Africasgateway.com

17 year old kid goes on a rampgae here in rsa

Nar8iv · 18 · 7493

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
man , its hectic - i watched the news last nite & saw this story.
but i didnt catch  - why do they think this is politically motivated?
what happened to the boy? is he in police custody?

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
I just have issues with the reporting...its almost glossed over and faceless....especially if youre reading news on the net. ...whereas the opposite would be true of a story where white people are victims....you get all the gory details, including sad images of people looking glazed, helpless and violated.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
afrikaans
http://www.news24.com/Beeld/Suid-Afrika/0,,3-975_2252449,00.html

english
http://www.702.co.za/news/news.asp

Devastation as a youth murders four people 16/01/2008 07:42:28

Swartruggens residents have described their horror when a 17-year-old youth went on a shooting spree in the area this week.

The youth shot and killed four people, including a baby and a ten-year-old boy in the North West informal settlement on Monday.

The youngster has a previous criminal record for a similar incident.

Enraged residents of Skielik informal settlement are still reeling from the shooting which many say was an outright racist attack.

Police say the 17-year-old was convicted in 2004 for the attempted murder of a black man. At the time it emerged in court he shot the man apparently mistaking him for an animal.

The youth, the son of a local farmer in the Swartruggens area, was turned over to authorities by his father who was also taken into custody yesterday.

Eyewitnesses to the shooting have told how he casually walked through Skielik randomly shooting at residents.

Meanwhile the Human Rights Commission has dispatched a team to the area to help defuse tensions.

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Swartruggens is not an informal settlement.
Its a Boer haven, full of borewors making, colonial mindset,racist farmers with , 4x4 bakkies who still live as though apartheid hasn't fallen.

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
"After the shooting incident, she went there and made a racist speech, taking pictures of the bodies with her cellphone. The people have been incited by politicians led by the mayor. The farmers there are feeling really threatened by the whole situation which is being polarised," said DA councillor Ben Marais on Tuesday. - Sapa

You gotta love it. Black people get killed in cold blood at random...and its the farmers feeling threattened. How is it that white people always have the monopoly on morality, sympathy and vulnerability, even when they are committing crime and brutalizing society... racism is alive. black people are still being packaged as beasts. f*** the media on this one....honestly.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
"After the shooting incident, she went there and made a racist speech, taking pictures of the bodies with her cellphone. The people have been incited by politicians led by the mayor. The farmers there are feeling really threatened by the whole situation which is being polarised," said DA councillor Ben Marais on Tuesday. - Sapa

hey Latte, from which website did you get this?

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
the farmers felt threatened?
good lord man - he shot a woman & little kids who were playing.
nat - yes i know about that place its like awb stronghold isnt it?

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
  Solly Maphumulo
    January 16 2008 at 06:53AM 

Residents of rural Skielik in North West were still trying to retrace the steps of the killer who sowed mayhem in a few short minutes in the area.

A 17-year-old youth, with a previous attempted murder conviction, was arrested on Tuesday after his father led police to him.

Shortly after 2.30pm on Monday, the 17-year-old parked his blue bakkie on the tar road, at one of the entrances to Skielik. Fully decked out in camouflage gear, carrying his 303 rifle, the shooter jogged down the small path for about 300m, pa**ing an abandoned general dealer shop.

At the end of the path he found children at play. Shots rang out.
The children scattered and alerted residents that there was a white youth shooting at them. The camouflaged youth then followed a path from the general dealer between the shacks.

The first person he came upon was unsuspecting 10-year-old Tshepo Mothlaloko, who was playing outside Sivuyile Dinana's home. The small boy was gunned down.

Thirty-year-old Dinana ran outside to investigate. Moments later he was dead, metres from the entrance to his shack.

Further down a small gravel road, the 17-year-old allegedly shot randomly at people he encountered.

Among those was Anna Legwale, who was carrying three-month-old Keditlotse on her back. The child died without making a sound.

Legwale is in a critical condition in Rustenburg Hospital.

Kelebogile Seruthe was washing her three-week-old baby's nappies, watching the children at play outside her one-roomed corrugated iron shack, when the gunshots rang out.

"When I heard the first gunshot, I ran and closed the door because I wanted to protect my baby. I went back and opened the door to see if the kids were safe. That's when I was struck by a bullet," said Seruthe.

Sisters Sinah Moiphitlhi and Paulene Letholo were sitting inside their shack eating around 3pm when they heard gunshots being fired.

"I ran outside to check what was happening. When I heard gunshots, I first thought it was just firecrackers," said Letholo.

When she went to investigate, people were running in panic.

The sisters decided to flee with their two toddlers. In their flight, Letholo and Moiphitlhi were wounded in their thighs, while Sinah's 4-year-old son Naival sustained wounds to both legs.

Residents say the camouflaged youth stopped only to reload and barely uttered a word during the 20 minutes of carnage.

Residents fled across the railway line before the suspect gave up his deadly hunt and disappeared.

They were visibly relieved when Premier Edna Molewa informed them on Tuesday afternoon that the suspect had been arrested.

Through numerous witness accounts, The Star was able to piece together events which have left an indelible mark on a community struggling with issues of race.

Police spokesperson Superintendent Louis Jacobs said the suspect was arrested on Tuesday afternoon.

"The father conveyed the information about his whereabouts to the police, who then went and arrested him," said Jacobs.

The youth was arrested on one of the farms owned by his father, close to the scene of the killings.

Jacobs said the suspect's father was still in custody, after he was arrested for contravening the Firearms Control Act.

The gun allegedly used in the killing rampage belonged to the father.

General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
the morality in this country is decreasing at an alarming rate. if kids are killing then who is gona inherit the future of this place? the saddest thing is that we r almost immune 2 it. if it dont happen 2 u or anybody u know, then who cares - thats the attitude of most of sa ryt now. dat aint ryt yall, this... it aint ryt... :-[
spread love in da music

Malcom E.K.K.S

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-4
  • By any means necessary
    • View Profile
Swartruggens is not an informal settlement.
Its a Boer haven, full of borewors making, colonial mindset,racist farmers with , 4x4 bakkies who still live as though apartheid hasn't fallen.

Hehe...I peepedd that shit on etv last nite too. I think that kids actions were racially motivated hope he gets tha worst sentence imaginable, he ain't a kid, 17, he a man. Y'all's country's still fcuked up, true indeed some peeps still feel like its before 1994 all r refusing to believe dat blacks is 'running" shit.