Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

The Glitz Mixtape....Coming soon

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
if u say music has its time and place, then i think uv solved the SA HIPHOP riddle!

Nobody will EVER be in the MOOD for the GARBAGE SA cats is putting out!
there is no time or place anymore for the likes of Hymphatic....his time and place have pa**ed. Yes, we acknowledge he got lyrical skills. CONGRATS! my lil brother got lyrical skills too!

South Africans have a GREAT musical EAR. they wana dance(Johnny Cleg, Mango Groove,Chicco,Arthur, Mdu,Boom shaka, Kabelo, Dj Cleo), feel emotions(Ladysmith Black Mambazo,Malaika, Revolution), get intimate(Ringo,Ntando, Danny K, Loyiso), fight the power(Lucky Dube,B.o.P,Bongo Maffin),be controvercial and sexy(Ma Brrr,Lebo Mathosa, Kelly Khumalo,Thebe), be spiritual(REbecca, Joyous celebration), laugh(Senyaka, Leon Shuster, L'vovo,Bricks), cry(Ma Brrr, Zola,Lebo Mathosa), attitude and swagger(Ma Brr(again), HHP,Zola, Kabelo Bouga 2 Shooz, SLiqour, Lebo Mathosa) with their music. This type of MUSIC always has a time and place!......notice the BIG HIT MAKERS are mentioned more than once!

Like i said Jozi are the only ones so far who are BRINGIN IT! Dance,Emotion, Swagger.
HHP as well!

All the artists u mentioned D are JUST RAPPING! if u talking ART, lets talk, songwriting, creating melodies, being able to express urself so that a 7yr old - 60yr old have an IDEA of what ur tryin to say. Making GOOD HOOKS! punchline BRIDGES! COMPOSING a RAP/HIPHOP SONG!!! beat selection and conceptualising in a simple yet complex manner! Creating the build up to the Climax in a song, like Tupac did! Striving to be FRESH and creative, like Outkast do!

Not the same old,
my rhymes are like.....
i come thru.....
my lyrics are like....
etc......
thats a FORMULA right there.
so if U look deeper, u'll realise whose really keepin it stale and sticking to a formula.
but this is the " Im a smart a** broke a** conscious MC keepin it real" formula.
if i had to choose one of the evils, id take the Souljah Boy formula anyday!
the point im making is, lets make HIT RECORDS! and stop this NO PROGRESS a** BULLSHIT! its TIRED NOW!
@cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
What about originality?

Jozi is a formula. It's a relatively successful commercial formula and I respect that, but there is no time or place in my life for such music. Sure it's catchy and I can remember the hook after one listen, but the same can be said for a TV jingle.

We need an avant-garde - artists who push boundaries and challenge cultural norms or music becomes nothing more than a cynical numbers game.

The commercial culture of popular music is driven by profit-fixated motives which are not the ideals of true art. True avant-garde creativity has nothing to do with the market-driven fashion and superficial stylistic 'innovation' that you are using to lionise these manufactured pop artists.

You cannot necessarily equate 'quality' with 'sales'. There are many groundbreaking artists who have shaped the course of the history of music who have never had a hit record. Are the cast of 'High School Musical 2' great artists because they outsold Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Nas and Kanye? Of course not.

There is nothing wrong with making lightweight catchy music that touches many people, but not all concepts can be reduced to simplistic rhyming couplets, catchy hooks and punchlines. Why should everything be dumbed-down to sell?

I am well aware of the primary critique of the avant-garde - that it alienates the ma**es and tends to appeal to the so-called intelligentsia - but our culture will stagnate without the innovation and experimentation that the school of thought that artists such as Ben Sharpa, KONFAB or Hymphatic Thabs represent.

You talk about being "fresh and creative", but you don't seem to understand that what this means. 'Freshness' is not about wearing Bathing Ape or having swagger. Freshness comes from innovating new styles and pushing boundaries. If all our producers are doing their best to sound like Swizz Beats and all our rappers are trying to emulate Fabulous, where is South African innovation going to come from?

Like I keep saying, I'm not a musical snob, but we'll never have truly great South African Hip Hop artists if all we do is copy tried and tested formulas and then congratulate ourselves when they sell.

Bondizzo

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • www.demcrackboys.com
the platform for hip hop just has to be rebuilt, the music has to go further than our local boundaries, watch 08, the crack movement is here

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
the platform for hip hop just has to be rebuilt, the music has to go further than our local boundaries, watch 08, the crack movement is here

what does that mean?

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
Man this argument is wack!!!  ??? ??? ???

but on the real....Just do U and be real thats all one needs to do in this modern day....and to be honest swagger is merely the way u carry urself whether is being charismatic like say a busta rhymes or T.I to bein laid back like a mase or a scarface...its not wearing a bathin ape hoddie ( not clownin them hoodies i got me one too!!) or lookin like u jumped out of the MIMMS video its merely who u are and how u carry urself through ur music. and that doesnt mean u just sayin i got swagger in ur lyrics....in a clearly nonsensical manner like many cats are doin right now!!

anyways i respect all y'all! 1

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
again D, u bein ignorant to what im sayin!
i never said lets COPY! i was using them American dudes as examples(since they are the BEST EXAMPLES of SUCCESS in HIPHOP! similar to how Michael Jordan is the best example of BBall)
Theres a difference in COPYING a FORMULA and LEARNING from a FORMULA!
What do u think EDUCATION is based upon!

S.A cats have CREATED their OWN formula and have FAILED!
Ben Sharpa,Konfab, all these dudes, have ADAPTED a FORMULA as well! The school of thought FORMULA! its BORING AND PLAYED OUT! and it aint ORIGINAL either! KRS BEEN DOIN THAT! u claim theyre experimental and innovative, but ironically, these are the same dudes who stick to OLDSCHOOL BEATS,rap about THE LOVE OF HIPHOP all the time,scared to use anything but a SNARE on beats, STUCK IN BOOMBAP,refuse FLAT OUT to collaborate with other musicians in other GENRES such as POP, RnB, and EVEN sub GENRES of HIPHOP!

i think these are the guys who are REALLY stuck in a FORMULA DOG! real talk!

the only dudes who really did it CREATIVELY, i wud say are dead prez! their music was catchy AND educating! it was in the CLUB and REVOLUTIONARY!

Jozi for me, have shown WAY more creativity and originality than EVERY cat in SA HIPHOP in 07!
The proof is there! Look how they have stood out while the rest of us formed PART OF THE PACK(within the FORMULA).
U seem to have a problem with MUSIC being CATCHY. newsflash! yes! music must make u wana sing-a-long! listen to it over and over! have fun. party widit! and learn! Bob Marley did it! so theres no excuse, NIGGAS NEED TO LEARN TO MAKE HIT RECORDS while tryin to EDUCATE or WHATEVER they wana do.

ps. the cast of High School Musical are definitely great artists or great artists to be. they can ACT,SING and DANCE! and their still young and full of energy and OPEN enough to learn the GAME. These are the type of kids who gone be the next Michael Jacksons,Christina Aguileras and Justin Timberlakes and further into MOVIES,etc! u cant hate! STOP FRONTING!
its not ALL about rapping!

i aint tryin to get all into a whole argument dog. jus expressin another side of the coin. i try to live on BOTH sides cos life will never be ONE dimensional. same applies to hiphop!
@cash_sog

DRAMA BOY

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
GUESS WHOES f***EN BACK....DBOY IN THE HOUSE DID U FAGGOTS MISS ME... ANYWAY D & CASH YO'LL R DOING THE SAME THING BUT IN DIFF STYLES... D U PUSHING THE WC  & CASH U PUSHING EC. OBVIOUSLY U WUD DIFFER IN STYLES & BELIEFS BUT FROM WHERE IM STANDING U f***ERS R DOING THE SAME THING... I MUST SAY U  BOTH HAV DIFF EARS & PRODCUTION IS ON DIFF ENDS OF THE SCALE...

HERE IS A PROPOSAL... D GIVE CASH A BEAT & CASH PUT SOME CRACK ON THT BEAT & THEN U GIVE D A BIT THEN LET KONFAB BODY IT... THIS WILL BE 2 DIFF WORLDS COMING 2GETHER... IT MIGHT BE TIGHT TRY IT....
CRACK BOY WANNA BE...

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
You obviously ain't heard enough Ben Sharpa or KONFAB. We are creating our own genre. The beats combine influences from dub, electro, dubstep, reggae, techno and traditional music from Africa, China and Finland (to name a few). We are collaborating with international artists from genres you probably never even heard of. I'm the last person in the world to be stuck in the past, trust me. I haven't felt boom bap since the 90s. Go and search thru my posts if you want proof of that.

Cash, you ain't even listening to what I'm saying. I have nothing against pop music. It's just not for me! I don't listen to music that has been made purely to move units.

I have respect for what Jozi are doing from a business point of view, but they are a boy band with no musical depth. It's an obvious commercial formula; take latest dirty south beat, add one part Traditional South African sample, add two parts bathing ape rappers, add one part RnB singer = formula. That's my opinion. You might think they are the freshest, most original thing you ever heard, but it does nothing for me because I don't like pop music.

You can spend hours telling me how good Britney Spears is but I ain't gonna start listening to it. Same with High School Musical. My daughter has it on rewind all day long - she loves it because she's six years old and hasn't developed a more sophisticated musical aesthetic. Of course it's good in terms of pop music, but in terms of music it's garbage. And if you think Zac Efron can dance then you don't know what dancing is.

If your musical paradigm is based on making money, then naturally your idols should be people who make hits. That is not the paradigm I'm working in. I want to create a legacy of originality. I want to push Hip Hop in new directions and be in the vanguard. If you want to compare bank balances in 2008 we can do that too ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:18:43 PM by Dplanet »

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
^
'she loves it because she's six years old and hasn't developed a more sophisticated musical aesthetic.'

I had to laugh at that..
lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
yeah. D. like i said. im not tryin toget into a big BOOHAA wit ya! jus expressin another side of the coin.
The fact that ur daughter listens to HSM is cos she ENJOYS THE MUSIC. u cant diss her by sayin NAAA SHE JUS STUPID,she aint Inteligent in terms of MUSIC. thats wrong man.

