Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Hip hop media

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
Don't know if this has been discussed yet but don't some of you feel like SA needs one or two more hip hop magazines (nationwide)? I reckon that would keep everyone on their toes and publications might be forced to improve if there's competition. Just worries me that we only have one hip hop magazine. It's getting to a point where most rappers are at Hype's mercy because there are no alternatives, and that's not a good thing. The standard of journalism (allround) in hip hop will improve if there is competition between publications. Question is, are there publishing companies willing to invest in such an idea?
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
Wuss gud pa? I co-sign u on the need 4 sum competition 4 our beloved hype. U do sum writing and must b in touch wit sum people able to provide such answers. I'm pretty certain a.g wil echo ur sentiments so, unless sum of our esteemed net acquaintances have input beyond opinions, y dnt u try and find out frm people wit answers and reasoning pertaining to the matter at hand. i.e The feasibility of such! thats if u hav the time...
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
I think the idea is good(ie. a competitor for HYPE). But more importantly we must also see that HYPE is already in competition with every other urban youth magazine which it shares shelf space with.

If there are two hiphop magazines out,it is important that to a certain extent they will SUPPORT each other as they serve a common purpose. ie. To promote Hip-Hop.

The rivalry must be healthy. Not politically driven or power driven.
But the one must keep the other on its toes. kind of like "The Monopoly(Cash VS Koli), or The Anvils(Les VS NVeign)

Make Sense?
@cash_sog

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
I'm surprised that this is not something that some of the AGians have started to work on. Right here on AG we have emcees, writers, graphic designers, photographers..hell the whole hip hop culture meets here.

I'm just saying that if i was running AG part of my vision would be to have an all round media outlet. Why should we have to wait on the big dogs to do shit for us when we are more than capable of doing our own working and supporting it all the way.

Consider this... Through networking on AG we could come up with ways of having: hip hop publications (magazines, dvds), mixtapes, t-shirts, videos, tours etc. etc

So i've been questioning why these type of ideas aren't coming from AGians on the regular...
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
I'm surprised that this is not something that some of the AGians have started to work on. Right here on AG we have emcees, writers, graphic designers, photographers..hell the whole hip hop culture meets here.

I'm just saying that if i was running AG part of my vision would be to have an all round media outlet. Why should we have to wait on the big dogs to do shit for us when we are more than capable of doing our own working and supporting it all the way.

Consider this... Through networking on AG we could come up with ways of having: hip hop publications (magazines, dvds), mixtapes, t-shirts, videos, tours etc. etc

So i've been questioning why these type of ideas aren't coming from AGians on the regular...

'Cos AG don't pay ;D

I'll have more thoughts on this tomorrow. It's a fair point.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I have to agree with Rob.

As much as I would love to write for and be involved with a Hip Hop publication full-time, I unfortunately have to eat, and pay the bills. If AG could somehow afford to pay me a salary, I would jump at the opportunity, but as it is, I hardly have enough time to juggle work, studies and fit in a social life.

Maybe, once I am done studying (if that ever happens), I would like to hook up with some people and do this, cos I have been considering it. We all know enough people to do this, but the problem is that we are all also stretched really thin.

the brand®

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +0/-14
  • PAINT (25-03-11)
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/childakapoet
I have to agree with Rob.

As much as I would love to write for and be involved with a Hip Hop publication full-time, I unfortunately have to eat, and pay the bills. If AG could somehow afford to pay me a salary, I would jump at the opportunity, but as it is, I hardly have enough time to juggle work, studies and fit in a social life.

thats some truth right there Pyro.
What ever happened to Levitation...that cape town hiphop mag...i only got the first issue and then it all went blank.

That more truth...and the cool thing is they are all from different provinces and everyone can document they hoods...
but cats is lazy and bias for real.........here in lies the problem...we would have coverage but not fair coverage unto...crews that they dont like etc.
u know this is hiphop and we all just dont get along.

f*** id love to be a part of such a publication. but alas we wont see it anytime soon. And worse is most these cats did business studies and marlketing Advertising...f***
we have all departments needed to make this work.
But will cats do this?

let us await the next reply

WORDSMITH

• The wap up starts at the bottom.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-21
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com

Don't know if this has been discussed yet but don't some of you feel like SA needs one or two more hip hop magazines (nationwide)? I reckon that would keep everyone on their toes and publications might be forced to improve if there's competition. Just worries me that we only have one hip hop magazine. It's getting to a point where most rappers are at Hype's mercy because there are no alternatives, and that's not a good thing. The standard of journalism (allround) in hip hop will improve if there is competition between publications. Question is, are there publishing companies willing to invest in such an idea?

CO-SIGN on that note.

Not to derail the thread... What happend yo that digital CAP CITY mag?... i got a hold of three issues and never heard anything else.
"Hip Hip is Hip Hip, We quick to Judge,
But we aint quick enough to not be Judged"
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

Hip Hop Fan

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-8
    • View Profile
Its gonna be hard but we need one that can cover at least southern africa!

