Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Hype No.1 Unsigned MC-Morale-What?

Vexer · 135 · 32212

T

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
V-'Morale's lyrics are too narrow and self-indulgent to be of any importance or merit in this genre of rap. 'WOW thats a bold statement.we had a topic on the essence about hip-hop heads and we asked r  we our own worst enemy?do we know too much?do we break down hip-hop rather than look at it as MUSIC.dawg have u heard the Morale mixtape yet?i remember that u wanted a copy from me....hey u know wat ur view on hip-hop its just that.m just trying to tell u maybe u should not judge but rather improve.i'll b looking forward to listening to ur project.hey its fine if u don't feel Morale but build the culture rather than break.in Soweto we r inspired by different things and comes out from all the emcees dropping at the moment.but yo! m tired of trying to say build rather than break.listen and support rather than hate.SUPPORT UR OWN CAUSE INTERNATIONAL CATS DON'T CARE IF WE LIKE THEM OR NOT.cause if they did they would respect us when they come here.ITS STARTS WITH URSELF 2 BLOW HIP-HOP

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Witness in silence"
vexer you said some things in this thread which i agree with , like this:

If insisting on skillz is "1994 criteria" then Hip-Hop really is dead and in that case in Dr Dre's words "f*** rap u can have it back".

but this i disagree with:

Honestly, I think Morale's content is too limited to reach to the latter group of people.At the end of the day only a few people will relate 2 his shit bcoz of the paradigm his lyrics come from.

what about a paradigm which is american and meterialistic.people are indentifying with THAT perspective in the sense that their albums STILL sell more than our own people's music regardless of whether the South African meterial is more concious or not.
Is the American truth , then , closer to home than Morale's.
Do & can the same petrol pumping people identify on a personal level to what such rappers are saying?
I think not.

I dont agree with everything that Morale raps about either.but he speaks from the lifestyle he actulaly lives,not one he imagines to be real,ehich I can respect on some level.

Anyways - vote with your rands - if you dont like it dont buy it.

I see what u mean.However, the issue for me is primarily that Morale is an SA cat and as an SA artist I feel like an american paradigm is not truly speaking his primary point of reference given that he actually lives in Africa.

I think that most people listening to Hip-Hop being that they actually live in SA will undoubtedly have an African point of reference for the simple reason that that's their everyday experience.

If Morale drives a BMW I've got no problem with him rapping about that bcoz its true that people in Africa drive BMWs.

The issue for me is that he deals with urban material in a very simplistic and unsophisticated way.

The end result being that his stuff sounds disconnected from the streets he stomps on everyday.It sounds more like American street shit.

For me the street niggaz in SA must relate to the shit we put out.American Hip-Hop is built on American streets and nothing else.

If ur shit sounds pussy and gay to the street niggaz in ur own country yet u claim to represent the urban street life u must know something is wrong.

This is what I mean by him coming from a paradigm most people will be unable to relate to.

Scarface, Jay-Z and them sound as real as hell to their own people.This includes the average and grimy cats.

Does Morale really come across with the same clarity to his own people?

I don't think so.

At the end of the day only time will tell.But I would luv for our own Hip-Hop to be so true and clear to our own people that when Niggaz say:

My lyrical verse filled with so much pain/
To some Niggaz it hurts (Tupac).

That shit will be so true bcoz they feel it so much due to the way the artist has struck a chord with them.

Clarity of expression is critical and getting thru to ur own people by using their reality as well as ur own to get the point across is vital.

Anyway, good luck to him and like I said only time will tell.

I will not attempt to claim I have a monopoly on what "real South African or African Hip-Hop" is and I will leave room for fate to take its course
I stay chiseled

T

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
V here in Joburg we hustle...Mr Selwyn raps about, Pro raps about it, Maggz raps about ect guys rap about their hustle to be the best in the concrete jungle.its funny at how many times u quote American hip-hop artists to represent ur self....hmmm...i don't know what 2 say anymore.come to Jozi and stay for while and u'll see the hustle.Zuluboy was saying how its been different for him being in Jozi its all about the hustle....i can see ur still on that keeping real and free our people.dawg maybe u didn't notice but we r free son lets talk about our success rather than our struggles.what's keeping it real? we copy what we see overseas and then judge our local artits.hip-hop is an franchise and will change according to its environment.UK,USA,JAPAN,FRENCH OR SOUTH AFRICAN CATS CAN'T BE RAPPING THE SAME THING CAUSE ITS A DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT AND BACKGROUND.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
jozi is no different to anywhere else in the world. life is a hustle. you think we lie around on the beach all day down here staring at the mountain?

damn,,, trusenz has sold 10,000 of Nomadsland without a deal,,, is repping real hip hop on his radio show Ground Zero on CKIfm,,, has a video coming out next month sponsored by SAB,,, has warmed up for the Beatnuts,,, does workshops in prisons,,, raps in a rock band (BEE) that peforms to packed venues around the country (and is warming up for Freshly Ground on their forthcoming tour)... BUT still doesn't get no shine!

