Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Battle For Bloem

cash · 20 · 4615

Poll

Who were you backing in the Battle for Bloem?

COPE
ANC

cash

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-66
  • Courage Ambition Strength Hustle
    • View Profile
Both the ruling ANC and the newly formed Congress of the People held rallies in Bloemfontein, where they both proclaimed themselves the true defenders of the country’s constitution .

ANC president Jacob Zuma urged war veterans of the ANC’s erstwhile military wing, Mkhonto weSizwe (MK), to defend the ANC against attempts to divide it.

Speaking at a rally celebrating MK’s 47th anniversary, he said — in what can be taken as a reference to the challenge posed by Cope — that MK had been established to “defend the people” and hasten the journey to freedom.

The ANC, Zuma said, needed MK soldiers to defend it once more from attempts to divide the party.

“We must defend our hard-won democracy and our country’s constitution. We must defend our democratic institutions and ensure that they are never, ever used to fight factional political battles,” Zuma told a 13000-strong crowd at Seisa Ramabodu stadium.

He was speaking minutes after Cope leader Mosiuoa “Terror” Lekota told his party’s inaugural conference that there was a “crisis” of leadership in the ANC.

Cope, he suggested, would, as its first priority, defend the constitution from attack by the ruling party.

Responding to Zuma’s call, the chairman of the MK Military Veterans’ a**ociation, Kebby Maphatsoe, said the veterans were ready to defend the party from attacks.

“We are ready for war and nobody must stand in our way when we mobilise for the ANC,” he said.

On the closing day of its conference at the University of the Free State, Cope received a major boost when anti-apartheid cleric Allan Boesak and his wife, Elna, joined the party, triggering cheers and rousing applause.

Boesak, who was immediately given the podium, wasted no time in attacking the ruling party and offering to campaign for Cope.

“ I am going to serve my country, if you can find a position where I can serve my country, but I cannot serve within the ranks of the ANC anymore,” he said.

“There are just too many things that leave me uncomfortable; that would make it difficult to defend that image [of the ANC] in public.”

Boesak suggested that the Zuma- led ANC would destroy the country if Cope did not challenge it.

“South Africa is not destined for destruction. We have a God-given destiny to fulfil and the time to fulfil that destiny is now.

“You are part of this moment of destiny. You are part of this tidal wave of the future, you are part of the sanctuary of hope we are offering South Africa’s people,” Boesak said.

Though promising to lock horns in the battle for votes, the leaders of both parties conceded that they had made mistakes .

Zuma said: “We might not have balanced our governance and party work well. In this context, all who led the ANC in the past 15 years should take collective responsibility for any possible weaknesses, as well as take credit for the successes.”

Lekota admitted to journalists that some of the policies of the government in which he had participated since 1994 have not worked.

Cope’s conference ended on a high note yesterday with delegates singing and dancing in celebration of the confirmation of Lekota as their presidential candidate .

Some of Cope’s delegates could not hold back tears when popular musician Zwai Bala, now a Cope member, led them in an emotional rendition of Josh Groban’s hit You Raise Me Up.

Before the start of yesterday’s proceedings, Cope delegates marched around the university campus, chanting slogans ridiculing Zuma.

They chanted “i-Cope ayina shower!” [Cope has no shower] in reference to Zuma’s controversial statements during his rape trial. Zuma was acquitted of the charges.

After the conference, Cope members packed Bloemfontein’s cricket stadium, which has a capacity of about 10000.

At the MK rally, ANC Youth League president Julius Malema urged the war veterans to heed Zuma’s call to defend the party.

He promised that the veterans would be included in the party’s list of nominees for seats in parliament.

“They [the veterans] will defend Zuma, the legacy of the late Chris Hani.

“We are proud of you — as poor as you are — and will put you in the ANC national list to parliament,” Malema said.

@cash_sog

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
COPE is the future!
The ANC is the past!
@cash_sog

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-28
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
It seems like everyone who's running to COPE does so because of Zuma and Malema, does that mean if there were to be new leaders in the ANC y'all wud go bak to it?

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
I would have left the ANC a LONG time ago(Before Zuma and Malema), but there was no alternative that I could relate to! Now there is, and im COPE'ing!
@cash_sog

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
The Black Lawyers a**ociation (BLA) expressed concern on Wednesday over newly elected COPE president Terror Lekota's statement on affirmative action, labelling it as a "threat".

At the party's inaugural conference on Tuesday, Lekota said the Congress of the People would abide by the Constitution and was committed to the policy of affirmative action.

However, Lekota also stated that affirmative action would not be implemented on the basis of race.

Said BLA president Andiswa Ndoni: "This statement exhibits a lack of understanding of the rationale behind employment equity and Broad-based Economic Empowerment policies.

"Both these policies were meant to enable black people to participate as equals within the corporate world and the economy."

He said anyone committed to giving effect to the Bill of Rights in the Constitution would realise that black people, including professionals, continued to be disadvantaged in the corporate world and in the economy as a whole.

"The figures released by the Employment Equity Commission annually speak for themselves. Any other basis than race is not workable because it is precisely because of past racial discrimination that the workplace did not reflect the demographics of the country."

Ndoni said the full and effective participation of black people in the economy could only be achieved through the acceleration of both these policies.

He said the BLA would consult with its members and other fraternal organisations in the new year on how best to respond to this "threat".

"COPE seems determined to reverse the few gains made by black people on account of these policies in order to attract white votes.

"This is short-sighted and out of step with the aspirations of black people and the equality provisions in the Constitution," said Ndoni. - Sapa

Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Confused South Africans ask COPE where E came from

http://www.hayibo.com/articles/view/933
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

J-oNE/Pat-B-Rick

• http://www.soundclick.com/J-oNERSA
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +17/-30
  • I got the coolest shower door in S.A
    • View Profile
    • Beatz for Africa
I dont trust these COP niggaz.
How do I know they trustworthy. All I see is Mbeki's friends taking advantage on Zuma and Malema's hate. They just opportunists in my eyes. I'd rather vote for the D.A.............. If I could vote :-\

SIR DEEJAY MZU

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +7/-15
    • View Profile
@Luvbyte.. its not just Zuma n hiz retarted son but every1 that speaks on behalf of ANC seems to have smoked whatever Malema smoked.. I get embarrased everytime an ANC member participates in any debate that involves COPE, its like they rest their brain cells while partaking in the debate..

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
How do I know they trustworthy. All I see is Mbeki's friends taking advantage on Zuma and Malema's hate. They just opportunists in my eyes. I'd rather vote for the D.A.............. If I could vote :-\

Why cant you vote?
@cash_sog

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile

Why cant you vote?

He's not 18 yet and he's one of those foreigners from Lesotho who come here to take our jobs.

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
Smh @ these counter-revolutionary comments

J-oNE/Pat-B-Rick

• http://www.soundclick.com/J-oNERSA
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +17/-30
  • I got the coolest shower door in S.A
    • View Profile
    • Beatz for Africa

Why cant you vote?

He's not 18 yet and he's one of those foreigners from Lesotho who come here to take our jobs.
Lol! DAMN RIGHT! And there aint shit else yall can do ;D.
Xenaphobia? Pshh! Please, I know what an elbow is in Zulu, Xhosa, shit even Afrikaans.
And I gotta Zulu name to top it off.

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
They call them 'General elections' rite? Well then, Holomisa be dat! :)
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

cash

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile