Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Yo ProVerb

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
What pressed you to keep performing when it was clear that you were being sabotaged at Baseline? At times your lips were moving but there was no sound. I think I saw you shrug your shoulders on some 'oh well'. You're a big artist in your own right and a lot of kids look up to you. In fact, in some's eyes, you've been an excellent amba**ador for hip hop. I was surprised that you allowed yourself to continue on stage when there was hardly any sound. Funny that sound got better when other acts came on. I understand it might be because the organisers paid you but I would've been encouraged to see you take a stand. I thought you'd walk off but when you stayed on I thought, 'there goes hip hop. If they could treat Pro like that, what will they do to a talented wordsmith from Sebokeng, Mamelodi, etc'?       
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Mayhaps it was for the love of it... maybe he wanted his true fiends to get a taste of his craft against all odds... maybe  @proverb i got a ticket to ur gig in nelspruit on saturday but had to bail out cos of my fractured ankle heard it was fire. big ups
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
What pressed you to keep performing when it was clear that you were being sabotaged at Baseline? At times your lips were moving but there was no sound. I think I saw you shrug your shoulders on some 'oh well'. You're a big artist in your own right and a lot of kids look up to you. In fact, in some's eyes, you've been an excellent amba**ador for hip hop. I was surprised that you allowed yourself to continue on stage when there was hardly any sound. Funny that sound got better when other acts came on. I understand it might be because the organisers paid you but I would've been encouraged to see you take a stand. I thought you'd walk off but when you stayed on I thought, 'there goes hip hop. If they could treat Pro like that, what will they do to a talented wordsmith from Sebokeng, Mamelodi, etc'?       

What happened at Baseline?
Damn i missed it. we had performances at Black Orchid,St Tropez and Moloko.

Yo Les, break it down B. my boy Lynx was there performing with TXL. how did it do?
@cash_sog

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
I missed Lynx and TXL. Only caught performances by ProVerb, L.E.S and the Ghetto Ruff brigade(Maggz, etc), Tuks and Pro. The crowd really liked Tuks and Pro. The latter brought the house down. The whole building was singing from the beginning of his set till he got off stage. There were allround chants (we want more). As for L.E.S, he might need to step his game up. No disrespect but he was wack on the night. Even when his label mates joined him on stage, it was pretty much the same story. I found it strange that Tuks and Pro, who are both bigger artists than L.E.S and his boys, were much more humble on stage and focused on getting the job done. L.E.S on the other hand had a guy bring him his chain and a pimp cup on stage. If that was meant to entertain the crowd, it backfired.     

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
man, the dude is dumb, thats why he continued...why wud one stay on stage moving his lips and noone can hear him spit, dude is not PROfessional , heheheh ;D

sure they told him he wont get diaper money if he dares jump off the stage...

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
@Billion. No need to disrespect the brother.  Show some cla**.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i've been having this conversation a lot recently. 'being professional' is not just down to the artist. an artist is always caught in the line of fire because on the one hand they are there to entertain and 'the show must go on', on the other hand, they damage their reputation if the sound is wrong (or non-existent).

we the paying public should be complaining to the venues and promoters when sound is bad, not blaming the artist.

As much as you can have technical riders signed by the promoters before the gig specifying a certain set-up, and do a sound checks, event organisers rarely have qualified, capable sound engineers on hand to make sure everything goes smoothly. even when they do, things can still go wrong.

An artist risks looking like a prima donna if he storms off stage because his mic isn't working properly. He also risks losing fee if he doesn't perform. Don't forget, an artist can't always hear that the sound is bad from on stage - he's not necessarily hearing what you're hearing as he's behind the speakers. That's why you should have the sound engineers behind the crowd facing the stage.

Next time the sound is bad at a gig, demand your money back from the promoter or the venue, don't blame the artist.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
@ Blacklez - you can't serious expect les to be humble on stage can you? :)

I've seen him do the gold chain gimmick a couple of times - it's part of his show. It kind of works in some instances, but i can see how with certain crowds it's not gonna go down well at all.