A lot of HIPHOP cats seem to also share this sentiment that PEOPLE JUS STUPID. these are the same people u want to buy ur MUSIC????
I enjoy the HSM stuff too! But i also appreciate the likes of Common and more conscious musicians.

I think your dislike of POP music is misguided!
How can u say u aint feelin Michael Jackson, Justin, Lauren Hill, Maraiah Carey, Timbo, Gwen Stefani, Akon. P Diddy, Jamiroquai, MAxwell, Jill Scott, Robin Williams, Mary J Blige, The Notorious BIG ,Nelly Futardo etc.... ALL POP STARS!
That dont make sense?
Yes, artists like Britney are WHACK! but they dont represent ALL POP MUSIC. there IS trashy POP, jus like there is TRASHY HIPHOP.

I apologise for my lack of knowledge regarding the music u cats do! but its not OUT THERE. its isolated.

With all the influences u mentioned in the music it shouldnt be far from the KEY FORMULA of POP music(taking influences from many different genres)....so its safe to say, u guys are actually in theory, doing UNDERGROUND POP MUSIC!!! ;)
i mean the same stuff that influences yall(dub, electro, dubstep, reggae, techno and traditional music from Africa, China and Finland),
i cud say are the same for Gwen Stefani,Madonna, Daft Punk and acts like Gnarls Barkley and Kanye West even. Thyre POP arent they?. :o

Guys, enjoy the rest of 07 and have yourselves a fruitful new year!
08 gone be oh so great!
ONE!
Much luv to all my peeps on AG!
As always, first and foremost, i respect errbodys words beleifs and opinions and continue to learn and absorb all the knowledge given.
i just hope the same is reciprocated with my input!
ALL THE BEST FELLAZ(and LADIES).
Im OUT!
@cash_sog

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
YEAH! CASH AND D-PLEEZY,BATTLE IT OUT ON NEW YEARS EVE,GET A LIFE GUYS! HA HA HA HA HA HA.Go to the beach or something

On a more serious tip Icant agree or disagree more with u guys,i believe delicate shit such as the way one sounds or wanna sound like, should come naturally n shouldnīt really be worked on, thereīs sooo much shit to try but sooo few cats that dare
Art, regardless of what genre should be a reflection of the artists environment n surroundings, thoī maybe influenced or inspired ainīt nothin like originality.
the problem with an awful lotta hiphop cats out here is that they try too hard to sound a particular way to appeal to some audience or meet certain standards, i swear i see an awful lotta fake a** local Canibuses, Wu-tangs, Company Flows n whatnots in these here parts, itīs like peepsīre convinced thereīs sets of laws n regualtions to follow in order to sound "nice" n thatīs not only where originalty suffers major a** blows but also where theyīre wrong.
i could be talkin kak but i beleive that if only more heads were truer to themselves n went all out to break grounds n did more of what they feel instead of  what they feel could  blow internationally then i bet that, that “definitive sound” yīallīre talkin aboutīd naturally pop in right thru international eardrums as a breeze of fresh air "somethin with its definite global influences yet original"
n if u really look into it thatīs exactly what Kwaito did n quite unintentionally, in other words, more naturally
when peeps like Talib shows up in SA he couldnīt give a phuck about some SA rappin cats rippin shit exactly like 1000000 others do in NY,  n thatīs why peeps like Max Normal or Tumi seem to tour n get noticed n recognized overseas more often than dudes like Optical Ill or Proverb
only my opinion... Peace HAPPY NEW YEAR

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:41:52 PM by Rip_the_jacker »

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Hahahah,,, you're right. What are we doing talking shit on new year's eve! :)

(Also apologies to The Glitz for hijacking this thread).

Thanks to everyone on AG for doing your thing. We may argue about everything but we're all in this together. Have happy and safe new year. See you in 2008.

PEACE!

**MORALE**

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/neoshantyentertainment
Yo D you need to put the Glitz or Morale article on ya homepage....ya dig

**MORALE**

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/neoshantyentertainment
 J. Period
Brooklyn, NY
Added: January 24, 2008

J. Cole - Losing My Balance
Blitz The Amba**ador - Free At Last
AC - Rae Told Me
Termanology - Amazing
Stimulus - Racing Against The Sun
Vamoose - Bandit Love
Seek - Perspective
Maggz - Lost In My Shit (South Africa)

Anjulie - Morning Sun (J. Period Remix)
Game Rebellion - Back Down (J. Period Remix)

We run shit check this out on

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/mixtape

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
J. Period
Brooklyn, NY
Added: January 24, 2008

J. Cole - Losing My Balance
Blitz The Amba**ador - Free At Last
AC - Rae Told Me
Termanology - Amazing
Stimulus - Racing Against The Sun
Vamoose - Bandit Love
Seek - Perspective
Maggz - Lost In My Shit (South Africa)

Anjulie - Morning Sun (J. Period Remix)
Game Rebellion - Back Down (J. Period Remix)

We run shit check this out on

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/mixtape

good work!