Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Is that a name of a bird?

eLeMent.

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
that's a question a boy from EL asked me when i told him i was shooting a doccie on INTONJANE...
That Jomo asked me what INTONJANE is, is fine- but to a**ume that it could mean a name of a bird is questionable...I don't think i would drive down to the EC from CT to shoot a doccie about a bird. Don't get me wrong birds are lovely creatures.

I'm glad that young South Africans (esp blck ones) are asking questions...i guess this is how our history will eventually be re-written- from asking damning questions...but they must just ask the right ones...

Tuesday night i watched one of the ZABALAZA doccies on SABC 1, it made for interesting viewing...very rich and relevant content- that dope( well of course it was mainly talking heads... ;))- the subject was Language...a thorny subject these days...the makers of these doccies must have asked the right questions for they got very good responses...bad part about it is how i checked that our culture as indigenous people of SA is getting so emaciated to the point that in a decade it might just be dead- (NOT IF YOU CAN HELP IT THO)
Word is according to a linguist there : 'when you forget your language, you forget your culture...and when you forget your culture... you perish...but the question i want to ask then: what do we do with those who can't speak a stitch of their mother tounges????
when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

churchofthe latterdayLatte

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-4
    • View Profile
honest mistake. maybe he mistook it for Inkonjane...which IS a name of a bird...in Zulu that is, not sure about Xhosa

eLeMent.

• Guppie
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
No the brother had no idea...i don't even think he knows wat inkonjane is...
yes we also refer to that bird as inkonjane as well...
when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

mphossiblepunkstah

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-10
  • im a BEAUTIFUL MESS.....
    • View Profile
dont mean to sound all stero or anything but i think its embarrasing when one cant speak their matha tongue and pretends its all gud, even worse when people start pretending like they dont understand their matha tongue thinking that its 'pretty' ...........really now :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
mind is what im made of
where my spoken word is formed
lie not for this here is what mind is

the re-birth of me....the potrait of life

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-2
    • View Profile
okay...i don't mean to come and deviate from original thread...i know nigga personally...and hey...what if he doesn't know what intonjane is....its not everyday we get to talk or hear about such...in all respects Miss Element i know were you're coming from and actually a doccie about a bird ain't half bad...on some eco friendly tip...50/50 maybe...anyway you already know were i stand with Intonjane... plently good looks

am hell behold!

ToXic Candy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-15
  • I LOVE YOU,MCWAAAAH!
    • View Profile
I made a speech at high school about "Language as a VehIcle for Culture",I'm glad it is still an on going debate because back then my cla**mates gave me the look of "what are you going on about?? ??? ???"

I strongly believe that without language  we wouldn't know where we come from.Weeks ago I asked a friend which country in Africa is more rooted than the rest,she said South Africa because we still have our mother tounges as part of our national languages whereas in other parts of Africa they only know slave languages (french,portugues ect)

Secondly there are words from our culture which when you hear will not have the same impact in English(slave language) as they are intended to in Xhosa,Zulu etc.Word like ingcibi,ebomeni etc.

Lastly a place is made by the people who live there,their way of life and the way they communicate so for us to make visitors from abroad feel the spirit of Africa we have to be who we are because ones we speak in English that person would be confused where he is(England or MZANTSI)
Dn't have a comfort zone ,always have room for improvement.

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
English slave language? eloborate...i don't understand
 am hell behold!

ToXic Candy

• AG Extremist
  • I LOVE YOU,MCWAAAAH!
    • View Profile
English slave language? eloborate...i don't understand

Will conolial language make it better swidy?

VirginPussy

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
ur response kinda tastes like u sprinkled it with a pinch of sarcasm...wow...welcome to ag...u've officially made the cut...yada yada...all trying to act smart and tuff empty imbicile.

Your answer still doesn't make sense...its just making it worse...u'r sounding like that stupid Faraday dude on that Anc Youth league thread...
 am hell behold!

Zo

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
ur response kinda tastes like u sprinkled it with a pinch of sarcasm...wow...welcome to ag...u've officially made the cut...yada yada...all trying to act smart and tuff empty imbicile.

Your answer still doesn't make sense...its just making it worse...u'r sounding like that stupid Faraday dude on that Anc Youth league thread...

candy your come back?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:52:01 PM by Eva High »

mphossiblepunkstah

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
@ candy doll english is and has always been the 'universal language' and that we cant change but tis good for one to speak THEIR language and not make it out as though it is second best or stayt up backward to use it
mind is what im made of

ToXic Candy

• AG Extremist
  • I LOVE YOU,MCWAAAAH!
    • View Profile
Check ur pm VirginPussy

mphossiblepunkstah

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
y do yall love derailing so much? back to the topic plz tired of hater posts, its really boring >:(
mind is what im made of

Zo

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
y do yall love derailing so much? back to the topic plz tired of hater posts, its really boring >:(

jammer  ::)

mphossiblepunkstah

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

jammer  ::)

???
mind is what im made of