major label distributors, but every corner liquour store in Houston had copies of Slim's album for sale, as well as the strip clubs and he even got a local chain of fried chicken joints to carry his discs next to the register... all of the parties he broked the deal with profit-shared in the first album's revenues.
 In this country if you don't have discs on shelves and a video and have enough fore-thought to realise you need to spend your first 6 months doing gigs for NO cash, you are just anotha poor SA rapper who has to keep his job in Edgars.
In-bred stupidity I can deal with cos shit its genetic and it isn't your fault your end of the gene pool was particularly shallow, but ignorance is f***in unforgivable, But my bad I might be wrong and you might be the one local label head whose been able to move ANY copies without some sort of distribution.... Didn't yo mama teach you to hold yo tongue when grown folks is talkin?
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

bionic_gotti

• Guppie
    • View Profile
Quote from: "syntactic"
:roll:  RIIIIIIIGHTTTTTTT.... guess we've had it all wrong this whole time, name ONE artist other than Ca**ie who has generated anything resembling a successful music career exclusively from MYSPACE and she might not have been signed to Bad Boy at first but from get go her producer has been Ryan Leslie, a regular collaborator of Fabolous....

This Is not Texas!! Nobody out here is Slim Thug and not ONE SA hip hop artist or rapper (take your pick) can claim to have gra**-roots support which matches even the minor regional southern rappers.
Besides oFCOURSE Slim Thug had distribution it just wasn't the major label distributors, but every corner liquour store in Houston had copies of Slim's album for sale, as well as the strip clubs and he even got a local chain of fried chicken joints to carry his discs next to the register... all of the parties he broked the deal with profit-shared in the first album's revenues.
 In this country if you don't have discs on shelves and a video and have enough fore-thought to realise you need to spend your first 6 months doing gigs for NO cash, you are just anotha poor SA rapper who has to keep his job in Edgars.
In-bred stupidity I can deal with cos shit its genetic and it isn't your fault your end of the gene pool was particularly shallow, but ignorance is f***in unforgivable, But my bad I might be wrong and you might be the one local label head whose been able to move ANY copies without some sort of distribution.... Didn't yo mama teach you to hold yo tongue when grown folks is talkin?

think 5 years down the line homegirl!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

u f***in queer

hahahahahahahahah

ps.i hope for ur sake that aint you in ur sig.....

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile

damn- why u so mad?
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
@ bionic gotti: you're an idiot - that's all there is to it. you really have no idea what you're talking about, but then again you must be one of those who ascribe to the belief that you are entitled to your gross stupidity. well, truth be told, in all earnest you are - but please spare the rest of us.
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
all those were good points but you guys know the truth and the truth hurts, hip hop does not sell in S.A the best thing to do is get a degree/honours/masters and you'll be set in this country, but if you want to pursue rap do it on the side but focus on your papers as that's what counts in South Africa

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
true bout slim thug.

but i think in south africa hip hop has the potential to make sales-wise provided:

1. rappers stop bootlegging local shit.
2. good albums are made available at least at hip hop clothing stores
3. provided artists stop acting like supastars and start perfoming and selling records at local shows, b'coz, trust me, ive seen cats get big headed from a six track e.p.
they stay indoors the whole day waiting for GOD to:

1. organise shows for them
2. take their tracks to radio
3. for radio deejays to beg them to bring their tracks to stations.
4. make sure people know them.
5. turn them from underground rappers to highly paid performers overnite.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile
Quote from: "afterbirth"

damn- why u so mad?

He's mad coz he's the grandmaster of the J.L.H.  8O  8O

That not good enough for ya?