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
dope idea nice and fresh man

you actually have a point, hype alone is kinda boring, we ned something that we can relate to hype, we need atleast like 5 magz
the movement is kinda slow, you know hype takes months to realese their next issue, that means people who cant access the internet for hip hop news must wait for that long, we need something more, another mag

it would be nice, it would even coz hype to be quick in realising their next issue.

we ned this man, good idea

im actually going to take this into serious acount

and who knows maybe a new hip hop mag in sa might be on the store shelves soon
Hood.

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
okay as long as the sentiments are shared it makes me feel better...

unfortunately as an underground emcee chasing a medical degree i can't comment much on the feasibility and sustainability of such a venture. has anyone got stats on how HYPE magazine is selling. because it is good and well talking about big ideas, but if we are not supportive of our own creations, we'll fall victim to grandiose delusions.

I'm a hard worker. I can make things happen. Write now Super Ruthless and i are trying to start up an AG mixtape, we will obviously inform everyone soon about the ins and outs of that....

But if there are more people who are not only keen, but competent in carrying out such a project... Let's halla.

I think it's time for us to take ourselves seriously as hip hop. there are so many opportunities in our culture, but for far too long we have been a nest for self loathing and pessimism.

Halla back
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

Trinidad-Hux

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +16/-18
    • View Profile
It's always good to have alternatives.. Imagine if there was only one radio station in SA... I reckon anyone with a journalism background would smile at the idea of a new publication. Competition is important in this field as it helps raise the standard. If there are no competitors then it might be difficult for that one publication to be motivated (to improve). Complacency is a human weakness and it will creep in if one is not kept on their toes. I have a few ideas but it'll require wisdom, a solid plan, discipline, structure and financial backing to execute them.
quot;Don't take shots if you ain't usin a handgun"

Z-DIGITAL

• THE IMAGECHEF
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +5/-10
  • Cookin food for thought>>>>>THE IMAGE CHEF
    • View Profile
What happens when you marry an $82 million hip-hop brand and an $80 million R&B empire? You get Hollywood's best-paid power couple.

Thanks to a monster year filled with music, movies, fashion and endorsement deals, Jay-Z and his new bride, Beyonce Knowles, collectively raked in $162 million between June 1, 2007 and June 1, 2008. The jaw-dropping sum garners them bragging rights atop our first annual ranking of Hollywood's Top-Earning Couples, a list that also includes A-list pairings Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman, David and Victoria Beckham, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, and Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, among others.

In Pictures: Hollywood's Top-Earning Couples

"Naturally, powerful people tend to gravitate toward other powerful people," explains clinical psychologist and celebrity researcher Jim Houran, for reasons that range from proximity (stars hang around other stars) to familiarity (people are attracted, at least initially, to others like them) to clearer expectations (shared priorities make it easier for celebrities to relate). No matter how they get together, the results are good for the bottom line.

Take Will and Jada Pinkett Smith. They hauled in some $85 million over the past year, making them No. 2 on our list. Though Jada's resume continues to grow, Will's the family breadwinner. He raked in $80 million in the year ending June 2008, thanks to another set of top-performing blockbusters: "I Am Legend," "The Pursuit of Happyness," and this past summer's "Hancock." Together the flicks banked $1.2 billion at the worldwide box office, making him Hollywood's most bankable star.

More galleries on Forbes.com
The Top-Selling Celebrity Faces
The Most Expensive Celebrity Baby Photos
Hollywood's Best-Paid Actors
Hollywood's 10 Top-Earning Actresses

Jada pulled in $5 million during the same 12-month period, thanks to roles as an actress ("The Women"), producer ("The Human Contract"), and businesswoman (a stake in beauty line Carol's Daughter).

Third: David and Victoria Beckham. Conquering fans on both sides of the Atlantic, the power couple brought in $58 million over the year-long period.

Becks' share was $50 million, proving the much-covered move to America has paid off for the British soccer star. Though his Los Angeles Galaxy salary was $5.5 million, the sum more than doubled when his cut of the team's ticket, merchandise, and sponsorship revenues were factored in. He also pulled down a cool $35 million from lucrative endorsement deals with Motorola, Adidas, Coty and PepsiCo, among others.
spit flows so much you have to grow gills
Or you'll drown when my flows spill
Push me I'll make you run a suicide drill
To see through my WINDOWS i charge you GATE BILLS.....

TY-D-CPT-021-NKE

• Go tell your mother cause i dont give a f**
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-47
  • "Dont kyk me by the gevriet aka dont judge snitch!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thesamark.co.za/WC-NKE.aspx
yo ONE that is true and id like to feature on that mixtape fo sho...if the criteria is met i suppose?..we as mc should make a stand and make ourselves heard and i think ctv is the spot...now more than ever our time it is our time waitng for us to endorse the flame...
i mean cats are going craze on that tv shows!!
people be juding me by the way that i walk even when i talk they say i got swagger like i be from new york..#print that bitches!