Why? Cause media cats ain't interested in looking past their own backyards.

Please man,,, Jozi doesn't own the patent on hustle - cats just have it easy up there thru easy access to the media.

I'm not even gonna start on industry cockblocking,,, that's a whole other issue that will be dealt with in due course.

T

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
D i will disagree with u right there son....Zuluboy...what he's from Durban...5th floor from Cape Town....Zubz from Zimbwabwe...k'naan from Somalia.i can go on and on....cats here have it the same as u...if i had to tell the story of Prokid u wouldn't believe me...if cats ain't willing to mail there stuff to relevant cats then who's fault is it.we had a demothon on our show and guess what ,the finalist went from jozi just because they posted thier stuff.i wasn't saying other places don't hustle now ur making it a jozi vs the cape again.come on...i just say the hustle is hard here....media what? has he tried sending his cd anywhere else...YFM,METRO FM OR 5FM. does he do follow ups?come on D don't start.someone told me that's the reason y cape town cats don't like jozi cats.

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "T"
V here in Joburg we hustle...Mr Selwyn raps about, Pro raps about it, Maggz raps about ect guys rap about their hustle to be the best in the concrete jungle.its funny at how many times u quote American hip-hop artists to represent ur self....hmmm...i don't know what 2 say anymore.come to Jozi and stay for while and u'll see the hustle.Zuluboy was saying how its been different for him being in Jozi its all about the hustle....i can see ur still on that keeping real and free our people.dawg maybe u didn't notice but we r free son lets talk about our success rather than our struggles.what's keeping it real? we copy what we see overseas and then judge our local artits.hip-hop is an franchise and will change according to its environment.UK,USA,JAPAN,FRENCH OR SOUTH AFRICAN CATS CAN'T BE RAPPING THE SAME THING CAUSE ITS A DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENT AND BACKGROUND.

In Cape Town we also hustle.If we didn't what makes u think I'd be able to holla @ OutRageous and Buttabing from down here.

Please don't romanticise Joburg.Everyone works hard to improve their life wherever they are.I know they're some lazy niggaz in Joburg just like they're in Cape Town.

Please don't generalise like that coz it makes it seem like u downplay other cities and think Jozi is "superior".MiddleFinga is from here and his lyrics r also about hustling and trying 2 improve your circumstances.

However, the Paradigm he adopts is totally different the end result being that everyone can basically relate.From the hood kids, niggaz, middle cla** people like me as well as the grimy niggaz.I get the same feeling when I listen to TearGas as well.

I use international artists especially Tupac coz it captures the essence of what I want to say at the time.Particularly within the context of a Hip-Hop discussion and also bcoz Tupac is the realest artist to me who has the most potent words on practically any subject you can think of

So I shouldn't use good ideas is what u're telling me.Looks like I'll have to throw out my entire book collection and leave books written only by African authors by your logic.Goodbye George Bernard Shaw.Hip-Hop itself is a foreign idea so maybe we shouldn't be consuming so much energy over it.

I specifically said I don't have a monopoly on what's "real" so I'll leave that up to time to decide.

If u think we r free then u're lying to urself and don't fully understand the system we have today.

Just yesterday a rasta dude from the Eastern Cape I met in a video store was telling me he's frustrated and he doesn't feel free and how f***ed up shit is in the Eastern Cape despite the fact that that's where Mandela and Thabo Mbeki come from.

So not everyone feels "free".All I'm saying is Hip-Hop should be tuned to all these issues and the streets especially r not just about glamour. We look to street artists to speak on everyone's behalf not to just be self -indulgent.

How do we unite everyone.TearGas is undeniably street to me but I know nggaz in the Eastern Cape as well as urban criminals can relate to them.

They're prophets to their own people.Is Morale the same?I don't think so.

