Tell Me

GudEar · 7 · 1746

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
I don't understand this...or maybe there's something wrong with me...I mean I've been Common's fan for mad yrs...I know & studied his albums in and out.

Most ppl always comment that Electric Circus wasn't a great album...I totaly disagree..to me Electric Circus is better than Finding Forever. It was produced by mostly creative producers in the industry....Jay Dee, ?uestlove, James Poyser, Pino Palladino and The Neptunes. Really I don't understand it....Me Personally i give Electric Circus 7/10.....!!!

Maybe its was released in the wrong time like its wasn't really conducive to what's going on in modern music right then & now....!!!
Its true it was different from the rest of his album, but its wasn't bad as most ppl claim it to be...
I think if your ears are for music not for HipHop only, then you would realy appreciate that album...

What other cats saying......??? Favourite in my own personal order

1. Resurrection
2. Like Water for Chocolate
3. One day it'll all make sense
4. Be
5. Electric Circus
6. Can I borrow a dollar
7. Finding Forever

I mean this thing of him and Kanye....Nah...I'm definitely not down totaly with it....I think he can do good & better music with Pete Rock than Kanye
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:30:24 AM by Gifted Much »
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
Wadup my niccz!

Before I comment or elaborate here are my fav in sequence:

1. Resurrection
2. Like Water for Chocolate
3. BE
4. Electric Circus
5. One day it'll all make sense
6. Can I borrow a dollar
7. Finding Forever

-reason for my listing is that #1 was when I still loved beats by No ID and common just messed them up big time. I don't really have to go in detail.
-#2....ahhh...this is anada cla**ical work from the title to the music...I have no full detail, but I a**ume thats when he got Dilla on his projects....
-#3....being a producer who always stayed humble on sampling soul samples, I hd great respect for the production brought to us by YE and Dilla...this was and is a masterpiece.
-#4....

have a look at the group and tell me I don't know what Im taking about when I say that these guys create future music....I also was not ready for most but I appreciated the album anyway. It basically is the best ever that came through as experimental hip hop.

The rest just are ordinary.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:24:50 PM by Trompie »

thought...

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
know this done tilts the topic a shred, but jus gotta say can't wait for Erykah's new album, 'New Amerykah'. artist thats art herself, so wonder what shes about this time around. @ Trompie, uz absolutely right bout their vision in regards to music.

as for common, think he's one of the few artists that constantly pushes to reinvent/redefine himself within his own self-constructed boundries( or even none in the case of electric circus). the tricky part i guess is us having to adapt with it as he goes along, which in retrospect is becoming a tad bit too difficult. 'can i borrow a dollar' from 92, to 'finding forever' are extreme binary dimensions of common if you will. you can't actually relate any of his albums from/to the next or the last. still love common, but his affiliation with kanye though is not the best. if it weren't for the Dilla track(think from The Shining) on the new joint, wouldn't be all that sure no more.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:29:03 PM by thought... »
'Imagine if the weekend was a day for
Weak minded men - anyway
I re-take my train of thought'  Saafir

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
know this done tilts the topic a shred, but jus gotta say can't wait for Erykah's new album, 'New Amerykah'. artist thats art herself, so wonder what shes about this time around. @ Trompie, uz absolutely right bout their vision in regards to music.

as for common, think he's one of the few artists that constantly pushes to reinvent/redefine himself within his own self-constructed boundries( or even none in the case of electric circus). the tricky part i guess is us having to adapt with it as he goes along, which in retrospect is becoming a tad bit too difficult. 'can i borrow a dollar' from 92, to 'finding forever' are extreme binary dimensions of common if you will. you can't actually relate any of his albums from/to the next or the last. still love common, but his affiliation with kanye though is not the best. if it weren't for the Dilla track(think from The Shining) on the new joint, wouldn't be all that sure no more.

I think it's a matter of readjusting one self that is the problem. People tend to stick to what they far too long that when it starts to bore them they start complaining instead coming up with ideas on how to shift focus.

I believe Common can make a better album than Finding forever...which in my opinion YE might have wanted it to be reminiscent of Like water for chocolate mixed with his mentors Ressurection...or maybe he wanted to prove to No ID that he can walk in his footsteps and produce most of the songs of the artist that he did....BIGGGGGG maybe....

thought...

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
i hears u. thing is our frame of reference is mounted on our last listening experience from any artist. its easy to get all comfortable with something we fall for, to the point where dare the respective artist 'rephrases' who they are in the next album, we shy away and make it out to be asif we walked in on our-significant otha having otha shifty relations with anotha. i've found myself guilty of that many a times, but soon came to realize that maybe the respective artist is at a different space than you is (like the whole futuristic music theory, just like how artists such as Sun-Ra when they came out in the jazz scene) and respect that.
(oh, this definitely does not apply to said space being 'whackness' or diluted). sometimes it even takes an uncertain amount of time for the listener to get there, might not even ever happen.
'Imagine if the weekend was a day for
Weak minded men - anyway
I re-take my train of thought'  Saafir

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
Common was the 1st eMcee to work with Detroit cats  (Jay Dee - Slum Village and the rest)...cause Jay Dee was also suppose to produce tracks on his album One day it'll all make sense, but No.ID had already produce most of the tracks in the album...so Com' & Jay agreed dat Jay will produce the whole of his next album....Like Water For Chocolate.  So Com' & Jay Dee been f***ing with eachother for mad yrs....!!! And that's when the Soulquarians was born...

Even BE if those two track that Jay Dee did right there...if they weren't there...I don't think that album would have made a mark on me......cause when I think of BE...Love Is...& It's Your World Pt.2 come into mind.....!!

I heard that most of the members of the Soulquarians love Premo's work..that why he was on some of albums they created...throwning 1 phat joint.

6th Sense - Like Water For Chocolate
Devils Pie - Voodoo

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:03:26 PM by Gifted Much »
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

Time

• Guppie
    • View Profile
howzit peeps

i have been around gateway for months, but i gotta put my 2 cents worth on this one. electric circus was mos def a dope album. mad complex but mos def a tight album.