Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Downloads?

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
So we're living in thsi country with some of the most exciting COM/IT developments and minds behind the development in the world  but we have major hurdles.... mostly to do with Telkom being greedy bastards and being miserly with bandwidth... BUT we get by.
Now one of the most limiting issues concerning the development of South African music in general, but paerticularly hip hop is how shelf space in retail outlets is ata premium and SA music is not seen as a product with a solid return... so we don't get wide release of albums or lotas of stock of the ones that are released... bUT whats the viewpoint of ya'll on the alternative?

EVERYBODY got a cell.... how do we feel about a portal which will allow us to make any and every SA title of a certain quality available to downlaod to either PC or cell or MAc (yes Dplanet  :roll: )?
I think of this site as a braintrust for ideas... granted some of those ideas are f***in terrible, occa**ionally you guys get a respectable spark.

Whats the feelings? Do we neeed digital downloads? Can they reach enough people?

Are we ready for large scale digital distribution in africa?

Just rememebr that digital distribution means a computer less and less these days..... who do you know your age who has a WAP enabled phone and DOESN't browse the net on it?

How would you like to see the process set up?

If a company ptu a site up to run the technical side and distrib side of things, could artists be trusted to do alot of the marketing push themselves?
NOBODY TELLS ME I'M COOL, HARD TO TALK WHEN YO TEETH CHATTERING.

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Artists.

What if you could start selling your music on the internet or over mobile phone RIGHT now, for R5 a pop, without selling your soul to a major record label.

How would it affect your life?

We're busy tryna set-up some shit. Which would allow ppl to sell their music nationally and internationally via itunes.

The majors dont have a clue and dont seem to care. It's be cool to get some brainstorms ideas suggestions going on this topic for fuel to convince the corporates.

The benefits to you as an Artist:

- Total creative freedom.
- R5 profit a song (versus about R1 you would make with a major per song on a CD)
- Exposure to Global market, right now.

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Great idea! Good luck with your project.

my 1 cent contribution. :lol:
I heard MySpace.com will soon enable members of the popular online social networking hub to sell downloads of their original music directly through MySpace Web pages, company executives and Personally i think this way will be a cheaper & reasonable way to sell via myspace since they are still infant in this downloading game.

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
makes good business sense (in my humble opinion).

especially if one is earning R5 versus R1.

it also makes good sense to sign up with an option like this instead of a big label where you would have to compete wtih more established artists for your labels' attention.

the difference between this and the myspace option will be that rupert murdoch will own your meterial & can use it whether you like it or not.
whats teh marketing angle? - print? internet?

more info wanted.

----------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/goforjoy
http://blog.myspace.com/goforjoy

biz-ark-human

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Corporate Nemesis on bandcamp
Yo, dope concept, I'm down with this.

Just not clued up on the iTunes thing  :oops:.  Anyway, do I need to have a registered company, or can this concept offer some form of legal protection? What about publishing rights, etc??

And for the marketing, how would you go about doing it? There'd definitely have to be a top 10 or something, how would this get decided on...oh, number of downloads I guess.

Is there any membership fee/ annual fee paid?

I'm on this, big up :wink:

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Yeah, I was speaking to Lungelo about the MySpace thing coming soon, but like Witnes says... in the rules and regulations of the site agreement, by accepting, you do sign an UNLIMITED, ETERNAL LICENSE to Fox Media, the owners of myspace, meaning they can do whatever they want with anything you put on your myspace site, cos strictly speaking you're only using a site that they own.

Our little project is based on the fact, that you still own your music, what we are going to be doing is have a site where your tracks or whole albums (your choice) are put up for sale and we take a small percentage, this does leave the marketing up to you though, for a little more we could take on some of the marketing responsibility.
We are intending promoting the brand as a whole through all available media channels and by staging events and through a**ociation to complimentary brands, so any specific artists promotion would be piggybacked onto already existing marketing, AT FIRST, later once the brand is established, it will be the platform for greater marketing exposure of artists.

Yo biz as to your questions... you wouldn't need to be a company to register with us, we would be constructing contracts to suit each agreement, with individuals, but if you do have a lil "label" or collective of artists and/or producers we will also have no problem with that, cos our prime objective is to promote and sell the music and possibly later the visual content you might put together.
we're not envisioning being a label which does production, we're more looking to be distributors, to cellphones and any other digital download medium. But ofcourse we will be helping artists reach a level of professionalism to make their product more sale-able, and we can direct artists to people who can help them in that respect.  
As to the specifics of the marketing push, we're lookign at podcasts, television and print, but I don't want to say too much right now.

A major bebenfit for the artists is that what we're looking to do isn't happening in isolation, we're looking to come into existence as a part of a global digital distribution network with strong links to iTunes.
Its about putting what we've got, out to anybody whose interested anywhere in the world, without you having to be a slave to a major.

Is this grabbing anybody? But seriously we'd like some ideas about what you as artists, producers or just fans woudl like to see from a service like this.

biz-ark-human

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Corporate Nemesis on bandcamp
I support the initiative a 100%, especially if artists are going to have a chance, suppose, of having their song featured in a tv commercial...or used to promote some brand elsewhere in the world

But, let's take it locally...Southern Africa to be exact. With the Internet not being as 'established' as it is internationally, in terms of bandwidth, do you think it's going to be feasible to use it as a medium of exposure?

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
I'm in the IT industry and I can see a market in this type of system in the near future, if you guys don't take initiative I'll be looking to roll out such a system as I already have idea's of how it can work, one thing thats hurting us is hosting a local website is expensive(bandwidth wise) but you can do what everyone else does and host with an international server

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Rumour has it that the Drudge Dialect has exceeded 4000 yes thats right FOUR THOUSAND downloads in just 2weeks of being available for download.
So looks like there is definately a market for this kind of initiative.

2 questions:

1) How do you get people to pay for the downloads? My experience is that the SA ma**es are still a little averse to buying sh*t over the net.
2) There are relatiely fewer people in SA with portable music players as opposed to the US where there is a market to download stuff direct to your mp3 player. How do you think this challenge would be addressed if at all?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Syn,,, I was reading the terms and conditions on myspace the other day,,, i distinctly remember reading that they DO NOT exert any rights over anything that is uploaded.

Can you please refer me to the text that says they DO own anything you upload...

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Blog post about lack of iTunes store in SA:
http://www.cherryflava.com/cherryflava/2006/09/slowing_ipod_br.html

This looks interesting too (legally download whole album for $2.95):
http://www.allofmp3.com/

Myspace music store would be good too,,, but I do think we need a local digital download store where SA music can be showcased together

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sensai_Tate
1) How do you get people to pay for the downloads? My experience is that the SA ma**es are still a little averse to buying sh*t over the net.
quote]

True! True!
Most Young S.A music lovers are quite used(& its quite in their head) in going to a local music store and cop a  CD with no ha**le,than to buy music from the internet let alone download music from cellphones.From their eyes its quite complicated,the payment procedures(some young music fans dont have access to credit cards)

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
it's just about education and the right packaging,, young south africans took to cellphones with no problem. I think they would take to digital downloads too.

the maths is quite simple,,, do you want to pay R70 for a CD or R20 for the same CD in digital format?

Someone just needs to package it properly.

Original Syn

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
yo D as to the MySpace terms of use agreement thing, my bad the last time i checked that was when i was gonna sign up in May, but since then FCSW, or freechildsafeweb.com lobbied and got Fox to change the terms... the details shoudl be on their website.

morph

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Dplanet"
Blog post about lack of iTunes store in SA:
http://www.cherryflava.com/cherryflava/2006/09/slowing_ipod_br.html

That has been a thorn in terms of apple south africa because most ipods sold come with this free car thingy ma bob
That allows you to buy tunes and lets be hones i aint dissing

Musica's database is not that big and i dont think they actually pay attention to it?

From my perspective, and this is open for objection

AG can do it matter fact i have had a lot of dicussion with  the Milkman about this and we just never had the time to put in work and get it done

Seeing that AG is international cant we do it? I mean for real Ag does have the capability to do it doesnt it or maybe we should just
Swing an offspring of AG and run with that?

:roll:  :?:
..Insanity is coasting throught life in a miserable existance when you have a key to a lion locked inside