Mobile Music Downloads

Dpleezy · 24 · 6641

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Just got a message from the Neo Shanty group on Facebook telling me that Morale's new album is available for mobile/ digital download.

That's a good look, I thought, until I saw the price. Each track costs R20! That means, if I download the full album it's gonna cost me R320! (no discounts for downloading the full album either).

I know this is not Morale's fault - this thread isn't to diss him or Neo Shanty. It's the fault of the greedy mobile providers who have got their shit back to front. We're already in a market where consumers believe that music should be free. Digital distribution is supposed to make things cheaper for the consumer because there are less costs involved (no expensive packaging, no shipping costs, less middle-men taking a cut).

Do these service providers seriously believe that I'm gonna pay twice as much for the pleasure of downloading a low-quality mp3 to my phone or computer!? It's practically forcing people to turn to piracy. At least with a CD I get some nice artwork and high quality WAVE files.

I believe the price per track should be nearer R1 or even 50c. When faced with the choice of shelling out R20 for a track or just blue-toothing it from a friend, it's pretty obvious which route most people are gonna take.

Stupidity and greed are stopping up move forward into the digital age, and CDs are becoming more and more obsolete every year.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
R20 a track. Are they out of their f***ing minds?

I'll see if I can get hold of it, then I'll up it on AG for free.
I don't believe in pirating local music and I don't really care for Morale, but since they're trying to f*** with us, I'll make an exception on both counts.

Sorry Mo.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
I do think this sounds like a one-off though. From my experience, digital downloads, while suffering occasionally from quality issues, are normally fairly cheap and easy to use. Not a lot of local hip-hop is available on professional download sites to be fair, so bigs up to Neo Shanty, but this does sound like a cack-handed mobile provider getting it wrong. Or just being greedy.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
damn...not to sound cheap but id rather cop a street wise II meal. infact, its cheaper than that. R16.95 to be exact.

then again i know a couple people, mainly girls who actually download these R20 tracks. but its usually neyo and the likes. i wonder if heads would actually pay for this
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
yeah,,, like i said, it's not morale's fault, it's the service providers.

I went through this with planetary a**ault - in the end i just thought, f*** it, it's not worth it. you end up ripping off your consumers. it's just stupid.

there's not much point in signing up material to digital download sites either, because most people don't have credit cards.

mobile is the way forward in SA but these mobile service providers need to stop being greedy.  

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
damn muf***ers are desperate to cash in ne?

20 bucks a track? shit im used to downing tracks for a R1, they on some real bullshit, maybe dudes are running broke, so they tryina get some cash to apy rent and water rates, f*** it im not downing this ish, im just gonna wait till someone has it and then il turn my bluetooth on and search for new devices
Hood.

Bashin

• im the One
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-4
    • View Profile
wtf..?i downloaded 'i am ','you' by Reason ,Rise of the underdog by Pro at around R5 and R7.50 on wap.mocharts.co.za .R20 sorry id buy airtime and a Crackboys mixtape with the change !
www.kasimp3.co.za/s3P7 #BLAZIN_SPEAKERS

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
How does this thing work? If they sell a track for lets say R1, how much does a service provider get from that?

Malcom E.K.K.S

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-4
  • By any means necessary
    • View Profile
Come on y'all support local.. u can get 1 track every month, by the end of the 16th month which is somewhere in early 2010 u will have the full album...

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment
Come on y'all support local.. u can get 1 track every month, by the end of the 16th month which is somewhere in early 2010 u will have the full album...

hahahahahahahahahah

Zee-Supreme

• AG Regular
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile

I don't believe in pirating local music and I don't really care for Morale, but since they're trying to f*** with us, I'll make an exception on both counts.

Sorry Mo.

You are clearly a hater for real.
img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/soweto_photos/Doughboy_Avatar1.gif.jpg[/img]

Z MONEY BAGZ AKA DOUGHBOY SWAG>>>>AKA "IM BACK B!TCHES"

'SO SAY GOODNIGHT TO AG'S BADGUY'

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile

Sorry Mo.

You are clearly a hater for real.

Calling everything and everyone who doesn't agree with you a hater is so last month.

Just cos I won't pay R20 for a track, and I am not a fan, doesn't mean I'm hating, it just means I have a brain.

You should dl those tracks then and I'll get them from you, then I'll up them on AG. Cool?
Look at it as promoting Morale's album.

Bashin

• im the One
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-4
    • View Profile
Just a q : Why do people who claim to have 'swagger' always bitch about being hated on ?
www.kasimp3.co.za/s3P7 #BLAZIN_SPEAKERS

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Just a q : Why do people who claim to have 'swagger' always bitch about being hated on ?

Its part of their "swag". Bitching about criticism comes with the package.

It also includes a box full of no real talent and an unhealthy obsession with telling the whole world what they own, rather than letting their abilities, or lack thereof speak for themselves.

It goes like this: Me - "I'm not really feeling that track"
Them - "You're just a hater! I have a Beemer and 30 pairs of kicks. My teddy bear is made from real bear fur!"

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records