Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Hip Hop is not for Africans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funkymonkey

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.whitemasters.con
The issue of hip hop not being a genre that South Africans can love and enjoy is really a biased topic if you think about it. While watching the painful S.A.M-Awards over the weekend, it hit me after the announcing of the song of the year which Dj Sbu walked away with?!?!? There he was, on stage receiving an award for making the nation dance to a song that isn’t his?!?!?!?! He did absolutely nothing to the song. Just rearranged it then put a Sbu label on it.

That happens with almost 98% of these bastards who try cripple hip hop in this country, claiming that hip hop is not South African, we are copying Americans, when all these house dj’ing M.F’s just compile house tracks from Europe and the U.S and release a compilation album. All of them, from Sbu, to Fresh, to Oskido, to Christos and Vinnie, and basically everyone in the industry.

And then they have the ordesity to label us as “ama-fake American wanna be’s” Where’s the justice in this?!?!
ANG! like BANGi Inc.
copyrights (c)  2001.
All rights reserved.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Even though I HATE when people say this as I mature I realise some of the reasons people say this DO make sense.

I have cousins in rural Zimbabwe and in the loxion who cannot relate to the frame of references used in much of the hip hop that I enjoy.
Just like any other music genre it is about the relevance to the listener.
As much as I believe music is universal I have tried to introduce my sekuru (cousin) to Nas & Optical Illusion but he doesn't get into it.

The challenge for African hip hop artists is to make hip hop that is accessible to their own people. They did it in the US. We can do it back home.
PROkid made some accessible music, Zubz made some too, Konfab makes a lot.
Now try playing some "crack" that is being pushed these days for "non-hip hoppers" in Africa...
People call them wannabes because lets face it they ARE.

Not to say that artists do not have the right to make that music.
We need to acknowlede its limitations within the African context.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
the funny thing is our SO CALLED intellectuals on AG and in Africa in general, seem to exclude the different types of AFRICANS in AFRICA!

They always make examples of rural africans!
White,Coloured,Indian,Urban black Africans all listen to HIPHOP and all can comprejend and access the type of HIPHOP we are all talking about!
YES dude! ya cousin aint feelin Nas and Optical Ill,i dont feel em either! whats ur point! I BET THE NIGGA DIGS PAC or FIDDY!!!!! hahahhahhaha!
he got enough knowledge to know that Optical is trash and Nas is jus boring!

stop referring to Africans as some dumb tribal folks with no grasp of tupac,jay-z,snoop and hiphop as a whole cos thats TOTAL bullshit!

There is a huge diversity when referring to an AFRICAN! so ur theory is really baseless! MOST africans are VERY aware and actively participating in GLOBAL cultures such as HIPHOP! we all listen to hiphop,rock,pop,dancehall,reggae,dance,house,jazz, watch movies, read magazines,ect. its rediculous to say that artists like Prokid make accessible music when they really do garbage that nobody buys!

HIPHOP is definitely for AFRICANS!
stop lying!
@cash_sog

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Quote from: "cash"
Optical is trash

8O  8O  8O  8O

You're kidding right ????? Optical Illusion is probably the best hip-hop group in this country.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Bondizzo"
Optical who ?

:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :evil:  :evil:
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Saskia

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
8O OH MY f***EN WORD!
For ONCE I actually agree with something Cash says.

the funny thing is our SO CALLED intellectuals on AG and in Africa in general, seem to exclude the different types of AFRICANS in AFRICA!
They always make examples of rural africans!
White,Coloured,Indian,Urban black Africans all listen to HIPHOP and all can comprejend and access the type of HIPHOP we are all talking about!

I'm with you till there

he got enough knowledge to know that Optical is trash and Nas is jus boring!!

I don't agree. That's YOUR opinion. Then again,I think the CRACK shit you do is trash.

stop referring to Africans as some dumb tribal folks with no grasp of tupac,jay-z,snoop and hiphop as a whole cos thats TOTAL bullshit!

Have to agree here again. People always seem to make "Africans" seem like rural folk who are stuck in ancient times :roll:

There is a huge diversity when referring to an AFRICAN! so ur theory is really baseless! MOST africans are VERY aware and actively participating in GLOBAL cultures such as HIPHOP! we all listen to hiphop,rock,pop,dancehall,reggae,dance,house,jazz, watch movies, read magazines

Artists make music to talk about THEIR experiences. Not everyone may relate to those experiences. Then again, who said they have to
quot;Life's a bitch and drugs don't work!"

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
Eish I've only heard two joints from Optical and in my opinion they r dope, if distribution was not a problem (or I don't hustle hard enuff to get stuff) I would have a copy of them...any1 in Cape please hook the brother up.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
ps.SBU won cos thats what house DJ's do - they REMIX POPULAR SONGS!!!
he picked the best one to remix! people loved the remix and he won!
GET OVER IT!
if he can do it! you can! THEN U WONT BE COMPLAININ WHEN U WIN SONG OF THE YR!
stop complainin! its not so hard!
IM GON REMIX SUM TRACK TOO and DO a HOUSE compilation! hahaha :D

i aint playin man! real talk!
@cash_sog

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
do these house dj's pay for royalty's etc for remixing other ppl's tracks ?

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Quote from: "funkymonkey"
That happens with almost 98% of these bastards who try cripple hip hop in this country, claiming that hip hop is not South African, we are copying Americans, when all these house dj’ing M.F’s just compile house tracks from Europe and the U.S and release a compilation album. All of them, from Sbu, to Fresh, to Oskido, to Christos and Vinnie, and basically everyone in the industry.

And then they have the ordesity to label us as “ama-fake American wanna be’s” Where’s the justice in this?!?!

This is an interesting new take on this debate. I'd never thought of it from the House angle before. I guess the big difference is that House is instrumental. Local 'Americanised' Hip Hop features American accents and often styles of dressing. I guess this gives the haters ammunition.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
do these house dj's pay for royalty's etc for remixing other ppl's tracks ?

They should be paying publishing, yes.

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
Optical who ?

Look in freedom day gig thread and u will see whats up.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
lol I don't care if they performing, before you can even say they the best they need to make some hits dammit, I don't think they have any hits, prove me wrong

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
For Hip Hop 'purists' (Golden Era lovers) I think Optical Illusion has come as close as its possible to get to making a hit. Although I doubt they have sold many units.