Lee from The Bridge Press Release

t2da · 26 · 6745

t2da

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-10
    • View Profile
9 December 2008

Dear Valued Media

It is with a very heavy heart that I, Leslie “Lee” Kasumba, would like to officially announce my departure from regional radio station, YFM. Much has been said and written in the media with regards to the reasons for my departure after 8 years of servitude at the youth station – much of it is unfounded.
Up until this time I have chosen to keep this matter private firstly out of respect for YFM, which was my home for just under a decade and has afforded me the many opportunities that I am grateful for. Working for YFM meant that I had direct contact with the youth of Gauteng (and beyond) and was able to liase and build strong bonds with them through my influence using hip hop.
It is because of my love of this very youth and of hip hop that I can no longer watch from the sidelines as my reputation and hip hop takes the rap for what was clearly a mistake. It is important to note here that I still have this respect for the YFM brand and in no shape or form am attempting to bring disrepute to it. I merely deserve the right to tell the truth in attempts to expose the fabrications that have been doing the rounds, particularly in the Sunday papers.
Late last year YFM management held a meeting with all the DJs to inform them that liquids in a sealed container, like a bottle, would be allowed in the studio.
It is with this information in mind that I took a bottle of water into the studio on the night of 4 November 2008 before my show. I accidentally bumped the bottled water – which was rested on a drawer that has wheels, a fact that I had not noticed before. Some of the water spilled on a technical desk. None of this was intentional.
Once I realized that I could not clean the water up I then immediately informed the technical guy who was on duty that night. My radio team and I then changed studios so we could wrap up the show. Directly after the show I notified the head of YFM, Mr Kanthan Pillay as well as Mr Vukile Zondi of my mistake and apologized for it. It was only on 6 November 2008 that I was told by Mr Zondi that I was suspended and would have to appear in front of a Disciplinary Committee on 10 November 2008.
This hearing only took place two weeks later.
Because of my mistake I was told that I would be charged with gross negligence as the desk would cost a quarter of a million rand to repair. This is the same information that was fed to the media. This is definitely a lie and a spiteful thing to say.

Upon realizing that perhaps it was time for YFM and I to part ways I sent e-mails to the HR department to find out about the resignation process. None of these were replied to. After my enquiries on the resignation process seemed to be ignored I was then called in for the verdict.
It was stated that because of what it would cost the company, I was to be dismissed – even though I’d already expressed my desire to resign. Mr Mike Penny, YFM’s Technical Manager, also informed me that the repair would only amount to R15 000. None of this has been reported to the media as yet.

Keeping in mind that I have served YFM diligently for 8 years and never brought shame to the YFM name, publicly or otherwise, I find it difficult to understand why I would be treated like I was a troublemaker. I recognize that no one is above the law and that I should be punished for my mistake however the reasons for this personal matter turning controversial have left me shocked.
Once again I emphasise that I have no bad blood with YFM. I just wanted to make sure that people have the facts before they start writing or speaking about this on any platform. I am truly humbled by the love that the public has continued to show me through the good and bad times. Thank you for reading through this whole letter, I had really hoped it wouldn’t have to come to this.
Should you require any clarity on anything please do not hesitate to e-mail me on leslie.kasumba@gmail.com. Please bear in mind that I will be on holiday for the rest of the year and will have limited access to the internet.

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Damnnn.f***ed up. How they gonna disrespect the QUEEN like that ?Are we gonna sit back and let them trample all over us again,like they did with Zwai ?  Or like with Mzekezeke when he dissed us and we all kept quite ? Next thing dude shows up @ the HYPE AWARDS.

I say we start a petition as the hip-hop community.

BRING BACK DA BRIDGE !!!!!

Ya'll with me ?
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile
Damnnn.f***ed up. How they gonna disrespect the QUEEN like that ?Are we gonna sit back and let them trample all over us again,like they did with Zwai ?  Or like with Mzekezeke when he dissed us and we all kept quite ? Next thing dude shows up @ the HYPE AWARDS.

Ya'll with me ?

Excuse my ignorance but are they getting rid of Da Bridge completely or are they getting rid of her and are planning on getting another host/hostes?

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm

Ya'll with me ?

Im IN!

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
f*** Y, that was a bitch move. Good luck to Lee in whatever she does next.

I still think she should replace Taebo.

