Africasgateway.com

da L.E.S...

emceeKasualT · 450 · 209527

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
all im sayin MR C is that the FACT THAT U RAP! that means u influenced by America! dont front about it!
look at the graffitti behind u in ur pic! its American influenced! Ur cornrows that u hiding under the hoodie! the fact that u use the word "CATS" so often. lol.

Jus come out of the closet dammit! ;D
@cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
There is nothing wrong with being influenced by the world around you.

I was at a Van Gogh exhibition recently and was interested to read about his influences (ranging from Seurat to traditional Japanese artist Hiroshige). Van Gogh took these influences and created something new that had his own unique mark on it.

Not everyone can be a genius like Van Gogh, but everyone can strive to create something new and interesting based on their influences.

Influence and imitation are two different things that shouldn't be confused with one another. Whilst it can be claimed that everyone who makes Hip Hop anywhere in the world is influenced to some extent by America, not everyone is imitating Americans.

I feel truly sad when I see Africans imitating Americans because it implies that we have nothing original to give to the world. African kings invented swagger! Hip Hop beats are based on African rhythms! Storytelling through spoken word is African!!

Why do we just aspire to being like Americans? Why can't we aspire to outshine them with our own shit?

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
African kings invented swagger! Hip Hop beats are based on African rhythms! Storytelling through spoken word is African!!

damn straight that there... all u gotta do is go to a nigerian village. see how the king / chief walks to his throne (swagger) and listen to his praise singer utter words accompanied by them rythmic drums...  real talk there D
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

African kings invented swagger! Hip Hop beats are based on African rhythms! Storytelling through spoken word is African!!

EXACTLY! its okay to be like Americans, cos they bein like us!
We invented that shit!

That ICE! That BAPE shit! The Swag!
Thats US! me,you, and everyone else whose African!
We ARE AMERICAN HIPHOP! AMERICAN HIPHOP IS AFRICAN!
@cash_sog

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
all im sayin MR C is that the FACT THAT U RAP! that means u influenced by America! dont front about it!
look at the graffitti behind u in ur pic! its American influenced! Ur cornrows that u hiding under the hoodie! the fact that u use the word "CATS" so often. lol.

haai bo, dude, didn't i say i agree with you already ? Yes,im influenced big time by Uncle Sam.U happy ? Most of us are , whether we like it or not.Even the pantsula hood cats are heavily influenced by the likes of Snoop and Pac and them.Thing is in the last few years, there's slowly been a resurgence of african culture among the youth. From Fashion - people rocking head wraps,brown colours,etc,etc, to the music that's been coming out, Siphokhazi,Thandiswa,etc.So yeah, some people have found themselves and have slowly moved away from that whole commercial american image, but that doesn't mean they were never influenced by the states.Just don't knock us done cos we haven't moved on with ya'll.In due time my people. Africa will once again be truly ours. LOL !!!!
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
I agree with Cash.Most cats wish they could say "Brooklyn" or "Queensbridge" or "Compton" on a track. LOL !!! It's a fact.

Ha!ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!

erikah

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I WISH I WAS DA LES....HAV A POST UNDER MY NAME...HAV FELLAZ GAANING AAN...  ::)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I WISH I WAS DA LES....HAV A POST UNDER MY NAME...HAV FELLAZ GAANING AAN...  ::)

You wish you looked like a mini version of JAy-z, in fake Bapes and dancing on your tippy toes like a ballerina?

erikah

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

haai bo, dude, didn't i say i agree with you already ? Yes,im influenced big time by Uncle Sam.U happy ? Most of us are , whether we like it or not.Even the pantsula hood cats are heavily influenced by the likes of Snoop and Pac and them.Thing is in the last few years, there's slowly been a resurgence of african culture among the youth. From Fashion - people rocking head wraps,brown colours,etc,etc, to the music that's been coming out, Siphokhazi,Thandiswa,etc.So yeah, some people have found themselves and have slowly moved away from that whole commercial american image, but that doesn't mean they were never influenced by the states.Just don't knock us done cos we haven't moved on with ya'll.In due time my people. Africa will once again be truly ours. LOL !!!!

even that AFRICAN resurgence is AMERICAN influeced! Its a trend that started in America " ie, the LETS GO BACK TO OUR AFRICAN ROOTS TREND" f*** a Weave, im rockin dreadlocks! its an american trend!

And if u sayin, lets stop tryin to be American and be more African. dont u see that that decision is influenced by you "not wanting to be American". so that idea is also influenced by you comparing urself to America! lol.

Im jus f***in withca ;D
@cash_sog

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
Ok.. A bit Gangstalicious on the analogy...
but Im starting to see you logic.. skewered and jaded as it may be...

Let me tell you a story about a young man I met once. I have a problem with elephant type memory.. so I really remember shit when I should forget. I went out to Roka Bar once and met this dude who told me that he knows me from Cape Town.. used to come to all the shows... etc etc.. He then proceeded to tell me that he rhymes too... I didnt prompt him to tell me.. he was a bit drunk so I kinda understood.. Anyway... his story is that he had always only rhymed in English.. tried to be with the latest trends as possible.. and he could never quite break the circuit in Cape Town.. because for some or reason people actually care if you rhyme well over there.. ??? Anyway... this guy then told me that ever since he changed to rhyming in his mother tongue (and Im not suggesting anyone should do this).. people started taking his seriously... I too thought... 'This ninja is drunk and delusional'... before I was out I asked him... what the f*** is your name anyway... he said T.O.P..

Next thing I know I seeing him featured on Hype mixtapes... I even remember a comment on AG about how he is the best Xhosa rhymer ever. After listening to him I can agree..
Yes.. hes influenced by rap.. because he rhymes.. but people in the hood feel T.O.P as they do Prokid or anyone else who reps where they're from. Les was born in Houston it says.. so yeah.. thats excusable...People in the hood dont feel the us/ US/ AG type cats.. because we're not speaking their language. Pitch Black Afro sold 25 000. That wasnt in the suburbs..

Back in the day of the Shell Road to Fame... back in the mid 80's... yeah I remember that far back.. I was probably 5 or something.. there used to be cats who used to go to these things and breakdance and rap.. influenced more by kung-fu flicks and such (because there were sanctions back then and we didnt get get muchany influence from the US. There was no Nike, Adidas, Bape, etc..etc.. If you had it in you.. you had it in you.. only people with BOP TV from Bophuthatswana would get a glimpse at US TV. Even Lesotho was up on us in that regard. I can tell you now that there were people like POC, Black Noise etc... who did it while our country was sanctioned... so yeah. Know your history... I still dont beleive mimicking American culture will bring you success. I've given ample examples..  

lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog

kgz the don

• big thangz want big niggaz
  • Foot Soldier
  • no niggaz know nothing
    • View Profile
    • www.freewebs.com/mrfede
hip hop aint a thang from africa lets admit tha shit. hip hop aint never african. the shit originated from america.. if it really was a african thang we wud be the pacs and biggies of the world..if it really is african. then how the f*** could these nigga outrun us on our own game? the fact that the "boom boom chaka boom" rythym was developed by africans that not mean that we came up wit hip hop. only the rythym is african, that whole other shit its from the staes man
new thangz.......new money

erikah

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
hip hop aint a thang from africa lets admit tha shit. hip hop aint never african. the shit originated from america.. if it really was a african thang we wud be the pacs and biggies of the world..if it really is african. then how the f*** could these nigga outrun us on our own game? the fact that the "boom boom chaka boom" rythym was developed by africans that not mean that we came up wit hip hop. only the rythym is african, that whole other shit its from the staes man
??? >:( :-\...AND MIMMS?????

dropbomb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +1/-3
  • God's Miracle
    • View Profile
    • Nuclear

o lahlegile san

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Ok.. A bit Gangstalicious on the analogy...
but Im starting to see you logic.. skewered and jaded as it may be...

Let me tell you a story about a young man I met once. I have a problem with elephant type memory.. so I really remember shit when I should forget. I went out to Roka Bar once and met this dude who told me that he knows me from Cape Town.. used to come to all the shows... etc etc.. He then proceeded to tell me that he rhymes too... I didnt prompt him to tell me.. he was a bit drunk so I kinda understood.. Anyway... his story is that he had always only rhymed in English.. tried to be with the latest trends as possible.. and he could never quite break the circuit in Cape Town.. because for some or reason people actually care if you rhyme well over there.. ??? Anyway... this guy then told me that ever since he changed to rhyming in his mother tongue (and Im not suggesting anyone should do this).. people started taking his seriously... I too thought... 'This ninja is drunk and delusional'... before I was out I asked him... what the f*** is your name anyway... he said T.O.P..

Next thing I know I seeing him featured on Hype mixtapes... I even remember a comment on AG about how he is the best Xhosa rhymer ever. After listening to him I can agree..
Yes.. hes influenced by rap.. because he rhymes.. but people in the hood feel T.O.P as they do Prokid or anyone else who reps where they're from. Les was born in Houston it says.. so yeah.. thats excusable...People in the hood dont feel the us/ US/ AG type cats.. because we're not speaking their language. Pitch Black Afro sold 25 000. That wasnt in the suburbs..

Back in the day of the Shell Road to Fame... back in the mid 80's... yeah I remember that far back.. I was probably 5 or something.. there used to be cats who used to go to these things and breakdance and rap.. influenced more by kung-fu flicks and such (because there were sanctions back then and we didnt get get muchany influence from the US. There was no Nike, Adidas, Bape, etc..etc.. If you had it in you.. you had it in you.. only people with BOP TV from Bophuthatswana would get a glimpse at US TV. Even Lesotho was up on us in that regard. I can tell you now that there were people like POC, Black Noise etc... who did it while our country was sanctioned... so yeah. Know your history... I still dont beleive mimicking American culture will bring you success. I've given ample examples..  

it dont matter where ur born! u are INTRODUCED TO HIPHOP BY AMERICA regardless!
the guys in the hood who copped Pitch Black,also copped Tupac! whats ur point!
I hear 50 cent everytime i go to the hood! Any tavern! any gusheshe!any house party! real talk!

Its the "Conscious - Im smarter than you ninja's that get no respect eKasi" dont generalise! niggas who rap in English BEEN in the HOOD! and they good in the hood! Matter Fact KOLI lives in the HOOD! and he a ghetto superstar!

maybe the guy jus SUCKED RAPPIN IN ENGLISH! and he's tighter in Xhosa. just a possibility.

U see,the language thing(if like me you understand English,Xhosa,Zulu and Afrikaans), the language thing dont make a difference at all!

I can point out a niggas whole style regardless of what language he spittin in!
U can rap in Xhosa, n i'll still be like "This nigga came from Talib Kweli's nutsack"
But for a nigga who jus think"wow,he rappin in Xhosa! wow.he original! either u havent been around hiphop long enough! or u been around hiphop too long without changing with the times!

Name any rapper,whatever language he spits, n i can tell u whose American nut he came out of.
eg. u mentioned Pitch Black Afro - obvious one - he came from The old "Woo Hah BUSTA RHYMES" NUTSACK!!!!
@cash_sog