The saying this on national radio in the US:

S. African Reggae Star Lucky Dube Killed in Attempted Car-Jacking
By Scott Bobb
Johannesburg
19 October 2007

http://voanews.com/english/2007-10-19-voa5.cfm
Bobb report (mp3) - Download 488k
Listen to Bobb report (mp3)

South African Reggae star Lucky Dube has been killed in an apparent car-jacking attempt. The 43 year-old musician was shot Thursday night in a suburb south of Johannesburg. Correspondent Scott Bobb reports from our bureau there.

South African police say the renowned Reggae musician was shot by three gunmen as he dropped off his son in the Rosettenville suburb of Johannesburg.

Police spokesperson Lorraine Van Emmerick told national radio that Lucky Dube's daughter also witnessed the shooting.

"He was hijacked. He was able to flee from the scene," said Van Emmerick. "His children were out of the vehicle at the time Mr. Dube was shot. He was declared dead at the scene by the paramedics."

Lucky Dube achieved world fame through music with a social message such as this 2003 song about the ravages of AIDS, called "Number in the Book."

He received some 20 awards during his 25-year career and was the first South African musician to be signed by the Motown recording label in the United States.

Born in 1964 to an impoverished family in northeastern Mpumalanga Province, Lucky Dube released his first album at the age of 18 years. He began his career performing the urbanized Zulu music called Mbaqanga. But he also recorded albums in Afrikaans, the language of the white minority.

Dube made his mark on the international scene with Reggae music and became one of the best-known African vocalists of the genre.

His first Reggae album, Rastas Never Die, was banned by the apartheid government in the mid-1980s.

The spokesman for Dube's Gallo music label, Arnold Mabunda says Dube was one of the country's most successful musicians.

"He was one of the biggest contributors in the South African music industry. Yeah. And now we are saddened," said Mabunda.

South Africa has one of the highest murder rates in the world, with nearly 20,000 homicides last year.

Many of the killings occur during robberies and hijackings. These are common in a country where one-half of the population lives on less than $2 per day.

the brand®

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
shit aint real yo
when i saw this post i thought cats were jus fukin around but then the news killed it.

i was never one for his music till i saw the dude at the Macufe reggea fest

he killed it yo.............

he was good at what he did peformance wise.

R.I.P :cry:

illmas

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Witness in silence"
Celebs need to get their rides amored

No.
The government needs to start handing out bulletproof jackets like they do condoms.

:idea: Fo dolo

Stone the Dave

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Seems da angle has changed from hijacking to a**issination. Word in todays paper. I hope it won't be another one of those man murdered for his fortune by paranoid/jealous wife. There is mo to dis story dan what we being told.
hawelution CC. The ultimate IT Solution.

Taf1

• AG Regular
    • REP: +1/-5
  • Of deluded minds and manipulated opinions
    • View Profile
Yea man as far as i heard its got to do with the fact that he was apparently shagging Nomzamo Madikizela and someone dint appreciate that. After all carjackers wouldnt want blood in the car they wanna steal right??? So if they was gon shoot they would prolly do so after forcing ue outta the ride. Something just aint right.

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
Quote from: "RearrangedReality"
Oh no!! this is sad man, damn. probably the first musician i ever loved because of his lyrics when i didnt even understand english that well. you didnt deserve to die like this man.

Rest in peace Lucky Dube.  :cry:

The first ca**ette i bought was of Luck Dube and this was in 1988... :cry:  :cry:

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: "blaqsouljah"
I say let's take it to the criminals - the ones in our government that is. It's hard to see crime through the teflon laden bodies of their broad body guards.

Kill politician and criminal alike. People dying senselessly - is this what we should be patriotic towards??

Rest in peace Lucky Dube, and to all those who's lives we celebrated and cherised (brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, lovers and friends) only to be cut short by violent and unfeeling deeds of callous bastards.

Ditto

Stone the Dave

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Quote from: "Taf1"
Yea man as far as i heard its got to do with the fact that he was apparently shagging Nomzamo Madikizela and someone dint appreciate that. After all carjackers wouldnt want blood in the car they wanna steal right??? So if they was gon shoot they would prolly do so after forcing ue outta the ride. Something just aint right.
cheating he was they say or was he separted from wife. People get mad over dis type shit.
hawelution CC. The ultimate IT Solution.

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: "MrC"
RIP to a legend.

I remember his video for "I got you baby, to make me feel alright" at Ellis Park. I was blessed to be there with my Aunt( a huge Chiefs fan). I think it was the Mainstay Cup or JPS knock out or something. Shit was off the hook !!!

This country is going to the dumps.

That is i remembered when i first heard the sad news about his death...and i think that was the case for most of us who were born in the 70s.....