Africasgateway.com

16 Days of Activism against Abuse

cash · 38 · 6951

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
Whats Cracking AGians, I just wanted to share something with you all.

Imagine if, for 16 days, there was no rape, no child abuse, no sexual hara**ment, no emotional abuse. *Thats whats Cracking*

The 16 Days of Activism campaign challenges South Africans to declare a truce on violence against women and children - and, ultimately, to make it a permanent one.

Around the country, South Africans are being called on to combat violence against women and children. For the eighth year, SA is taking part in the global 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women campaign, which runs from 25 November (International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women) through to International Human Rights Day on December 10.

SMS '16 Days' to 31616 and stand to win big prizes.

The R5 cost of your SMS will be matched by the Foundation for Human Rights and used by organisations working with victims of violence. 

Although the global campaign focuses on violence against women only, South Africa added children to its campaign because of the high incidence of child abuse in the country.

South Africa is still home to high levels of violence against its women and children, despite a world-renowned Constitution and a legislative overhaul that safeguard women's rights.

This year the campaign, coordinated by the Department of Correctional Services, is popularising the white ribbon as a symbol of personal and organisational commitment to the eradication of violence against women and children.

Sign the post card pledge
Sign the online pledge against women and child abuse, and help raise funds for organisations that support survivors of abuse.
http://16days.dcs.gov.za/ 

The white ribbon, according to the department, symbolises the commitment of the wearer to "never commit or condone violence against women and children, and to speak out about violence where they see it."

The campaign also aims to:

-Generate greater awareness of the negative impact of violence on the development of women and children.
-Stress the importance of partnerships between government and civil society in eradicating women and child abuse.
-Involve men and boys as crucial role-players in the eradication of violence against women and children.
-Provide victims and survivors of violence with information about legislative services and other mechanisms put in place by the government to ameliorate the impact of violence on their lives.
-Raise funds for non-governmental and community-based organisations working with victims and survivors of violence.
@cash_sog

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
As much as I support the initiative and wish that it could become a reality, I have to see it for what it is, a pipedream.

There are too many sick f***s out there and the people who do support the initiative are really the proverbial choir who do not need to be reminded that abusing and killing our women and kids is wrong.

The rest just don't give a f***.

THAT LADY!

• I'm just a lil angel , I bring good luck!
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +20/-50
  • Your Royal flyness
    • View Profile
As much as I support the initiative and wish that it could become a reality, I have to see it for what it is, a pipedream.

There are too many sick f***s out there and the people who do support the initiative are really the proverbial choir who do not need to be reminded that abusing and killing our women and kids is wrong.

The rest just don't give a f***.
so how do we get to them ?

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-28
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
This must be a daily campaign in our communities and not just for the 16 days...the violence against women and children needs to be stopped...

All the silence needs to stop, make that noise...get help...dont just stand around and watch yo fellow sista get beaten up, do something...if u are afraid to intervene, pa** the message to sum1 who can...

No one has the right to beat u up, no matter wat u might hav done...

Speak out...save a life...

WORDSMITH

• The wap up starts at the bottom.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-21
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com
I've realised that I see more abuse during this time than any other time of the year... And people find harder to speak about thing that doesn't concern them (me included)... Im sure you know where I come from(Kasi)... Its festive nou... and you know its going to get worse than it is and speaking out aint an option from my hood. We suck it up and hope for it to get better, You don't wanna stick your nose in somebody thats gonna call you a home wrecker's business, After sending a bread winner to jail...
"Hip Hip is Hip Hip, We quick to Judge,
But we aint quick enough to not be Judged"
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I've realised that I see more abuse during this time than any other time of the year... And people find harder to speak about thing that doesn't concern them (me included)... Im sure you know where I come from(Kasi)... Its festive nou... and you know its going to get worse than it is and speaking out aint an option from my hood. We suck it up and hope for it to get better, You don't wanna stick your nose in somebody thats gonna call you a home wrecker's business, After sending a bread winner to jail...

We should make it clear that jail would be the least of his worries.

Instead of reporting him to the cops, gather up a group of your boys and beat the fear of God into him.

Dorian...

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
  • I got next....
    • View Profile

Instead of reporting him to the cops, gather up a group of your boys and beat the fear of God into him.

