Africasgateway.com

Yo ProVerb

ProVerb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-22
  • Write of Pa**age Out May 18th!!!
    • View Profile
    • ProVerb Music
Big Up for the sintiments fam! Must also throw some back and say big Up to the heads for not turning against me.
Often crowds misplace frustrations and turn against the performer.
There was a general awareness that the sound was not up to scratch but whenevr snippets of it came back the heads were with me big up ya'll.
Even during the B.S Heads kept cool. (That's a crowd you go all out for) Nuff Luv!!
Write of Pa**age out Now!!!

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
@Verb aka James Bond... I'm fiending for that mixtape dawg been bumping that James bond track heavy...

Dont u wanna throw in another track (an AG exclusive)

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Check James Bond on the latest 20/20

http://2020.mypodcast.com/2008/11/2020_EPISODE_55_091108-157946.html

So close. We were so damn close. GZA nearly - oh so very damn nearly - got himself an interview on 20/20. Unfortunately, his phone was turned off. Ah well. His loss. You know what these elder god rap legends are like...

We do have tracks from his slick new album Pro Tools though, plus some 8-Diagrams-era Wu. That and Proverb, Kid Acne, El-P and Cage.

Very different 20/20 this time around, from Def Jux to Beastie-style-raps to the slums of Shaolin. Lotta ground to cover. Best get stuck in now then.

20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
Sure Gents. But sometimes ama artists can be difficult as well.Espcially women. A boy of mine once tried to book a certain rap artist from a certain independant label and she refused to get on the plane because her first 50% of the payment wasnot reflecting in her account like her contract said it would. Everything was paid for,accommodation,flights but just because my boy missed one clause in the contract she refused to get on the plain.That was just f***edup.he said she will get in when she land but she refused saying he didnt stick to his side of the contract and how sure can she be that she will be payed.It stupid because they had paid flights so why wouldnt they pay her.this is why men say women are stupid.its not always promoters.ama artist can be difficult.

well i dont know much about this situation as you have explained it. but i must say i am tempted to say good for them.

i dont even know if its exclusively with regards to women even really. but anyway.

i dont know how many times i wished i could have backed out of performances. how many times i wished i had just walked away. penniless to boot. and im like one of the last people who can afford to be picky right now. but unless you set the boundaries you will forever be letting things slide. chasing an endless ferriswheel motion of 'exposure'. because then there you are having to be making useless explanations to landlords when you havent been paid. waaaaay beyond the time you should have been. and i mean way beyond the time. when you have done the work. when you have delivered. now you must be chasing up on people. who wants to be that person. who wants that for themselves. the stakes get high you guys.

artist or not, in any sphere, there are some serious practicalities of living. just like in any industry. there are some bottom lines. artists are people doing a job, this is work. for some people this isnt a hobby. this is the plan. for things to be working in the mickey mouse fashion they tend to makes things hard. and it makes trust hard too. we're treated with such disdain and disregard sometimes like we're playing. you will end up watching your back harder the next person. and then diva so be it. what is important is you will eat. you will pay your bills. you will have medical aid. throw in some insurance in there aswell maybe. people are trying to be building lives here. wanting the fluidity and 'normality' of existence. the mistakes impact on peoples lives. just like with anything. anywhere. the mistakes cost someone, usually you.

the experience of this is like people just dont understand. dont understand how difficult it is to say no. just even career wise. this is not an easy thing to do. this just saying no. so when someone does you must just understand its one risk too many taken for them. when you are not being taken seriously enough, somewhere along the line all that is left for you, is for you to take the initiative and declare yourself serious. and what follows is that there will be some no's then.

things go wrong here man.

- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

Buff Pound

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
  • www.roachinc.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • Roachinc
Sure Gents. But sometimes ama artists can be difficult as well.Espcially women. A boy of mine once tried to book a certain rap artist from a certain independant label and she refused to get on the plane because her first 50% of the payment wasnot reflecting in her account like her contract said it would. Everything was paid for,accommodation,flights but just because my boy missed one clause in the contract she refused to get on the plain.That was just f***edup.he said she will get in when she land but she refused saying he didnt stick to his side of the contract and how sure can she be that she will be payed.It stupid because they had paid flights so why wouldnt they pay her.this is why men say women are stupid.its not always promoters.ama artist can be difficult.

interesting story, but STILL, what guarantee did she have that her dough would be in her account when she lands? promoters are known to do that, they can book everything else and the actual payment they can defer until the gig is over and they start telling u about nah we've made a loss and all that bull shit, thats why contracts are there, if u miss 1 clause thats a breach, so she was well within her rights.

harde PRO, missed the gig, but yeah mayn i hear your explanation, but i also think that a stand needs to be made, as much as i feel what u r saying, the whole story for me doesnt jell. other people had good sound and you the only one who ddnt. that promoter needs to be aired out otherwise this ish will continue. i think even after all this publicity hiphop in mzansi enjoys we still treated like we beign done favors, by most people who in the game, seriously and its f***ed up. so many people behind the scenes are eating off hiphop except the actual artists who make hiphop. its bull shit mayn it truly is. big ups to PRO-KID and TUKS. VERB when is the mixtape dropping dawg?
N'veigh's Album ,titled 7.30, dropping on 7.30

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I think it's just about raising awareness amongst the fans. We should support our artists by not expecting them to perform if the sound is (really) bad; we get a bad show, the artist gets a bad rep. It's not even the promoters fault. The blame lies with the venues - it's their equipment and their responsibility to make sure they are doing their job properly. If more of us demanded our money back because artists refused to perform, the venue owners would fix things up quickly. We've all learned to accept the status quo.

The annoying thing is that there is really no excuse for bad sound. Like I said, it's not brain surgery. Clubs and venues just don't seem to take sound seriously, which is crazy when it's their core business. Even having a good sound system is no guarantee of good sound. A good sound system is nothing without a good sound engineer working the controls all night. Engineers often don't seem to know how to EQ systems for hip hop, but rappers have to take some blame here too - very few rappers have good mic control and end up shouting right into the mic (making the engineer's job almost impossible).

It's a really tough one. They didn't invent the phrase, 'the show must go on' for nothing. I applaud any artist who can find a way to entertain a crowd despite technical difficulties, but you have to draw the line somewhere or you end up damaging your reputation.

Buff Pound

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
  • www.roachinc.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • Roachinc
I think it's just about raising awareness amongst the fans. We should support our artists by not expecting them to perform if the sound is (really) bad; we get a bad show, the artist gets a bad rep. It's not even the promoters fault. The blame lies with the venues - it's their equipment and their responsibility to make sure they are doing their job properly. If more of us demanded our money back because artists refused to perform, the venue owners would fix things up quickly. We've all learned to accept the status quo.

The annoying thing is that there is really no excuse for bad sound. Like I said, it's not brain surgery. Clubs and venues just don't seem to take sound seriously, which is crazy when it's their core business. Even having a good sound system is no guarantee of good sound. A good sound system is nothing without a good sound engineer working the controls all night. Engineers often don't seem to know how to EQ systems for hip hop, but rappers have to take some blame here too - very few rappers have good mic control and end up shouting right into the mic (making the engineer's job almost impossible).

It's a really tough one. They didn't invent the phrase, 'the show must go on' for nothing. I applaud any artist who can find a way to entertain a crowd despite technical difficulties, but you have to draw the line somewhere or you end up damaging your reputation.

im about drawing the line. otherwise we will sit with this ish the whole time. only a discerning crowd will agree with you there on the idea of demanding their money back, cos the promoters themselves wont allow it, even the venue guys wont allow it, so the buck has to stop with someone. artists make the show period. artists shouldnt allow promoters to get them venues with poor sound or at least with no sound engineer, therefore promoters must do their homework and ensure that they have somethign that covers them if the sound bombs ou, and therefore the venue owner will take sound specs seriously, but it all has to start with someone. Proverb is a very talented and well stablished artists, and he managed to deal with the situation at hand, imagine an artist who doesnt command as respect as Proverb does, imagine that artist soundign wack cos o the sound, do you think the crowd will be as accommodating and as respeonsive as it was to Proverb? funny, even the promoter will look at that artists and say im nt bookin this cat again cos he couldnt move the crowd irrespective of the fact that the sound was weak. but then again thats the story o hiphop, bad organising, "thats hiphop son", terrible sound "thats hiphop son", wack performance "thats hiphop son", we need to take a stand against all this bull
N'veigh's Album ,titled 7.30, dropping on 7.30

Swordsman

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-21
    • View Profile
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HIP HOP

How many times do we have to utter that statements to these dick heads?

Capital B

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-2
    • View Profile
i don't mean to derail the thread and take da spotlight off proverb but since well i see most people are mentioning tuks. HAS ANYONE SEEN TUKS'S NEW ALBUM IN STORES? Because iv been looking for it and cant find it. n i believe it came out in october already.

Swordsman

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-21
    • View Profile
Yo I heard Tuks on Touch's show and he was spitting with that dude Silence from the US and he skinned the dude alive with his whole mature-now flow.

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
@ Pro yo my bad homeboytrust me this type of shit make me wana quit erday, bad mics, performing to non responding crowds, not coz you wack just coz they are rappers to and you better.
I agree wit MRC bowt maggz that joint is 2 dope. People in SA dont know what swag is, hahah the word got introduced to SA not to long ago, Nigga PLS swag bin here since Big Daddy Kane. Da Les was dumb pulling dat stunt @ Ba**line, he is a gud performer but sometimes he overdoes it
9 tha Pedigree

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
@K9. What is swag?
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
That Maggz joint "What's Good" is off the hinges.Saw him rip that shit apart with Bongz on Live the other day.

can anyone up it. please
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
@ Black lez, its definately more than an Amakipkip t-shirt, I was at a place once with sum niggaz who dress all tight and stuff with stunners and what not, you see im still into my air jordans and 3xl shirts you digg, so them niggaz were on sum yo k9 you need to step up yo swag ??? I was on sum what the f***? Its way more than clothes, its your persona, the way you portray yourself, example B.I.G was not the best looking guy but he jus had it. its the elegance you portray whether I rock my 3 xl shirt and you rock your tight fits. barack obama has swag
9 tha Pedigree