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
@DP. I don't think anyone is blaming Pro for the sound being bad. Even he could tell that the sound was not a good look. I agree though, organisers should take the blame for bad sound. Just wanted to know what was going through the dudes mind. Like i was saying, this dude is well-respected and it wasn't cool to see a fellow emcee suffer like that. Are we going to allow organisers to treat us like nothing just because they're paying us?

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop
@Billion. No need to disrespect the brother.  Show some cla**.

sorry i didnt see that dick sucking, butt mucnhing cla** in the prospectus, hence i missed that !!!

next baba

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
True, L.E.S can do what he likes on stage. I guess you have to have been at Baseline to know what I was criticising. I think L.E.S is a cool cat and have enjoyed some of his live performances with Jozi. On that Friday night, he was well below par and I'd be surprised if he wasn't aware of that. Was just saying that Tuks and Pro came on and had their game-faces on. They immediately connected with the crowd and weren't really goin on about their looks, clothes or 'swagger'. It was business as usual.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
L.E.S is a great performer! He puts on a SHOW.
All that stuff he does is to "entertain".
lol. i guess at Baseline it wud backfire. hahahhaha!
Too many broke niggas in the crowd. no disrespect. but its a good point u makin, u cant be dangling ur shine to a hungry crowd. u gotta play it humble.

Dplanet is absolutely right, dont blame Proverb. he was very professional. he did what was required of him....to perform for the allocated time!
The sound guys = UnPROfessional!

Same thing happened to us on Friday but we were more prepared.
We had a backup performance CD(with vocals) and one without.

When they told us 5 minutes b4 we get on stage that the 3rd mic isnt working! then the 2nd one died!

we had 1 working mic and the others dead!
Shud we still perform? YUP!
We gave the DJ the tracks(with vocals) got on stage and did our thing. crowd didnt even notice.
Theyd be pissed off if we didnt perform.catch 22 sumtimes. jus sayin.

Yo LEs, i agree tho, we need to be RESPECTED! these promoters look at hiphop artists like "pieces of shit"
It must come to an end now! it up to US!!!!!
@cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
@Blacklez. No we shouldn't allow organisers to treat us like nothing. At PU we have contracts that state if the sound isn't up to the minimum standard, the artist will not perform - that's the technical rider. this is signed before the event and a 50% deposit is paid up front. This gives the artist some security in knowing that the least they get is half their money and they don't have to damage their reputation.

Artists need to take a stand on this issue. If promoters start catching heat because artists won't perform on sub-par set-ups, they'll up their game quickly.

This is all just standard shit in Europe.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
L.E.S is a great performer! He puts on a SHOW.
All that stuff he does is to "entertain".
lol. i guess at Baseline it wud backfire. hahahhaha!
Too many broke niggas in the crowd. no disrespect. but its a good point u makin, u cant be dangling ur shine to a hungry crowd. u gotta play it humble.

Dplanet is absolutely right, dont blame Proverb. he was very professional. he did what was required of him....to perform for the allocated time!
The sound guys = UnPROfessional!

Same thing happened to us on Friday but we were more prepared.
We had a backup performance CD(with vocals) and one without.

When they told us 5 minutes b4 we get on stage that the 3rd mic isnt working! then the 2nd one died!

Shud we still perform? YUP!
We gave the DJ the tracks(with vocals) got on stage and did our thing. crowd didnt even notice.
Theyd be pissed off if we didnt perform.catch 22 sumtimes. jus sayin.

Yo LEs, i agree tho, we need to be RESPECTED! these promoters look at hiphop artists like "pieces of shit"
It must come to an end now! it up to US!!!!!

Guess hip-hop is all about being prepared! Much as I hate to give a performance that is lip-synched, I guess Cash is right: in SA you gotta come ready.

D is correct though. That technical rider should be absolutely standard.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

I swear, the amount of times this happens in insane.

We can perform hearth transplants, send people to the moon, build skyscrapers... but send a vocal signal to an amplifier?! - that seems to f*** us up every time.