Lord Deacon Of Frost

• Deac>>>>>>YOU
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +44/-39
  • You shall DIE!
    • View Profile

Blizzard

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +16/-17
    • View Profile

Ya'll with me ?

Excuse my ignorance but are they getting rid of Da Bridge completely or are they getting rid of her and are planning on getting another host/hostes?

good question!!

Touareg

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
    • View Profile
f*** Y, that was a bitch move. Good luck to Lee in whatever she does next.

I still think she should replace Taebo.

COSIGN that mayn, Y-FM done f***ed up big time here...
Real Recognise Real

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Well there was no bridge last night. Just some stupid broad playing commercial shit. So i think it's safe to say it might be over ?
T ?
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
With all respect im not really worried about the bridge! Im upset at the way she was treated! I mean she been there for how long and now she just gets kicked out and disprespected? thats just plain wrong! and last week was the last show!

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I think there was more at play here than simply spilling some water. I've broken quite a few bits of studio equipment myself at a station that doesn't have half the money that Y has, and I was never fired.

I think they were looking for a reason and this was a convenient one. Why I don't know, and I don't wanna start a conspiracy theory, but something is fishy to me.

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile
Lee can press release these fine fluffy nutz.
Beating bitches since 1982.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Im upset at the way she was treated! I mean she been there for how long and now she just gets kicked out and disprespected? thats just plain wrong!

yeah the could have handled this whole thing better.

"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

OG Beezak

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +6/-16
  • uMlazi--- keep hustling
    • View Profile
I think there was more at play here than simply spilling some water. I've broken quite a few bits of studio equipment myself at a station that doesn't have half the money that Y has, and I was never fired.

I think they were looking for a reason and this was a convenient one. Why I don't know, and I don't wanna start a conspiracy theory, but something is fishy to me.

Dunno ish about the Bridge.....but I co-sign you there ma nicc. I know Lee as an African hip hop amba**ador and guiding figure in the culture. Judging from this article, yeah Y done f***ed up. Maybe they wanted to have new face for the Bridge or for YFM hip hop. Which is the lamest...if there's such a word..move ever...both for S.A. hip hop and YFM as well (cos Lee has branded her name in hip hop, which counts a lot having her at Y)

This is a lesson for all of us--------not to be too trusting when it comes to these (commercial) organisations. Don't get me wrong, I ain't blaming Lee. I'm just saying we do too much for professional recognition/acknowledgement and praise, but recieve less. We end up not doing much for ourselves (i this case, excluding Lee cos she done an impressive job with regards to her career---from the streets to the lab---hahaha---I mean to the office---she's respekted). We end up doing less for our development. We go through sleepless nights working, no lunch at some days, extra work hours and recieve a pat on the shaulder afterwards. And then when a problem comes up we take all the heat. Spotlight nah, the manager takes it all.

That's just the way it is in this professional world we were craving so much to be part of.

Lee....got a very bright future ahead of her. I guess it just her love for hip hop that may be compromised where ever she's going. Cos, as we all know---- house rules are different. Y/Metro/Ukhozi are 3 diff. things, guided by diff. rules, for an example

One
Straight outta Mzilayi. It's that code 031 baby
              Hip Hop till 'am 75. Gcwala

emceeKasualT

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-14
  • The Forefather of your nuts
    • View Profile
    • 5th Floor
Having been at Lees last show last week I can concur with the sentiments shared. Its a definite loss. Truth be told.. Lee didnt even know a whole bunch of hip-hop heads would show up just to show her support. I had heard rumours of what had happened and didnt even know if they were true... but when I got the call I was like.."im there". Lee was more than just a "The Bridge" hostess and I think we all know it. Its funny how Mizi was making a joke that the studio smelt 'like brothers'.. cos they were so many cats in there. Truth be told... there arent any other females who represent hip-hop like Lee does in SA. Never been. YFM will probably not be able to find someone else with her deep knowledge and love of hip-hop. South African hip-hop is on the same track as that studio that night. Its gonna smell like brothers if more females of Lees calibre dont step up to bat. Word is bond.

lil niggaz they ain't around that powder
They ain't Super or Luigi or Mario, ain't found that power/
plus they couldn't spit fire if they found that flower.. You don't move white you lyin' dogg/
that's a neverending story without the white flying dog