Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

The "N" Word

Vexer · 59 · 13762

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
Personally I think it has grow away from the rasist meaning, to one that hip-hop cats address each other by! since I rap, Sometyms cats will make a comment like "That whiteboy is my Nigga", So its all based on in which context we use the word!, Obviously if I say it, it will cause outrage, and shit, but lets all think outside the box for a second. Honestly I dont think that anyone that raps and uses the word in is 16, intends it to be rasist!

Think about it

Explicit

Draztik

• Producer - CEO
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • Unreleased Records
dude you just used the word.... i really think twice when i use it, i really think we need to stop using it, it bares too many conatations. whiteboy is my nigga dont make it any better. i lived both sides ,south africa and the US, but i mean its like us comercializing the word KAFIR... think about it just Because our favorite emcees use it!!! i mean common.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
The argument that "some of your boys use the word" does not take away the historical meaning of the word. My view is that white people should just stay away from it, period.

Why, as a white person, would you want to use a racially-charged word that you know offends some black people because of its racist connotations? It doesn't make you more 'down' - if anything, the complete opposite.

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
You just getting it twisted, I dont use it, I was just making an example, yes it is contriversial and bad, Im not disagreeing with that!

Explicit

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Quote from: "explicit"
Personally I think it has grow away from the rasist meaning, to one that hip-hop cats address each other by! since I rap, Sometyms cats will make a comment like "That whiteboy is my Nigga", So its all based on in which context we use the word!, Obviously if I say it, it will cause outrage, and shit, but lets all think outside the box for a second. Honestly I dont think that anyone that raps and uses the word in is 16, intends it to be rasist!

Think about it

Explicit

Why do you continue to draw negative attention to yourself man?

I Agree with Draz & D Planet just steer clear of the term. If black Americans we (in my opinion) dumb enough to embrace it doesn't mean that its okay to use it.
I tire of this debate but it seems some people never learn.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

Vexer

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-0
    • View Profile
I understand the historic negative connotations the word has, however, from a social and cultural dynamics perspective isn't it legitmately possible to argue that the word's meaning has changed.

Here is an excerpt of a Styles P interview where the issue of the "N" word comes up:

Styles P: When somebody from the hood is calling you [“n***a”], there is no emotional attachment. He’s not trying to degrade you or disgrace you or anything- he’s saying it out of love. So when someone other then that calls you that, it takes it to another level. I think from us using it with each other it’s kinda turning a negative into a positive. For them to still use it, it’s a negative-negative. When we use it, it’s a loving and endearing term. No matter where the word came from, it’s [about] the context of what we use it now. The word came from somewhere but the word hot originally meant something was hot, but hot means something is cool now. It’s alright to switch those words around, but it’s not correct to switch [“n***a”] around.

At the end of the day, culture and language as a component of culture are in constant flux.

The result is that as life progress culture evolves.Has the word "N" word not evolved as well?

Maybe the problem is that the "N" word hasn't completely evolved and so it can still be used to cause offence, hence people's sensitivity bcoz the word seems to possess a double-barrel meaning depending on the context its used and on the intention of the person uttering the word.

One thing is clear though, the word can both be offensive and inoffensive depending on the intention of whoever says it.

I think if u're black and u honestly trust the relationship u have with a white cat and u know their fundamental intentions I don't see why a white person u know and trust can't adopt the term "nigga" in its benevolent sense to address u. Its like Eminem not being able to call D-12 his niggaz.

I wouldn't advise a white person to address a black dude they don't have a personal relationship with as "nigga" bcoz their intentions are not likely to be understood.

To me the most important thing is that culture evolves and the realisation that the power of the "N" word to offend lies solely in historic intention and the malicious intent of those who today choose to utter the word with a desire to offend.

However, the word itself has no inherent power to offend and ultimately whether I am offended as a black person lies in the meaning I choose to give to the word when its uttered to me.

That meaning is not purely dependant on the historcal meaning of the word, but its also dependent on the cultural norms we have today.

I will therefore only attach the historical meaning where I conclude that the person uttering the words has the intention to offend.If I conclude that there's no intention to offend, then I'll attach a benevolent meaning to the word according to the cultural norms we have today.

At the end of the day we may even rob the "N" word of its offensive power as time progresses.

Maybe one day instead of thinking the "N" word is offensive, perhaps peolpe will understand that altho its origins were negative it has come to mean something else.

Pac's own interpretation was Never Ignorant Getting Goals Accomplished.

This way maybe someday everyone will want to be a Nigga.
I stay chiseled

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
You just getting it twisted, I dont use it, I was just making an example, yes it is contriversial and bad, Im not disagreeing with that!

Explicit

BUT....

Quote from: "French Toaster"
Yo what up my fellow AG peeps, I just wanna know sumthin, how many of ya’ll feel offended when white boys use the word NIGGA, because I do.And if any of ya’ll know Explicit, he is a white boy who uses the term so freely, and he is not suppose to, like when he battled Reason on YFM, the battle turned very personal and he called Reason a nigga. And he often calls in on 5fm and uses the term so freely, I respect him as an mc, I’m actually a big fan but he was not born with the right to use the term.
Not 2 offend any white people on the site but nigga is a term which should be used by only black, coloured and Latino niggas, I don’t believe in white niggaz, it brings back bad memories for white people to use it Period.

Ya its explicit here you just making an issue out of nothing so what if I use the word, I dont use it in racist way or mean any harm, you say "hey if you black you can say nigga or latino can say nigga but because im white you feel offended? Dont I feel offended when cats say white boy in Zulu or sotho? But just cause Exlicit used Nigga its suddenly bad cause im white! Dawg get your facts straight before you talk shit! and trying draw negative attention on my a**, cause I have worked f***in hard to get the respect of the streets and you are just tryin to f*** it up for me, You have a problem address me on explicitmcu@gmail.com and tell your friends that also got offended they can send me there hate mail as well or shut the f*** up and dont make shit a public issue
Your Trully
Explicit

So now you're denying ever using the word?..

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

Tebzah

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
  • Driemanskap 4 presidency!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    • View Profile
This explicit cat sounds dead stupid..........pity I was gonna check his shit out but hey I changed my mind........I'll warn my camp not 2 lay they hands on his material too(if he got any)

Thanx 4 comming clean fool, now we know

One_man_army

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Tebzah"
This explicit cat sounds dead stupid..........pity I was gonna check his shit out but hey I changed my mind........I'll warn my camp not 2 lay they hands on his material too(if he got any)

Thanx 4 comming clean fool, now we know

I know explicit from back in the day of battles with crusade and Q, we went to the same high-school, and explicit is far from what you f***s make him out to be on this website. I want to tell you he was the first white boy that I know who came to alexandra to take up a battle challenge! He has got dope luv in alex, and soweto and any other suburb where his name had been heard. All you cats are doing is discrediting a good artist who is trying to make it, I dont think any of you f***s here have worked as hard as he has. And for your information explicit is my NIGGA and always will be.So with shit like that! its no wonder why he left.
rom the streets where pump action, speaks louder than verbs

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
If a person comes on AG and expresses an opinion, they gotta be able to stand by their word and defend themselves if need be,,, it's a discussion forum - get over it.

It's a FACT that some people get offended by the N-word. It's a FACT that Explict chooses to use it (by his own admission).

You can't pretend you didn't say something, or just tell people to 'let it go' because it's unpopular and you'd rather focus on something else.

No one has 'made him out' to be anything. I don't think anyone on AG has said that Explicit is a racist - or attempted to discredit him in any other way. If people have issues with him using the N-word they have every right to express those issues on AG.

When you become a public figure, you have to be able to accept that not everyone will see things the same way as you - you will have to answer your critics and defend yourself. Running away from issues does not silence critics.

One_man_army

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
Public this and Public that! f*** you make out as if this place is filled with puppets. As it stand explicit was f***ed up back in the day, with the rap shit and he did say nigga alot, but recently I haven't heard him say it for a good, 9 months. Its evident that he changed! and you hard headed f***s just dont understand, and hear his side of the story!
rom the streets where pump action, speaks louder than verbs