Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

"STOP THINKING LIKE A k******"

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile
The words of Irvin Khoza, the chairman of the S.A 2010 World Cup Committee after being questioned about the alleged internal tension that could tear the committee apart.

February 19, 2008, 17:00

The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has called on the FIFA 2010 World Cup Local Organizing Committee (LOC) Chairperson, Irvin Khoza to apologise to the public following a derogatory comment he made about a journalist. The commission said such language, after 14 years of democracy, had no place in South Africa.

Khoza has taken a swipe at what he calls detractors in the media, who he has accused of conveying negative reports about South Africa's 2010 aspirations. Khoza used a derogatory word to describe a journalist whom he believed had not been thinking properly.

"Mr Khoza's remarks are an insult to all South Africans and they undermine our efforts of building a non-racial society," says the HRC chairperson, Jody Kollapen. He says the commission is considering taking to matter to the Equality Court.

Meanwhile Khoza said he had already apologised before making the comment and that he had clarified it with other media earlier in the day.
SABC  NEWS 18 FEBRUARY 2008

Eish yah neah...  :-[  >:(  :-[  >:(

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
would it have made a difference if Khoza was an MC and he said something like " Stop thinking like a nigga" just asking........

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
would it have made a difference if Khoza was an MC and he said something like " Stop thinking like a nigga" just asking........

Well unfortunately the word nigger's been thrown around so often that it's lost it's derogatory meaning. Even the American's use it nje so yes it would've made a dif. it would not be as insulting. If someone be they black or white called me a k****** I'd be all up in there and to then stand up and justify his stupid comment makes that ish even worse. I don't think we (S.A) have reached the point where they can joke about it , yet.

blaqsouljah

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
south africans are too uptight. people don't see the irony of the whole statement. the kettle calling the pot black.
My parents said i could be whatever i wanted, so i chose to become an a**hole

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
I can see this becoming a catch phrase     
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

I hope not...

Mega

• AG Regular
    • REP: +2/-9
    • View Profile
A person of Khoza's stature, in a media conference broadcast on national TV, should be proffessional enuff to know not to use such a word, whatever the context he was using it in. That was so unprofessional and embarra**ing. Him saying the word is used very often in the townships is grasping at straws and does not make it cool to call another person by it, especially somebody u don't even know on a personal level, irrespective of you and the other person being black.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile

Get started with the T-shirts nyambz,

I'm telling you doggy we could get rich

That not good enough for ya?

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor

Good question. I was listening to Thomas on Metro this morning and they were all giving Irv lip (nh) saying he's disgusting and shit. But doesnt Thomas refer to people as 'My nigga' on the radio all the time?!... Bit of a double standard there I say.... Come to think of it... Irv kinda looks like Unca Ruckus too... the wild eye doin its own think.. the missing tooth.... lol... coonery at its best..
lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Come to think of it... Irv kinda looks like Unca Ruckus too... the wild eye doin its own think.. the missing tooth.... lol... coonery at its best..

LOL...

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
come to think of it, it could have been some unkle ruckus shit. ...althoug I understand his context...his explanation about people in the hood using it all the time was a lame one...especially for Irvin...he could have come thru with some confuse and discombobulate 'em shit like a true ANC comrade. weak.

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile
Why Irvin K has a point
Fikile-Ntsikelelo Moya: THE F-WORD   
21 February 2008 11:59

Let us not beat about the bush here. The term k****** is a word imposed on black people by racist whites. When Irvin Khoza accuses other blacks of “behaving like k******s”, he is thus accusing them of acting in keeping with standards set by the white racists.

It is not the intention of this piece to argue whether Khoza was correct in accusing an unnamed journalist of “behaving like a k******” for questioning if there was infighting within the 2010 Local Organising Committee.

There are times when black people’s behaviour is so egregiously in line with the worst stereo­type that even Frantz Fanon would excuse racists for feeling that their racism is justified.

Though it will never be acceptable for whites to call blacks k******s, it remains black people’s responsibility not to give racists the opportunity to feel vindicated when they do.

There is a difference when blacks say that someone is “behaving like a k******” and calling a person a “k******”. The first instance implies that the person so described is behaving in a manner that the racists expect of them. The latter says that you a**ociate yourself with the racist moniker. The two cannot be guilty of the same offence.

There are many examples of blacks behaving like k******s and being told as much. The Bantustan leaders and Urban Bantu Councillors (or Useless Boys’ Clubs) of the apartheid years behaved like k******s because they happily went with the oppression of those who looked like them in return for being in the good books of their baas.

It is k******-like behaviour when blacks smile and grin foolishly when “stout baas so-and-so” physically and sexually abuses them.

There are those black folk who still harbour the dream of sex across the colour bar just so that they can feel they have “achieved” something worthwhile in their lives. This belief that one’s sense of worth should be measured against their “access” to whites is behaving like a k******.

Sometimes being a k****** is less innocuous, an example of which is when “black” playwrights write shows such as Umoja, the driving ethos of which is to reinforce the caricature of blacks who sing when they are happy and even when they are sad.

So when one is accused of “behaving like a k******” it would be best if one looked honestly at whether one is perpetuating the myth of black incompetence and impotence.

It is meant to say that such behaviour is nothing less than perpetuating the belief that blacks are sub-human.

Uttered by blacks on other blacks whose behaviour seems indifferent to how we are all impacted, it cannot have the same colonial connotations.

It is heartening that some white compatriots seem to have been hurt on our behalf.

If only they knew that up to today isiXhosa-speaking people accuse one another of being iqaba (an uncultured person) when a person’s behaviour is at variance with what is acceptable Western standards.

Like k******, being an iqaba (as opposed to being igqoboka — a Christian convert) implies failure to embrace Christianity and with it, “civilisation”, reminiscent of the Arabic roots of kafara which means non-believer.

Maybe Khoza should have used the everyday phrase “onyela batho otshaba makgoa” (“you shit on blacks, but are afraid of whites”). Stripped of its colourful language, it accuses one of behaving like a k******.

Like the African-Americans who last year symbolically buried the N-word, I hope that we will one day soon bury the K-word. But first we have to stop behaving like k******s and tell our own people when they delay us killing the monster.

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Apology or not, that was not the right forum to use the K - word, I don't think there is a right forum, I have a lot of respect for the Iron Duke, I think he should apologies again, for using the word and not accuse people of being over sensitive.

People in his position should exercise restraint, and behave professionally, if he can't stand the heat he must get out of the kitchen.

i have long mentioned that khoza lacks tact for a man of his public standing. a lot of the issues he mentions are not relevant to his story but ke......he is happy to bulldoze upfront and lead a merry dance on behalf of all organisations he represents and then questions why he is called mr soccer. sometimes organisations just shup up because a story is not worth responding to.

i wish he was this quick on the trigger whener ever there are issues at pirates and his players and club needs him.