Morale doesn't even rap SA shit.He raps American shit which comes aross as gay to some niggaz.Believe me. My Niggaz certainly think its gay and they're from the suburbs.(No disrespect to Morale).

But like I said can't speak like some kind of Hip-Hop authority.Only time will tell.
I stay chiseled

T

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
u see what m talking about u say Morale is American but u the 1st to....haai! its ur point of view.yo! i'll be listening to what u speak about and maybe from u i'll see what ur talking about at the moment its all words.and i'll say it again do have Morale's mixtape?and dats a guy in P.E he feels like that so when he raps he'll rap about his struggles. but if he was happy he'll rap about exactly that his joy.

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "T"
u see what m talking about u say Morale is American but u the 1st to....haai! its ur point of view.yo! i'll be listening to what u speak about and maybe from u i'll see what ur talking about at the moment its all words.and i'll say it again do have Morale's mixtape?and dats a guy in P.E he feels like that so when he raps he'll rap about his struggles. but if he was happy he'll rap about exactly that his joy.

Only time will tell if I'm correct about Morale T.Frankly, whether I'm proved right or wrong doesn't matter bcoz it doesn't actually affect my life.

It was just a thought I had about one decision in a magazine and I decided to say something about it for the love of Hip-Hop.

I haven't yet had the opportunity of listening to Morale's mixtape and I will when I get the chance.

The problem is from what I've heard I'm not so motivated to check it out.

I hope things work out for him.

Perhaps u're right about the Eastern Cape dude and what he would rap about if his circumstances were different.

Maybe I just expect too much from artists.I really like listening to multi-dimesnional music and I just think Morale is lacking in that.That's all it boils down to, my opinion, cast into the mists and sands of time.
I stay chiseled

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
@ Dplanet

(Re: damn,,, trusenz has sold 10,000 of Nomadsland without a deal,,, is repping real hip hop on his radio show Ground Zero on CKIfm,,, has a video coming out next month sponsored by SAB,,, has warmed up for the Beatnuts,,, does workshops in prisons,,, raps in a rock band (BEE) that peforms to packed venues around the country (and is warming up for Freshly Ground on their forthcoming tour)... BUT still doesn't get no shine! )

Thanks. This is why its good to connect. I knew little about Trusenz. I have since spoken to him on the phone and I will be putting him on Feb/March. I live in GP so I still have a lot to learn about the rest of the scene. I am gaining a lot of ground though

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
that's cool mizi,,, i know you're putting in the work.

all you need to do now is answer your emails! ;)

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
ha ha

Thanks for the tracks yo. When do we get to see the Trusenz vid? Those video pix look tooooooooooooo dope. You chillin in the cut like Dr Dre

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
thanks for the email :)

post production is being finalised now,,, hopefully will be on tv in jan.

Zee-Supreme

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Morale is still that Nukka huh?
img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/soweto_photos/Doughboy_Avatar1.gif.jpg[/img]

Z MONEY BAGZ AKA DOUGHBOY SWAG>>>>AKA "IM BACK B!TCHES"

'SO SAY GOODNIGHT TO AG'S BADGUY'

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
i dont undastand why ya'll spend your net time arguing about somebody who is on the streets selling his tapes.
stop complaining and start doing something.

everybody complaining about america this and africa that.
stop talkin start acting.

go to the hot tracks forum and post your definition of african hip hop track so we listen and take note.

RUSTENBURG STAND UP.

portrait of a lyricist is still out for R30.00

holla 084 526 3430 or kingbeats@webmail.co.za

---l O.V.A.D.O.Z.E l---

• *** The Beat-Box *** (My Official Beat Store) ...
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-3
  • " Beat-Maker/Artist/Producer "
    • View Profile
    • Ovadoze Official Website
i b pumpin POLYGAMY in uk & pips b feelin it. tyt beat & lyrikal kontent
Morale gona blo if he hazn't,straight up commercial kat,let him myk hiz moola guyz,stop tha hatin,u'd probably luv it if it were u on hiz level. :wink:
---l O.V.A.D.O.Z.E l---
I Beat-Maker I Artist I Producer I

* The Beat-Box (My Official Beat Store)

http://ovadoze.bandcamp.com/album/the-beat-box-beat-store

* Ovadoze - The Beat-Down L.P. (Beat-Tape) ... !!! OUT NOW !!!...

www.ovadoze.bandcamp.com