mizi. · 140 · 44291

Buff Pound

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
  • www.roachinc.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • Roachinc
Well said Mr Pound.

You're dead right. I guess it's a difficult position we're all in. But its all economics though dont you think? Venue and sound costs are rigid. I think we as promoters should treat artists the same as well. Get a cost from them, add that to the venue cost and factor in the amount to be collected at the door. That will tell you if the gig is viable or not.

yeah i hear u KING, its all about the economics, and i suppose someone has to bear the risk somewhere, im just saying, as from now that person wont be me, not unless i have a sponsor, then we can talk. i know the initiative is meant to grow artists' financial muscle too, and im also for that, but i know for a fact, well our experience has taught us so, pricing our events at more than r50 is suicidal at the moment, not unless you have some heavy lineup and even that will cost you, so for lil ciphers and lil sessions, perhaps there is a breakeven point, if we loose state theatre and go for a more humble setup, but eish, id rather let someone else pickup where WE left off, and we go after the coporates, who can invest in this ish, on a real. HH events have ran my pockets DRY and i aint having that no more. cos it means for the market we are going for, the events will never be viable, never, well at least they never will be if we continued doing them the way we've been doing. State Theatre was meant to be a developmental platform and i suppose without a major financial backup it was bound to go belly up.
N'veigh's Album ,titled 7.30, dropping on 7.30

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
I really admired what was going on at State Theatre man!
and i always thought to myself,"Who is the silent partner funding this? and how is he satisfied with his returns if any?"

Its sad that the events just kept bodyin ya pockets man! But its great that u gave niggas a chance! I mean, if a nigga asked a nigga like u " How much u payin?" i wudve slapped the maf***a!

f*** the economy ;D

@Mizi! I love the fact that ur saying promoters must INCLUDE ARTIST FEES in their budget! Its true.
A lot of niggas go to sponsors and say, i jus need to hire venue,equipment and do marketing! they NEVER mention "ARTIST FEES" So promoters are also to blame for UNDERMINIG the ARTIST!

The negotiation is between PROMOTERS and CORPORATES!
So whatever the artist says is irrelevant!
The change needs to be that PROMOTERS MUST BE EMPLOYED BY THE ARTISTS! in that way the promoter has the artists interests first! ie. he only eats when artists eat!
Whats happening now is that HOUSE DJ's have sumone always by their side(a promoter) and that promoter gets them shows,organises them shows,a**osiates the artist with certain brands,etc. this dudes paycheck comes when the DJ gets booked!

Hiphop cats aint got that! hiphop cats wait for a call! instead of have someone constantly makin calls!
And of course when a promoter(outside of your camp) calls you! he really dont care if u eatin or not! matter fact its his goal to try his best NOT TO PAY YOU! thats his target! so that the DJ he WORKS for,GETS DAT CHEQUE! i he gets his cut!

WE NEED HIPHOP PROMOTERS! BOOKING AGENTS! if u got a nigga in ur crew who a bit weak on the mic! give him a cell phone and a telephone directory n tell him to spend time in the booth!(phone booth that is)! so while u in the booth(studio that is!). he workin on gettin U PAYED! instead of wastin studio time, giv the nigga AIR TIME!

just a suggestion!
@cash_sog

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
I have challenged Beatoven to a marthon download on www.loadtheshow.com . The rules are simple the first person to get to the number 1 spot on both the top 20 and top 50 chart will win. But that person must remain in the number 1 spot for atleast two days straight to be declared the winner.Below are the two links: please download wisely and support local hip-hip,Spread the word!

there is a limit of 250 downloads a day only! so heads not sleep on this

Explicit link:
www.loadtheshow.com/show/explicit

Beatoven link:
www.loadtheshow.com/show/The_Beat_Oven

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
I have challenged Beatoven to a marthon download on www.loadtheshow.com . The rules are simple the first person to get to the number 1 spot on both the top 20 and top 50 chart will win. But that person must remain in the number 1 spot for atleast two days straight to be declared the winner.Below are the two links: please download wisely and support local hip-hip,Spread the word!

there is a limit of 250 downloads a day only! so heads not sleep on this

Explicit link:
www.loadtheshow.com/show/explicit

Beatoven link:
www.loadtheshow.com/show/The_Beat_Oven

tell me more about this LOAD THE SHOW?
what exactly is it?
And can i join the party(competition)
@cash_sog

Makhi The Heart Beat

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +1/-10
    • View Profile
yeah this issue is dope.

i read about tumi and something he did.... ;D ;D ;D :D ;D

he's a GOD, punish them bitches
Its beyond/

The Elders are above all/

Above all!!/

- Bongani krushen Cripper Demka...

R.I.P my brother I miss you so much.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
yeah this issue is dope.

i read about tumi and something he did.... ;D ;D ;D :D ;D

he's a GOD, punish them bitches

damn sure learned my lesson!
ive never been so scared in my life. the ground was shaking and everything!

to re live the godly incident you may go to www.demcrackboys.com
@cash_sog

Makhi The Heart Beat

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +1/-10
    • View Profile

[/quote]

ive never been so scared in my life.

[/quote]

why is this post making me think of Tevin Campbell, sisqo and the likes
Its beyond/

The Elders are above all/

Above all!!/

- Bongani krushen Cripper Demka...

R.I.P my brother I miss you so much.

Draztik

• Producer - CEO
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • Unreleased Records
You know as a promoter, certain factors need to be taken into. that is if you are promoting, that is business and if you doing gigs that dont pay back any money, ( -R300 - No Disrespect)...but i'm not sure that makes business sense. One of the biggest issues i raised some time last year is what everyones complains about, and that is Big Concerts not respecting local artists and paying them their dues, asking for free sh... i mean..... This is where Mizi makes a lot of sense. The art needs to be accounted for, its enterntainment, its also a job and it should really pay your bills and the artists well being as well as what their worth.

For example, how many artists cant even afford a descent image... clothes etc...they end up on stage looking like part of the audience. Performance is crucial and key too, but we need to LOOK like stars.  This industry needs standards like EVERYWHERE else, no excuses.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:33:56 PM by Draztik »

msdeane

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-13
  • Complex Simplicity
    • View Profile

ive never been so scared in my life.

[/quote]

cash is that you again, tryin to cash in a lil cheap publicity???

why is this post making me think of Tevin Campbell, sisqo and the likes
[/quote]
Msdeane the Queeeeeen!

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Well said Draztik. And what Big Concerts and Attie Van Wyk did was foul, no question.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hypemagazine.co.za

Although Buff Pound's method may not have made sense to a capitalist, I think he ran those gigs for a different reason. It wasnt from a capitalist point of view but from compa**ion and hope. (sniff sniff... Im sorry) What has done for PTA hip hop was huge. The biggest and single most important move ever made for hip hop in the city. I mean this dude financed the whole city and he still has a home and a family to take care of. Yeah Cash, I'd also slap a cat who tied to take more from that situation. I must say I am quite disappointed in the city for taking advantage of this and standing in line with their mouths open and their hands extended. If nobody tells cats to wake up they never will. WAKE UP!

But yo Mr Pound, lets work on that sponsor then...

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
YEP ITS UNFORTUNATE, BUT THAT is just the way it goes sometimes.

Sqew and I had the same problem with Ground Control in Bloem.

Every day we'd have someone come up to us asking "When is the next GC gig? Please hook up another GC gig."

We hosted these gigs for almost five years, at least 4 times a year. Everytime we had one though, we couldn't afford to pay artists, because we were financing it from our own pockets. Luckily all the artists were also our friends and understood what we were trying to do.

We had to take care of venues, sound, marketing (did this ourselves though) and everything else, just because everyone was always nagging at us.

Come the day of the event though and shit turns foul. You have about 500 people show up, but only half of them are willing to pay the R20 cover charge at the door. The other half stay outside and tell you shit like,"Come on man, you know me, I'm at all of the gigs."

Yes you are, but you never pay to get into them you f***.

Out of all the events we hosted, we only ever made a profit twice, which we shared with some of the artists, or ploughed into the following ones. VEry often we ended up losing money, but I think it was all worth it though, because now the scene is established and there are lots of other cats doing what we used to do.

PACOFS is much more willing to rent out a theatre to a hip hop crew now, since we broke ground. So in the end, it is important for artists to get paid, but not until the scene is of such a nature that everyone can eat. First work on establishing yourself and making a good name, then you can demand that paycheck.

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
I agree,

I just feel its a bit sad that the sound guy gets to eat. He's happy cos his rates are rigid and you need his equpment. The venue is happy. High and dry. You need his space for that time. The good promoter suffers along with the artist at times. This means the promoter needs to be rigid too. No free entry. I know its hard. But no free entry. I understand the situation but picture this. If the artist is also rigid... reasonable but rigid (cos the sound guy is also reasonable but rigid. The promoter's R 20 ask is also reasonable but rigid. The venue is also reasonable but rigit), we create a culture of payment. We are currently stuck in a culture of non payment.

I guess the word here is rigidity, but within reason. Every othr economy works on that basis. Picture trying to get a Chappies chewing gum for 80c when the sign sais R 1. You will be told no! I want that extra 20c dog! R 1 for Chappise is reasonable. But that price is also rigid. That is why that industry has been selling the same product for like 30 or 40 years... or more. Reasonable but rigid.

mizi.

• AG Hustler
    • View Profile
My definition of an economy is the circulation of funds and services within a controlled area. This might not be the Harvard definition but it makes sense. If money is little, lets still find ways to circulate it. We should be disciplined in doing so. That way, once things do start looking up and multiplying, the money being circulated starts multiplying. We can afford the beter sound man and slicker venue. We can afford to pay artists what they need.

I feel that this culture should be adapted to the small sessions, just for us to introduce good business practice for the future. And its good to see honest promoters who are open with their figures. If we show artists what we are making and why we cannot afford them, we give the power back to the artist.  Maybe even split a percentage from the door so that every artist involved becomes a share holder in that single gig. If they pull and entertain the crowd, they get whats due. I mean that method also has its flaws but it could work. Either way, no matter how small, money is circulating within a system.

I always think that if you can use R 10 wisely for long enough, you will be able to use a billion rands wisely one day.