Africasgateway.com

HYPE Feb/March issue

mizi. · 63 · 14681

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za
The Feb/March HYPE issue is out. This is in my opinion the best HYPE issue ever. Here is the Editorial note (before I get shut down again)

I was hangin’ with my big cuz S.E.L.F the other day and I asked him this question: ‘Which direction is hip hop moving towards?’ ‘Hip hop is becoming regionalized,’ he replied. As he explained how artists would gain recognition and support in their home towns before being exposed to the rest of us, it became clear that this hip hop game is all about dominating a piece of the map, and letting the whole world know that.

As I gave it more thought, I realised that this was happening both locally and internationally, the most notable example being that of The Game, who has single handedly managed to restore hope for west coast hip hop and put LA back on the map (p.36). At the same time, Nas has managed to place himself at the forefront of New York hip hop as he carries out his plan to bring the ‘real’ hip hop back (p.34).

When looking at the hip hop game in SA, I see the exact same patterns. Local hip hop is divided into regions. The most powerful players in these regions are the ones with the potential to take over the industry. I decided to talk to headz from all over the country, asking them which hip hop artists best represented their region. When speaking to Cape Town headz, the one name that came up more than any other was that of Middle Finga, one of the founders of a rap sub-genre known as Spaza (p.30). As I moved on to the Eastern Cape, the name of a former Drakensburg Boys Choir member, Trusenz was the most prominent (p.31). Durban was united in its support for their local hip hop band, Big Idea (p.28), while PTA stood behind The Anvils all the way (p.26).

Joburg was a difficult one. With so many stars illuminating the golden city, it was difficult to see which one stood out, so we took this question across the border. Which rapper represents SA/Joburg hip hop in the eyes of headz in areas such as Canada and Belgium. The unanimous answer was Tumi from The Volume, who has managed to take the Joburg sound around the world (p.32). Last but not least, we have an area synonymous with its unique Motswako hip hop style. Who better to represent the North West than the one… the only… Morafe (p.29).

Lets take a closer look at these artists as we find out why they are the leaders of their regions. Kick back and enjoy the Territorial issue.

The HYPE Sessions is crezy. Mixed by DJ Redwood.

kingdavid

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Hello Hater
    • View Profile
    • www.soundclick.com/viavalehustleproductions
its good to hear that some one  has the same vision as me when it comes to hip hop.
i just hope that hype will see it important to highlight more than the 4 provimces they have been highlighting since day one.

and i will send my track befor feb 15.

take note:

kingdavid.
welcome to my city(rustenburg).

Uno.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-3
  • We getz buzzay and totally berserk!!!
    • View Profile
Let me be the first to say well done for this issue, enjoyed every single page. But my only disagreement is the so-called 'CPT King'. Big UPS tho I suggest everybody go get it now. ITS DOPE!
'Off The Radar' is out there at a street near you.

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
I'm on ma way to tha store.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
Nice issue... Well done Mizi. I honestly thaught this whole kings and queens thing was going too be a disaster... but you pulled it off.
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
so who are the kings? Is young Zooloo up in there? As the king of KZN? :lol:  :lol:  If not, there's going to be some Drama on AG!

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
theres Game on it,ima buy it.
Good look there Mizi! this Hype issue will definately sell more units.
Word-up!

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
no offense to all those who exercise their right to choose and utilising their time doing other things, but i personally, not a friend of beer, would rather spend my last 19 bucks on 3 warm milk stouts than on a copy of hype magazine.

that's just me - i speak for me and nobody else. and it's a personal opinion really. :wink:
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

Elnino

• Guppie
    • View Profile
f***! Mizi Hell Know Middle Finga is not the Founder  of Spaza you can ask any cat from Cape Town.Who told you that crap, Middle Finga was in Jozi When English Cats in Cape Town who use to regard mother tounge raps as another form  of Kwaito and he was rhyming in English during that time  .If thats the case i  might as well give myself a title that  i am the prince of Spaza.The fanny thing is that the streets Of Cape Town they don't know Middle Finga so called the Spaza founder.You don't just get respect you have to earn it Bra.I guess that's the only cat that you know who flips in Spaza come to Cape Town and you see who is the real king futhermore a Cape Town King cannot crowned eJozi.

Elnino

• Guppie
    • View Profile
f***! Mizi Hell Know Middle Finga is not the Founder  of Spaza you can ask any cat from Cape Town.Who told you that crap, Middle Finga was in Jozi When English Cats in Cape Town who use to regard mother tounge raps as another form  of Kwaito and he was rhyming in English during that time  .If thats the case i  might as well give myself a title that  i am the prince of Spaza.The fanny thing is that the streets Of Cape Town they don't know Middle Finga so called the Spaza founder.You don't just get respect you have to earn it Bra.I guess that's the only cat that you know who flips in Spaza come to Cape Town and you see who is the real king futhermore a Cape Town King cannot crowned eJozi.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
Quote from: "mizi."
The Feb/March HYPE issue is out. This is in my opinion the best HYPE issue ever. Here is the Editorial note (before I get shut down again)

I was hangin’ with my big cuz S.E.L.F the other day and I asked him this question: ‘Which direction is hip hop moving towards?’ ‘Hip hop is becoming regionalized,’ he replied. As he explained how artists would gain recognition and support in their home towns before being exposed to the rest of us, it became clear that this hip hop game is all about dominating a piece of the map, and letting the whole world know that.

As I gave it more thought, I realised that this was happening both locally and internationally, the most notable example being that of The Game, who has single handedly managed to restore hope for west coast hip hop and put LA back on the map (p.36). At the same time, Nas has managed to place himself at the forefront of New York hip hop as he carries out his plan to bring the ‘real’ hip hop back (p.34).

When looking at the hip hop game in SA, I see the exact same patterns. Local hip hop is divided into regions. The most powerful players in these regions are the ones with the potential to take over the industry. I decided to talk to headz from all over the country, asking them which hip hop artists best represented their region. When speaking to Cape Town headz, the one name that came up more than any other was that of Middle Finga, one of the founders of a rap sub-genre known as Spaza (p.30). As I moved on to the Eastern Cape, the name of a former Drakensburg Boys Choir member, Trusenz was the most prominent (p.31). Durban was united in its support for their local hip hop band, Big Idea (p.28), while PTA stood behind The Anvils all the way (p.26).

Joburg was a difficult one. With so many stars illuminating the golden city, it was difficult to see which one stood out, so we took this question across the border. Which rapper represents SA/Joburg hip hop in the eyes of headz in areas such as Canada and Belgium. The unanimous answer was Tumi from The Volume, who has managed to take the Joburg sound around the world (p.32). Last but not least, we have an area synonymous with its unique Motswako hip hop style. Who better to represent the North West than the one… the only… Morafe (p.29).

Lets take a closer look at these artists as we find out why they are the leaders of their regions. Kick back and enjoy the Territorial issue.

The HYPE Sessions is crezy. Mixed by DJ Redwood.

yo MIZI!!!!! look out for the MONOPOLY!!!! we gon feature a lot in the HYPE from now on!!!!!! trust ME!!!!!!!!!! its over!!!!!!
@cash_sog

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Elnino"

I always knew that there would be disageements on choosing Kings. I hear that Hype chose the Big Idea for KZN. Tight group, although relatively unknown compared to other groups in KZN. this will make some people unhappy, but I believe this is the Durban group likely to have a big impact nationally and even internationally. on the streets and ekasi, it's a different matter though. ibutho, Ewok, Nymphonics, GPM (damn, would be great if GPM took it, but they are not pure hip hop) would be favourites from DBN cats.

Cape Town - I'm surprised ben Sharpa or Writer's Block (including Konfab) did not make the cut. . EL Nino can you please upload your track (in a different thread perharps). A lot been said about your crew, but I have not heard much. perhaps that's why Middle is more well known. A lot of his tracks are in circulation.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
The first time I get any writing published in HYPE for a little while, and I'm at the other side of the world where I can't get a copy. Gutted.

Upload a pdf for me Mizi? Pretty please?  :P
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

King Hintsa

• Guppie
    • View Profile
WACK NIGGERS ARE  ALWAYS  GETTING PROPS THAT THEY DON'T DESERVE I THINK HYPE MAG SHOULD DO THEIR RESEARCH PROPERLY.

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Quote from: "merchant"

I always knew that there would be disageements on choosing Kings. I hear that Hype chose the Big Idea for KZN. Tight group, although relatively unknown compared to other groups in KZN. this will make some people unhappy, but I believe this is the Durban group likely to have a big impact nationally and even internationally. on the streets and ekasi, it's a different matter though. ibutho, Ewok, Nymphonics, GPM (damn, would be great if GPM took it, but they are not pure hip hop) would be favourites from DBN cats.

True! There is so much Talent in Here 2 THE POINT I GET emotional when i see these niggas aint getting no shine,peeps been providing me with these guys mixtapes and albums from Ewok,GPM,Ibutho,Sean/Shaun G AKA MAGAULA & all them Niggaz from Umlazi.