Dorian...

As much as I dont like violence...that sounds like a plan...and believe u me, he'll get the message...

It reminds me of some party at Medunsa, some guy hit the hostess with a bottle and he didnt get far afta that, he got one hell of a beating from everyone including the gals...he'll think twice before doing it again...

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com

Dorian...

As much as I dont like violence...that sounds like a plan...and believe u me, he'll get the message...

It reminds me of some party at Medunsa, some guy hit the hostess with a bottle and he didnt get far afta that, he got one hell of a beating from everyone including the gals...he'll think twice before doing it again...

I doubt it... What happens if the guy goes and kill each one of the people that beat him up? what then? or worse... He kills his Family and hangs himself?... is the matter solved?
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
I doubt it... What happens if the guy goes and kill each one of the people that beat him up? what then? or worse... He kills his Family and hangs himself?... is the matter solved?

Now thats something else...but the problem needs to be taken care of...too bad counselling is not popular in the african community...ppl need to learn how to manage their anger and resolve their issues...they need to accept that they got problems and work them out properly...

Ppl forget wats important and lose themselves in the moment... They keep things inside and let them pile up until they explode...hurting their loved ones...they resort to drugs and alcohol instead of seeking help...

we as the community must also do our part, we must stop labelling ppl who receive counselling as weak, we must encourage them to get help, giv support, show them there's ways of dealing with issues without havin to be violent...
All that talk of putting a woman in her place needs to stop....if there's mutual respect, there'll neva be a need to "put a woman in her place"...

If we all keep quite...we givin them the impression that their behaviour is acceptable...and the violence against women and children will neva stop....

Say something....save a life...

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com

Now thats something else...but the problem needs to be taken care of...too bad counselling is not popular in the african community...ppl need to learn how to manage their anger and resolve their issues...they need to accept that they got problems and work them out properly...

Ppl forget wats important and lose themselves in the moment... They keep things inside and let them pile up until they explode...hurting their loved ones...they resort to drugs and alcohol instead of seeking help...

we as the community must also do our part, we must stop labelling ppl who receive counselling as weak, we must encourage them to get help, giv support, show them there's ways of dealing with issues without havin to be violent...
All that talk of putting a woman in her place needs to stop....if there's mutual respect, there'll neva be a need to "put a woman in her place"...

If we all keep quite...we givin them the impression that their behaviour is acceptable...and the violence against women and children will neva stop....

Say something....save a life...

Man the solution is simple... just try to stay in your own place untill the victim asks for help from you... then what you do is to point the person in the right direction...
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Man the solution is simple... just try to stay in your own place untill the victim asks for help from you... then what you do is to point the person in the right direction...

Or till she is beaten to death or her child raped and then we can sit and ask what happened.

This is exactly the attitude of apathy that is the cause of the shit.

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com

Or till she is beaten to death or her child raped and then we can sit and ask what happened.

You got a point...  but interfering won't help you or the victim either.
- Philo (Bloem Cat)

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile

Yes it will.
Me and my boys were chilling in front of Whispers one night when some boy started beating his girl in the face with fists that you could hear from across the road.

We stomped him, and those Nigerian dudes from the joint across the road even smashed his car's windows, to make the point clear that they won't stand for this shit. It stopped the girl from being beaten, and I'm sure he thinks twice about that kind of thing now.

The girl also left him after that, and she is engaged to one of my boys now.

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
@ Pyro, I feel your sentiments man. The plight we see our women and children facing is inhumane!

And if knocking a niggas head wide open is the only way you can reach him,so be it! It may not be the right way, but sometimes it can save a woman/child from continued abuse, or even their LIVES!
@cash_sog

WORDSMITH

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com

Yes it will.
Me and my boys were chilling in front of Whispers one night when some boy started beating his girl in the face with fists that you could hear from across the road.

We stomped him, and those Nigerian dudes from the joint across the road even smashed his car's windows, to make the point clear that they won't stand for this shit. It stopped the girl from being beaten, and I'm sure he thinks twice about that kind of thing now.

The girl also left him after that, and she is engaged to one of my boys now.

And they lived Happily ever after...  :D  :D :D

I get you man...
Whan are droping by in bloem?.... Kovsie misses your Black a**...
- Philo (Bloem Cat)