Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Knowledge of Self

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +8/-7
    • View Profile
How important is knowledge of self as an element 2day?
What does it mean 2you and how r u pursuing it if u r?
How much of this is based on your religious affiliation as was evidenced by 5%ers and hebrew israelite rappers back in the day?
You are your best thing! - Toni Morrison (Beloved)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
How much of this is based on your religious affiliation as was evidenced by 5%ers and hebrew israelite rappers back in the day?

For myself it is extremely important, but for "hip hop" in general I don't think people nowadays even have a clue what you're talking about when you mention it.

I would elaborate, but its getting late and I'm tired.

The KWEDZA HOD

• Producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +23/-26
    • View Profile
    • Rebbi Muzik

For myself it is extremely important, but for "hip hop" in general I don't think people nowadays even have a clue what you're talking about when you mention it.

I would elaborate, but its getting late and I'm tired.

AG is my new home. late nights aint isht.
Anyway i second your statement, hip hop history should play a big role in the community of hip hop, but it aint. Kats is now jubkin off into their own isht, i don't know WTF. But its extremely important to know yourself and where you from, if you don't you would nt know what or where you working towards...
ya dig??

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
lovely topic :)

the funny thing is that I initially joined AG to try and get more "knowledge" of what hip-hop is about. i got tired of hearing heads go on about drum kicks and snares and having no idea what they were on about. But it seems that AG is a different space, its about promoting local music and to a large extent there is a hierachy of ppl who constantly big each other up and put other people down just for kicks.

ok so that was off topic but knowledge of Self has alowed me to pursue what I want and not what society dictates I should be doing. So i am at a point where its okay for me not to fit into a little box that says in order to be a woman you need to be dating this cat, listening to this music and drinking that blah blah blah.

With regards to music i think some artists do this hiphop thing because they can and that is evident in the kind of music they put out. But like the Rebbi said "its important to know yourself and where you from" ...I dnt know if that can be said for a lot of artists  ???
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
the knowing of self is something most people grapple with their whole lives. and in a place like joburg its even worse with people a**umin identities for different purposes...  how does a person start the journey of self discovery to know who they really are and what they want be it what they want for their lives, music, love etc
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • View Profile
i feel you betty

i think thts 1of th areas AG lacks,evn tho the forums are diverse and for the most part interesting.Knowledge of self is a building block, what are you rapping about if you don't know anything,if you never pick up a book or engage in introspection and pursue sm sort of personal mental/spiritual elevation, how are you benefiting the listener?
And this does not refer to rappers only, i think we as a people need to be more interested in our origins and make the link to hw they affect us, and find new maybe even truer ways of relating to the world we live in.

In this way we can use these forums to educate each other, or offer different perspectives

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • blog
so true hey, It's amazing how much I claim to know myself and yet have no idea where my people's origins are. like I know Tswana people are descended from the San (  i think) but never realy bothered to find out how or why because I don't see how it can relevant to me now ???
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:16:00 AM by ugly Betty »

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
I think its played out and irrelevant nowadays, hiphop should now focus on Knowledge of Wealth!
@cash_sog

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • View Profile
^^^^they are not mutually exclusive
ppl who pursue knowledge are nt necessarily broke

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • blog
I think its played out and irrelevant nowadays, hiphop should now focus on Knowledge of Wealth!

what about those cats who actuali embrace being broke and how hard it is to struggle..what will they rap about now?

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile

what about those cats who actuali embrace being broke and how hard it is to struggle..what will they rap about now?

U mean the Dickfest cats?
They will continue to perform for each other in Fathers Day gatherings.

I think Knowledge of Wealth is different from Knowledge of Self because K.O.Wealth is measurable. K.O.Self is just a never ending loop.

U may think u know ur self,until one day you realise you know nearly nothing,and the loop will continue throughout your life. Its like a dog chasing its tail. foolish!

Know where youre going to and get there(thats based on reality), rather than keep searching for where you came from(mainly based on theory).
@cash_sog

Knowledge

• What a dream. Life is an illusion
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +2/-2
    • View Profile

Knowledge of self is played out!!!!???Aish ya neh Cash.....

Z-DIGITAL

• THE IMAGECHEF
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +5/-10
  • Cookin food for thought>>>>>THE IMAGE CHEF
    • View Profile
I find that K.O.S to me as an artist and lyricist is extremely quinta**ential in that my material has more meaning to it, not only to me but to the reality of everyday life when I write something that is me that I know.

Not only is k.o.s important but it enhances and broadens the amount of stuff one can write about, one is able to paint a clearer picture in the eye of the listener, also one put him/herself in a place where they can personify metaphors and give life to the past.

When I started getting into hip-hop on a deeper level I started reading more into the history of black people, anthropolgy, music and the different facets that influence hip-hop lyrics and culture that we hear of and see so much of in video, like Henysse and Crystal.
I also supplemented this by gathering information about all the artists that influence my style of deliver and technique.

Knowing who I am has helped me to be able to pick which parts of my life I can write about that other people will better relate to..........

Just my thoughts.
spit flows so much you have to grow gills
Or you'll drown when my flows spill
Push me I'll make you run a suicide drill
To see through my WINDOWS i charge you GATE BILLS.....

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • blog

U mean the Dickfest cats?
They will continue to perform for each other in Fathers Day gatherings.

tl tl tl ;D

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
We should really have an ignore feature, cos some people are just too ignorant for words.