• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
all you hand sausages answer this... why the f*** should you pay an artist that can't even sell 100k and you're giving them the opportuinuty (f*** spelling... i'm tired) to perform alongside the f***ing game... for free... the guy that sells 559,076 copies not 35  :-*

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
all you hand sausages answer this... why the f*** should you pay an artist that can't even sell 100k and you're giving them the opportuinuty (f*** spelling... i'm tired) to perform alongside the f***ing game... for free... the guy that sells 559,076 copies not 35  :-*

I wonder how much The Game has sold in SA?

Draztik

• Producer - CEO
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +5/-1
    • View Profile
    • Unreleased Records
Wow this Topic AGAIN!!!.... I'm glad we moving to institute some type of group or a**ociation, and i do think RISA and Department of Arts Culuture should endorse it. I meantioned this before, Just accross the border in Botswana, when i brought DEAD PREZ there years ago, there's is a law that protects local artists.

1. you gotta have them on your bill
2. you gotta show proof of payment,

NOW is that too mcuh to ask for. we need the same act here in South Africa.

I'd really like to push this thing. I got nuff folks in LAW i'm sure we can propose something here.

D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:30:53 AM by Draztik »

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

@Che Monu
You are liable to pay a "live performer" for rendering his services to you.
Only the ''amount" you are paying the performer may be affected by factors such as "record sales", but it cannot mean that you pay them "nothing at all".

There are expenses that a performer incurs by rendering their time and services to you.

If you cannot meet their minimum requirements,then you must not disrespect them by calling them up and expecting freebies.

I just think the way forward now is for us to develop as UNDERSTANDING of what we are doing. This is a Business. Hence Business practices and principles must be followed.

@Draztik,
I appreciate you shedding some light on this topic. you spoke on this for a minute back, and niggas SLEPT on it.
For me it has now HIT HOME(my apologies for my ignorance).
But we have since August started performing live on an almost weekly basis and now I can say, I UNDERSTAND THE PLIGHT of SA performing artists(especially hiphop).

We barely get paid. Instead we incur MAJOR costs, just to get the chance to give our fans what they want. And we will continue to do it, only because of our loyalty to our fans. but it hits you when you realise "For how long can you afford to do these freebies and small paying shows at your OWN expense?"

It really disturbed me when I found out that our artists are not even getting payed for BIG EVENTS(when international artists come down here).

I think RISA can definitely play a pivotal role with the Organisation.
@cash_sog

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
One of the reasons why the US music market is so strong is because Americans don't spend their lives listening to music (and media) from other countries. They focus on their own shit and they invent their own styles. In other words, their insularity leads to innovation.

We spend our lives being bombarded, blinded and brainwashed by foreign media. It's 2009, 28 years since I dedicated myself to hip hop, and we still only have a handful of popular South African rappers who don't have American accents. On almost every show I watch on TV aimed at the youth, the 'cool' presenters have all adopted American accents. It implies that being South African isn't cool - that we have to change what we are to be accepted internationally. What must this do to the psyche of South African kids?

We have a serious lack of self-esteem because we are constantly exposed to expensive, technically flawless foreign media and we fail to see that economies of scale and marketing are behind the success of many mediocre foreign artists.

It's time we focused on what it means to be a South African musician in 2009. We are only ever going to have local stars to rival The Game if we can switch off foreign media and develop a proudly South African mindset. As the MTV MAMA Awards have shown, we let ourselves be treated as inferior artists in our own back yard!!

Once again, I salute Pro Kid on his stance and I hope a lot of other local artist openly adopt his revolutionary stance.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Just to give you a little example of what I'm talking about. I was at Heineken Green Room party in Cape Town a few weeks back. On the bill was HHP, Gang of Instrumentals, Pro Kid and Stoan. Naturally, these guys were all warm-up acts for Sean Kingston.

Our local boys killed it. They had the place going crazy, especially when they all did a freestyle jam at the end of Pro Kid's set. One of the most memorable moments was when Pro Kid spat something along the lines, "...and we don't wear Sean John, 'cause Diddy don't understand our loxion kulcha" - the crowd went wild. Pro also had the whole place doing the dance that goes along with Nthini Ngo Pro.

Then Sean Kingston came on stage and gave a pathetic performance that consisted of him telling us how "special" Cape Town was (in the most insincere possible way) and doing a hard sell on his new album. People started dispersing from around the stage and wandering off to the bar.

I have no doubt that Sean Kingston was probably getting 10 or 20 times as much money as the local acts because he is a platinum-selling artist. However, it was not him that rocked the crowd.

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile

what happened to that "dumbest thing ever said" thread

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
What the promoter should have done was to facilitate a collaborative performance with Sean Kingston and SA artists(just like how the SA artsits got together supporting each other). Then they ALL would have killed it together.

I personally LOVE sean john clothing. I have no qualms with Diddy(or any US artist), i have a problem with local promoters treating local artists like they are worthless.

I would like to share the stage with international artists, but I mustnt feel like there is division between us as performers.

I think the local artists at that particular event ralied together to protest because they were not being treated fairly as opposed to US acts. I love the fact that they did that. It shows that there was an imbalance which must be addressed.

Thanks for giving the example D. It's very eye opening.
@cash_sog

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile

what happened to that "dumbest thing ever said" thread
Done...

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
Its nice to see that we all agree on a common goal here!. About 6 months ago I had to mc an event at Carfax which I never got paid for. Now the promoter f***ed me over hectically and avoided my calls and what not! Yes it was a mere R500 that he owed me but the fact still remains I had to drive there and hang at that place till 2am, and honestly I did have better things to do on a friday. To date he still hasnt paid me and I havent let it go. I approached a music lawyer and he suggested I go to the small claims court which I did! A summons has been issued against this organiniser and he is liable for my legal cost (Around R3000). The point im trying to make is, I could have let this go, but that fact that I respect myself and take myself professionally means that I need to get paid Regardless of whether you had a crowd or not.

Its simple maths! You cant open a car dealership and tell the landlord that you haven't sold a car and therefore should not pay rent!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Nice one Ex.
Its improtant that " If you dont respect me(the artist),then respect my rights(and my lawyer!)
@cash_sog