Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

anatomy of south africa

afterbirth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
    • View Profile
picked up this book- 'anatomy of south africa: who's got the power?' by richard calland yesterday & didn't sleep! that's how engrossing it is... it's a review of contemporary sa politics & who's actually running the country! (u'd be surprised how powerful some of these una**uming peeps- eg. joel netshitzenge, alec erwin & mojanku gumbi actually are)

thought i'd suggest that all those vaguely interested in south africa's political landscape give it a look!  :wink:
we can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Well according to Calland there are six main policy makers in the country. this was in the M&G about two years ago.

in no particular order

Clevor Trevor (Trevor Manuel) - the power of the finance ministry. Understandable.

Alec Erwin - key thinker on macroeconomic policy & industrial strategy (do we have a coherent industrial strategy by the way. Similar to what the East Asian countries had?) Erwin was also a tough trade negotiator @ WTO before Mphalwa replaced him.

Mojaku Gumbi - the president's legal advisor. She's from a black consciousness background, not the ANC as far as I can recall
Essop Pahad

Joel Nethsitenzhe - he is widely seen as the ANC & the gvt's main strategist & intellectual.  I think he is very intelligent. + he was the gvt's spin doctor! that still doesn't mean he is not intelligent.

There was someone else. I've forgotten. probably shows that he/she is not a high profile figure. Maybe Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma. not sure.

I have to get the book. Calland is a prolific writer.

Sunshine

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
good looks t.
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -