Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

SA hip hop vs Hip hop made in SA

Tek

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Vexer"

Cash, if that's how it is for you cool.But all I ask u to consider is a couple of things.

Firstly, who defined "balling" for you?In-fact who even brought that word into your vocabulary and frame of reference?

Also who taught u to a**ociate the word with sipping moet, foreign "hos" etc?

Its not about u staying broke or acting like u're broke but its also a question of how u perceive the notion of success. Your perception of the notion of success seems influenced by rap lyrics.

Its different for instance from what the middle or capitalist cla**' perception of what success is.

Who taught u to interpret success in that way, and also to celebrate and articulate it in that manner?

Do u think that's a universal notion of success that u hold or rather it reflects the views of the black american undercla**?

Is that view of success appropriate in the African context?Does it do anything to advance our hustling in our own individual context as Africans?

For instance why aren't you talking about BEE schemes, stocks, shares, mutual funds and bonds?Isn't this what we really need to learn about in order to be successful?

Your frame of reference seems to have been limited by rap lyrics and u don't really pause to consider how the objects of your frame of reference i.e. moet and "hos" are relevant in our context and what purpose they actually achieve.

That's how deeply embedded in your consciousness the black american undercla** frame of reference has become. To the extent that it comes out from deep within you as a mental reflex.

Just pause to consider this if u will.I think a lot of headz r still in that very same headspace.

About going international, I don't think going international depends on how well u can soak ur music with an American/Foreign frame of reference.

For instance, Oliver Mtukudzi, Baba Maal, Yousou Ndoor (excuse my spelling), Salif Keita, Franco Luambo to name just a few made it big internationally by sticking to their own frame of reference.

Artists like Bob Marley, Fela Kuti, Harry Belafonte, Miriam Makeba, Lucky Dube etc who communicated in English were still succesful bcoz they used the English language to depict their unique frame of reference.

They didn't portray anything else other than their situations as individuals and as a people. They didn't adopt a foreign frame of reference in order to garner success.

So I believe u can make it internationally even if u flow in English but ultimately ur stories must depict where u're from in the unique vernacular of the English language that exists in ur own area e.g. the Nigerian slang used by Fela or the Jamaican slang used by Bob Marley.

I honestly think if u try and come across like an NY cat to real NY catz u'll come across as a joke. At the end of the day we don't really understand the nuances of their culture just like they don't understand ours.

Listening to Hip-Hop CDs doesn't really allow u to live vicariously thru the situations the rappers r talking about. U can learn how its like for them over there, but U can never fully understand how it is bcoz u really don't walk in their shoes.

The whole world wants to know how its like to walk in ur shoes and we want to hear u say it in ur own unique way.This is what I believe makes a great artist.

Pac used to weep in ebonics and Biggie used to be ruthless & unflinching in the same vernac.That's what made them so dope.

When its all said and done, I wish u luck in ur career, and I don't want to come across as a prophet of doom bcoz at the end of the day we're dealing with art which is subjective.

VEXER FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
she not only co-singed that but she said i shud get at these pussy a** rappers in the game and knock them the f*** out! like LL's mama!!!!!
not in those words tho!

she also said i shudnt mince my words and always be true!

so if a bitch is a bitch! thats what it is!!!! theres lots of bitches in the world!!! dont act like they dont exist! i call a woman a woman! a bitch a bitch! and even yo moms respect that! hell, ur moms probly call that bitch a** hoe at her church a bitch too! jus on the low!!!! hahahaha!!!!
@cash_sog

Ghetto Rat

• AG Hustler
  • "This world is mine for the taking"
    • View Profile
Zuluboy is d one MC/Poet whos telling genuine S.A. stories.Stay real n relevant Zulu, uyesabeka.

But someone like Crazy Lu / Loo or Moral/e doesn' t represent any kind of true South African.
y thoughts stay down-to-earth like a vicious alligator's six-pack! - Golden Shovel

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Ghetto Rat"
Zuluboy is d one MC/Poet whos telling genuine S.A. stories.Stay real n relevant Zulu, uyesabeka.

But someone like Crazy Lu / Loo or Moral/e doesn' t represent any kind of true South African.

thats an old mentality dog! have u read RICH DAD POOR DAD!!!! i think u need to read it man! u are still thinking a true South African is what it was ten years ago! so what if he's zulu! we got indian south africans,greek south africans,afrikaaner south africans, coulered south africans!!! they can tell theyre story too and its still TRUE SOUTH AFRICAN! crazy lu lives that life he raps about so its definitely a TRUE SOUTH AFRICANS STORY!!!

i tell u my true SA story! and it has nothing to do with anything u might relate to, but guess what! morale relates to it! crazy lu relates to it! and millions of other south africans who arent caught in the old ways of thinking relate to it too!!!! niggas in nigeria relate to my hustle!!!! i dun did interviews for nigerian magazines and shows and they came to us!!

u jus stuck in the past!  we ballin now! we got the freedom to do and say whatever we dream of! nelson mandela suffered for us to enjoy the opportunity to explore new ways! new ways to think! new ways to make money! new ways to expand our minds! new ways to define what a South African is! and most importantly,new ways to grow and become citizens of the world! we not jus south african! we part of the whole world!!! open ur mind!!!!

so zuluboy is tellin genuine SA zulu stories! thats great! but he has to expand at some point and tell stories that all Africans can relate to! cos he aint sellin no records! meaning not too many people relate!period! hes limited to you and a few other zulu peeps! (i bet u didnt even buy that album! whats it called! send me the track listing!) hahahaha!!!! get outta here!!!!
@cash_sog

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
hey cash, I'm understanding what you saying and your views are sinking in, hip hop is hip hop period and lots of ppl still have that old mentality hopefully the mainstream ppl will see that too, but your still cocky and need to prove most of your claims

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Bondizzo"
hey cash, I'm understanding what you saying and your views are sinking in, hip hop is hip hop period and lots of ppl still have that old mentality hopefully the mainstream ppl will see that too, but your still cocky and need to prove most of your claims

my biggest challenge is to show people that im not being cocky!!! im merely stating it the way i see it!!! i aint sugar coating nothing!!!! they say u cant teach an old dog new tricks(referring to the SA hiphop industry), so ima beat that dog till its either DEAD or WISENS UP!!!

im a new dog! a whole new breed nigga! im cut from a different cloth! its no wonder theres so much backlash when i speak!!!!! these niggas is half breed! kwai-hop!

the music speaks for itself!! go to forums- media - the monopoly(more crack)!!! download that shit!!!!!!!! listen to that shit! feel that shit! and stay posted cos we uploading more crack every two weeks!!! forever!!! period!!!!look out for us soon on radio! tv! more music videos! gigs!(2nd march - the CRACK MOVEMENT)!!!

like t-boz said nigga! aint nothin wrong wit feelin yaself! hahaha! i aint talkin bout masturbatin!!! im talkin bout havin that SWAGGER!! that CONFIDENCE IN WHATU DO and BELIEVING IN SOMETHING!!! im like NEO in the matrix man! im up againt incredible odds but i still got that strength to huslte on till the death!!!!! its that TIME!!! matter fact! its my time!!!! to you this might sound crazy! thats exactly what they said when Steve Biko spoke!!!!
yizzur!!!u wana know if im for real!come see me and we can talk FACE TO FACE!!!!
@cash_sog

blakrok

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-2
  • Roll Another One, Kid!
    • View Profile
    • BlakOut - The Original Soulah Soloist
vkdsnFKMND:LBjMBknn  8O

too many labels! ever wonder why no one talks about south african rock/punk etc?!

hmmmm :?

DRAMA BOY

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Ghetto Rat"

SA HIP HOP IS NOT RAPPING IN ZULU, NOR IS IT RELEVANT TO RAP IN ENGLISH FOR IT TO BE HIP HOP. I THINK U JUST WANT PEOPLE TO RAP LIKE HIP HOP ORIGINATED HERE... YO PUNK a** DOES NOT LISTEN WELL DO YOSELF A FAVOUR & LISTEN TO POLYGAMY & THT SHIT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THE STATES ,ONLY HERE(AFRICA & OTHER PLACES) SO I FEEL THT TRACK REPRESENTS A TRUE SOUTH AFRICAN... U JUST ANOTHER KWAITO FAN WHO IS USING HIP HOP.... NEXT THING U WILL TEL ME IS THT SA HIP HOP HAS TO  HAV AT LEAST A VERNAC VERSE....BE f***EN REAL... WHT IS TRUE SOUTH AFRICAN ...NO-ONE CAN GIVE ME A VERSION THT WILL BE TRUE IN MY MIND... THINK OUT THE BOX NIGGA
CRACK BOY WANNA BE...

