SHOULD PRODUCERS WHO SAMPLE BE GIVEN THE PROPS THEY GET :arrow:
HE MORE EMOTION I PUT INTO IT THE HARDER I ROCK

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
Yes....coz Beat Making is not easy.....cohesive focus is needed and whether u sample or not but putting sounds together is not easy....and u don't just put sounds together...for sake of putting them together..they must sound lyk one voice...lyk they were meant to be.....................  :!:  :!:
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-0
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
maybe yes, maybe no.
therez the lazy samplin style "Puffy" and the more intricate samplin "premo" 4 eg.

Who gettin paid mo'.....

That ol debate they had where Pete sampled a long loop in T.R.O.Y. - Pete & CL Smooth - which
The Large Proffessor also used by cuttin up and sampling snippets is a clear example that
it doesn't matter , as long as its phatt.

I was listening to some really old material and it seems that the music
that shaped hip hop was all mostly sampled, cats just straight jacked 2 bar loops and put raps on 'em.

I believe if its done creatively, n199az shud be paid. Reward the talent...

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
NO.

Taking a 4 bar loop (or more, hi Kanye, Puffy, Just Blaze etc).

Beatmaking is NOT easy? MAKING a beat from scratch. Building up the drums, coming up with a chord ;progression. Banging out a fat fitting ba**line.. makin up a hook, and of course the lead melody...THAT shit is NOT easy.

BUT Taking a 4 bar loop....adding some decoration on. ........puuuhlease.

I got diminished respect for jackers. I dont mind... all i know is...if it was me i would be paying tribute to my sources, not claiming to be the best producer of all time at the MTV awards after having jacked Curtis Mayfields soul.... move on up and f*** off.

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile
If what nastie ed is saying is true, then producers the likes of madlib&Jdilla internationaly,and localy nyambz& many more dont deserv the praise theyv recievd during their career.These guys built theyre rep from loops!occasionaly jd made a raw beat...
Beating bitches since 1982.

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
@ Nastie Ed
True,

I feel that
It can also boil down ta egoz.
Now u tell me, ...
The most humblest catz r the 1z who create music cause "thats what!... , emancipation.."

Eybody want to be recognized & served propz,
history repeatz itself, let yo music speak 4 itself, period.
The deepest producerz I know in this game R similar....

Right now eythang is on demand, b$Tches, Props, respect, the workz,

It's bout movin souls, Its so beautiful....

Papa ThReAdS

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
but then that makes madlib guilty of freshening up marathon samples with unorthodox hypnotic drumming and strange yet somehow relevant sounds to make that signature sound of his.does that mean he dont deserve props??

Papa ThReAdS

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Same goes for nyambz! I kno his groupies will crucify me for this,but this dude also jacks loops! Sometimes longer than 4 seconds!more than95 percent of his music is long loops.  But its what he does, and he does it beautifuly!

Papa ThReAdS

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
This brings me to my opinion. i think producers shuld be given props for good music...period!if it sounds good,he deservs the props. im no producer,but i kno that we have 3kinds of producers in hiphop.the cutters-9th,the loopdiggers-madlib,and the creators

daliq

• tha grand wizard
  • AG Elite Member
  • 'Reachin
    • View Profile
    • HomeRolledJointZ
Samplin is 1 of hip hop's foundations.

All them grooveboxes, samplers, samplin keyboards etc. had one thing in mind...., a feature which lets you record material from different sources & then offers functions to manipulate what you recorded.

Be it Korg, Ensonique, Yamaha, Roland, Akai, Boss, Emu etc and then of course the software samplers like Sampletank, Kontakt, Halion , Mach 5 etc...

Sampling has a direct correlation to Hip Hop music, It won't dissappear.

syc

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Like Dalq sed, Beatmaking is all about the end product. Producers will fret about the how, but the market as a whole doesnt really care if you sampled this or u made it from scratch. I've sampled 4 bar loops and I've sampled a Quater of a bar building a whole song around it or starting from scratch. U cant disrespect ppl coz the sample alot.What I say to myself , would I ever have bothered listening to the original sample song... chances are no. Thus the producer has introduced me into another facet of this music gem

BUT one thing i am against is sped up soul samples. Now that a purely formulated. Happily the trend is dieing down, But i believe its lazy and often too simplistic(technically)

ed didn't u change your jitsu(technique) and start sampling more... remember u saying ppl don care how much u sample as long as it sounds good.

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
sure.

Yes, i have been sampling more.

I have nothing against sampling, its what hip-hop is based on.  Though i maintain that a producer who jacks the work of someone else and repackages is does NOT deserve as much props as someone who adds their own soul. that was the question.

Sure, madlib samples loads. But the dude also plays 12 instruments, has a jazz quintet of 5... all himself. and he adds these elements to his productions. His more sampled albums i would consider to be more mixtape type ish. Dirty creative and made in a hurry on various drugs. Plus the cat is humble. Same as JDilla. He just makes good music. Sure dila samples... but bits n pieces here n there with loades of filtering etc. He doesnt just jack long pieces and then steps up on MTV or whatever claiming to be the producer of the century.

Also..the market is f***ed up. No matter how often ppl tell me that what he's doing is okay because the dude is making money at the end of it.....

I dont buy it. Music was not supposed to be a business. It is now...and thats why most music today is a heap of lifeless soulless regurgitated fast food that starts rotting the moment its released.

Taking a johny pate/ curtis mayfield etc loop shouting on top of it is in my humble opinion FRAUD. Cuz you are faking it...lying to your listeners... making them believe that that sweet piece of music that they are bumping their head to originated from YOU. when in fact all u did was loop it up. add a kick and a snare ands then sent it to a sound engineer for cleaning up...and u coould, cuz u had enough money to buy the sample.

Money is NOT a rationalisation. Money is NOT the ends that makes the means okay. It'll be some years until we start recognizing that again....i HOPE.

I think music, just like writing and other creative work should reference its sources. Next time Jayz Shouts show me what u got, Just Blaze should be in there sayin: "I got Johnny Pate's Shaft in Africa, and some drums.... you like? "

DJ_Nastie_Ed

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Threadstalker, Where do u draw the line?

What if i "sample" a whole timbaland instrumental, add a fart and a sneeze on verse 1 and 2 and then resell it under a different name..... and it sounds good.

Am i a good producer deserving respect?

Papa ThReAdS

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Look nastie,i kno it may seem like im trying to fight with you,but im not.Jus to clear the air,iv heard you stuff.I think your a great producer!I dont even understand why you arent on most albums that come out in sa.That aside,i feel that the angle at...

Papa ThReAdS

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Which you approach the question initially posed,is based on a personal dislike for a handful of producers.The question was pretty simple in my opinion.u cant say its ok for an artist like madlib to jack and not okay for kanye to jack,jus cos he plays...