Best Female Lyricist

GudEar · 83 · 20451

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
We've got a problem guys.

Whenever this discussion comes up, people go back to the same MCs. Jean, Lauryn, Heather B, Rah Digga, Apani B, Eve, Lady of Rage. All but one of those hasn't produced anything half-decent in years. Even cats like Psalm One and Ty Phoenix have a sporadic output at best.

Not one MC on XXL's '09 preview cover was a lady. You won't find any female MC on the top album selling charts. And despite the fact that many hip-hop radio DJs are female (chech Hot 97, Sarah Love in the UK, Lee until recently, even Mmabatho and Cath from the Hiphocalypse) the artists they're playing aren't.

Locally this seems less of an issue (Blakrok, Nozizi, Nthabi, EJ, Burni, Shame, Endz, Supa, Skye Wanda, Qba...not bad!) but there is still something missing here.

What is it?

you make a very compelling argument there Rob and it is cause of much concern.

in my opinion, not that many of the radio jocks you've mentioned and some that you havent have had that much exposure to female emcees, more often than not it is a conscious choice on their part simply because their occupations are heavily dictated by what is socially deemed as HOT in the streets and not by their personal tastes.

and we all know that what is HOT is shaped by the corprate machine that stands to gain more from mediocore raps with little or no content. simply put, Radio stations tend to take their que from big record companies that increase thier turnover per record spin.

moreover, i personally believe that another devastating factor to the female emcee cause is the fact that in many cases when the mere idea of a female emcee is considered we have been brain washed to think about a scantly dressed woman whose intellectual prowess is hardly the crux of the set whenever she picks up the mic. take LiL Kim for eg. she was flames in the Quiet storm remix but truth be told she was practically naked :-[.

its a sad reality that the real female emcees out there are not recognized because of the societal stereotypes, i have a boy of mine who came over, bumped Eternia and thought it was a dude, the moment i told him it was a chick he readjusted his initial opinion of how dope she was  :-\.

if you happened to have seen a doccie on SA female emcees "Counting Heads", they tackle the same issue.

the next question i think to ask should be HOW best can we alleviate this skewed view of lyrisicim?

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile
We've got a problem guys.

Whenever this discussion comes up, people go back to the same MCs. Jean, Lauryn, Heather B, Rah Digga, Apani B, Eve, Lady of Rage. All but one of those hasn't produced anything half-decent in years. Even cats like Psalm One and Ty Phoenix have a sporadic output at best.

Not one MC on XXL's '09 preview cover was a lady. You won't find any female MC on the top album selling charts. And despite the fact that many hip-hop radio DJs are female (chech Hot 97, Sarah Love in the UK, Lee until recently, even Mmabatho and Cath from the Hiphocalypse) the artists they're playing aren't.

Locally this seems less of an issue (Blakrok, Nozizi, Nthabi, EJ, Burni, Shame, Endz, Supa, Skye Wanda, Qba...not bad!) but there is still something missing here.

What is it?

you make a very compelling argument there Rob and it is cause of much concern.

in my opinion, not that many of the radio jocks you've mentioned and some that you havent have had that much exposure to female emcees, more often than not it is a conscious choice on their part simply because their occupations are heavily dictated by what is socially deemed as HOT in the streets and not by their personal tastes.

and we all know that what is HOT is shaped by the corprate machine that stands to gain more from mediocore raps with little or no content. simply put, Radio stations tend to take their que from big record companies that increase thier turnover per record spin.

moreover, i personally believe that another devastating factor to the female emcee cause is the fact that in many cases when the mere idea of a female emcee is considered we have been brain washed to think about a scantly dressed woman whose intellectual prowess is hardly the crux of the set whenever she picks up the mic. take LiL Kim for eg. she was flames in the Quiet storm remix but truth be told she was practically naked :-[.

its a sad reality that the real female emcees out there are not recognized because of the societal stereotypes, i have a boy of mine who came over, bumped Eternia and thought it was a dude, the moment i told him it was a chick he readjusted his initial opinion of how dope she was  :-\.

if you happened to have seen a doccie on SA female emcees "Counting Heads", they tackle the same issue.

the next question i think to ask should be HOW best can we alleviate this skewed view of lyrisicim?
l dig that you touched on a little bit of everything.

I personally experienced this type of shallow mindedness. Anyone close to me know that I can right very well and I take pleasure in doing just that. One day while still being in high school my boyz and I hit Ghandi for a battle and I happend to spit a few lines and the first thing that came out he's mouth was " Bitch" and this was a guy that couldnt even pay for a 5$ zim ho.
He crushed my dreams for many years and I gave up the M.I.C and now I'm what you'd call a "Bedroom Mcee"
Point being, how many talented women is this narrow mindedness gonna kill? Or have done so already! :'(   >:(

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
^^^^^^ hehe, i hear you. but yo, ignore the haters mayn, step ooutside the bedroom closet and pick up that mic again, hold it down for the sisters ;)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Another important thing that was mentioned by someone, but everyone seemd to miss, is that Nthabi is lesbian.

I have no problem with this, since it is her life choice. What I do have a problem with is that she didn't wanna give me her ex's dgits that night at the quest love gig.

Nthabi, if you're reading this, PM please.

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Another important thing that was mentioned by someone, but everyone seemd to miss, is that Nthabi is lesbian.

I have no problem with this, since it is her life choice. What I do have a problem with is that she didn't wanna give me her ex's dgits that night at the quest love gig.

Nthabi, if you're reading this, PM please.

LOL!! so thats what u were tryna do when i left. i thought u was tryna straighten her out or something. jokes lol!
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
LOL!! so thats what u were tryna do when i left. i thought u was tryna straighten her out or something. jokes lol!
I wouldn't have minded that either.
Not at all.

Not at all.

Hi Nthabi...

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile

Alias

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Locally: Nthabi, Blakrok, Sisanda (From 5th Floor, I think) Endzi, Skye Wanda, Cuba, Nel, Evesdrop, Goddessa...

Internationaly: L-Boogie, Invincible(Too Ill), Jean Grae, Bahamadia,Rah Digga, Queen Latifah, Kim, Foxy...