1on1

• Guppie
    • View Profile

Hip-Hop is just music

I think its more then music...its Kultcha and I'm livin it.. :!:

DRAMA BOY

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
Quote from: "1on1"

Hip-Hop is just music

I think its more then music...its Kultcha and I'm livin it.. :!:

DAWG I THINK U NEED TO HAV A 1ON1 WITH A SHIT LOAD OF MCEES WHO THINK HIP HOP IS JUST MUSIC
CRACK BOY WANNA BE...

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that will kill SA Hip Hop:

Quote from: "cash"
baserock the type o nigga who take cock/
even in the kitcken in a pot he aint hot/
i call u a nigga cos im spike lee n u'll get shot/
what u know about africa nigga except a game lodge/
lions n cheetahs,i role wit hyenas/ :lol:
im a wild boy n i aint talkin MTV/
im in to money,what u know about BEE/ :lol:
pop Moet all day while u hide from the streets/
u on the block wit no change,im in the motherland, crunk!!!!/
makin it rain, i hav to, we had a drought for months :lol:
my pockets look like camels dog, damn, they got humps!!!
what u know about ballin when its 30 degrees/
keep my jewels on,yeah i keep my wrist's on freeze/
chain hang, throw it up so i can catch the African breeze/
ask funk flex about African MC's, bet u one thing, he definitely memtionin ME!

Holler!!!!!!!
i jus bodied u!!!!!!!! :wink:

COPYCATS.

Quote from: "Phonte from Little Brother"
and I agree that everybody's a biter
But if you Xerox my style, then that's infringin on my copy, right?

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
^^^Was dude biting Phonte?
If so...track?

If not..who? Which lines?

'Holla'

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Quote from: "cash"

u a pussy a** cat from the US scared of gion up the block! u cant f*** wit me man! im bigger than u! my balls is LLLLAAAAAAAARGE nigga! u a lil nigga! IM A CAPITALIST NIGGA! where u from Wisconsin? hahahahaha!
pussy! since ya name baserock! go bake yaself n go hustle bitch! :lol:

we grindin here! u only hear about it on ya favourite rap albums!
im gettin it nigga! right here in Johannesburg!

king o the EC bitch! thats the equivalent of the whole Dirty South nigga!
i run that shit! who the f*** are u? :o

fall back!

^^^
How are you gonna lace your rhymes with references to places & things you CLEARLY have NO idea about. FAKE
Its very easy to listen to US hip hop music & attempt to clone (xerox) it. But everyone (both US & SA listeners) can easily see thru it & you look stupid.
Thats when this happens:

Quote from: "Baserock"
i never been to Wisconsin but know that Wisconsin houses the city of Milwakee which leads the US in murders for the past 11 months. And i bet you wonder how a city of only 430'000 people could out-do our larger cities in the US right now huh? well, with this operation enduring freedom (iraq) 60% of the police officers in Milwakee are in military reserve components. and 35% are in Iraq right now. :)  (bet ya didn't know that.) So Wisconsin isn't as soft as you think. I saw your from Joburg, 2nd to none as murder capitol of the world. but you only mentioned you are from there once and the rest of you claim is based off how we livin on the other side. i've lost respect for you being from there reppin a distant lifestyle, you should move to George or somthing.

Don't body yourself.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I've been avoiding threads that contain arguments with Cash recently, cos they just make my brain itch, but what Vexer mentioned about African artists who go international is true.

The only ones who really make it in Europe and elsewhere, are the ones who stick to what they know and that is being African. The fact is that there are a million other cats out there rapping in american accents and using the slang and talking about shit they know nothing about. At the end of the day, that is all they are though, fake Americans, and a real American is always gonna be a better American than you, so forget it.

A funny thing is, that when you go to Europe and elsewhere, no one is even interested in an African artist if they dont "sound african", because they know American hip hop is a dime a dozen and as I already said, you wont be able to beat them at their own shit. They are interested in hearing something different. That's why you'll often see clubs in France packed to the brim with young kids when Judith Sephuma or the like are performing, whilst big-selling who rap/sing in English cant sell ten tickets.

So keep dreaming about making it big, I'll buy you a ticket to the 2010 WC, cos by then your career will be just a forgotten dream and you'll be cleaning my toilets. I'll be reverting to the bucket system especially for you.

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
Cloneman seems to be on fast lane to retardedness......
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure