Illa J

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
So.. Does anyone else think this guy is terrible?

www.spinemagazine.com/downloads.php?file=august/illaj/wehere.mp3

I know he's Dilla's brother.. But eish.... I think he sounds like a bad clone of Dilla. I think he should have forged his own sounds as opposed to pushing the Dilla angle.

Do you think Dilla actually left him the beats he's using? Do you think the beats would be of better use, if they were sold to other people as opposed to Illa using them?

THoughts?
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

biz-ark-human

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Corporate Nemesis on bandcamp
Well, I got his promo stuff a while ago, it never got high rotation, and I guess that in itself says a lot about my attitude to his music. I figure he still has a long way to go, and that he should find his own sound, instead of going the easy route and jacking Dilla's style.

That being said, he does have some nice lines, and the first track on that promo was raw as f***. The rest of those beats were pretty raw also - the aesthetical element of the project appealed to me.

So ja, don't really feel him, but I don't rule the dude out completely. I say give him some time

Knowledge

• What a dream. Life is an illusion
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Well I haven't heard much of his stuff but the ones Ive heard on his myspace profile were weak to me.
Maybe he needs some time to develop his style.

Uhhm Lyrically I aint feeling him though.
I guess I need to hear his album and I'll make my final judgement from that.

The track We here is just nice,but not my cup of tea.

oints

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +34/-56
  • the god san-hedrin
    • View Profile
this might sound a bit like a derailment but here it goes; i like Black millk, phat kat, m.e.d, Ohno or anybody who was fortunate enough to work with Dilla, but im afraid a few of them, those in the list and elsewhere border too much on sounding like they on dilla's D*&k, that sounds harsh, i know, i just think the poor man is being used as a gimmic by the same pple who claim to be "remembering his legacy"...the unfortunate things about gimmics is ofcos that they have a sellby date, when the "Dilla gimmic" ends whats goiing to come to our attention is that not many of these cats have a leg to stand on without waving that dead man' flag...

its not suprising thus that his own brother is tryingto jump on the band wagon...time will tell i guess... :)