Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Mos Def @ Jazzfest in Cape Town

Jules Winnfield

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-2
  • Schizophrenic Tenant Number 1
    • View Profile
Plus that mother f***er ain't just a NYC Hip Hop head anymore, he a a-list Celebrity! Damn, he headlined over Maceo Parker for f*** sakes!

Its quite stupid to argue over the price, nothing will change that? Either you willing to go or not? WTF?

Plus there's a pretty dope line-up to boot! Zaki is worthwhile too?
When all this shit is over and done – I think you're gonna find yourself one smilin' motherf***er.

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
Plus that mother f***er ain't just a NYC Hip Hop head anymore, he a a-list Celebrity! Damn, he headlined over Maceo Parker for f*** sakes!

Its quite stupid to argue over the price, nothing will change that? Either you willing to go or not? WTF?

WOrd up.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
@D are you being serious when you say by doing research people might like music they otherwise figured was wack?

if you ask me, this Mos thing comes down to one thing. it has nothing to with him being 'next' and sa heads being a**backwards, its got to do with whether or not you think Mos can sing, whether or not you enjoy his music when hes singing. simple as that. its a cop out to a**ume that the only reason people might not like what he does is because theyre not 'ready'.  

People are saying they were disappointed because their expectations weren't met.

If people had researched (read a review, listened to the Glasper band the day before or online etc), they would have known what to expect and possibly avoided disappointment.

The same people that love Mos' singing on Travellin' Man are now hating on him for singing on his new shit - it doesn't make sense.

To say that Mos can't sing is like saying Capleton can't sing. It's not RnB or opera, it's a particular style of singing. Mos' voice carries a lot of emotion. Personally, I would listen to Mos sing over any RnB singer you care to mention (but I don't like RnB).

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
The swaartklip show was banging, got pictures and videos but don't know how to up the here.
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
@D are you being serious when you say by doing research people might like music they otherwise figured was wack?

if you ask me, this Mos thing comes down to one thing. it has nothing to with him being 'next' and sa heads being a**backwards, its got to do with whether or not you think Mos can sing, whether or not you enjoy his music when hes singing. simple as that. its a cop out to a**ume that the only reason people might not like what he does is because theyre not 'ready'.  

People are saying they were disappointed because their expectations weren't met.

If people had researched (read a review, listened to the Glasper band the day before or online etc), they would have known what to expect and possibly avoided disappointment.

The same people that love Mos' singing on Travellin' Man are now hating on him for singing on his new shit - it doesn't make sense.

To say that Mos can't sing is like saying Capleton can't sing. It's not RnB or opera, it's a particular style of singing. Mos' voice carries a lot of emotion. Personally, I would listen to Mos sing over any RnB singer you care to mention (but I don't like RnB).

I second that......Mos Def is an incredible singer.....he's gat a nice voice than most RnB cats.
I mean u can tell that he sings from his heart & soul.

My favourite are
Climb feat Vinia Mojica
Lifetime
Getto Steppin with Vinia Mojica
Mordel Marvel
The Beggar
The Panties

I think he's gat that same style as Mr Notch that dude from Born Jamericans...they kinda harmonize in the same way on tracks but Mr Notch is more reggae, while Mos Def is more rap

Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

Tonnes

• The Crafter
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-20
  • Liquid Veteran
    • View Profile
The swaartklip show was banging, got pictures and videos but don't know how to up the here.

Send me the pix.
Flexipanel...All Tings Proper

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile

Send me the pix.
Okay, you know I got you.
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
The issue here is not necessarily about the singing. The music was nothing spectacular. I believe he can pull of nice tunes with that band the same way they killed MC^2. as far as i remember thats the time when the crowd seemed to be more pleased than in any of the songs he performed and i bet you the majority of the people dont even know the MC^2 joint. it just sounded too great hence the crowd reaction.

I had no idea that mos is meant to be more of a singer than a rapper now and i hustled for tickets to hear him rap more than he sings. of course mos has a great sounding voice but the music was not good enough to satisfy me.

The band could have pulled the whole shit off even if they played the same popular and cla**ic mosdef songs. Man i even enjoyed Siphokazi's (not to be confused with Siphocashy lol) first few songs on her performance better than i enjoyed mosdef.

the whole excuse that its a jazz festival hence the singing is just not good enough. Pete Philly (only saw at the free concert though) did both singing and rapping and it was great! his band was just really dope but i hear their set was even better at the actual jazzfest on Friday.

another thing, mosdef's albums have never been great after black on both sides so theres no way i could have gone there hoping to hear most of the stuff from those albums. i bet you a lot of people went there with the same expectation i had but then again thats not a big issue, the issue is that the music didnt sound great! he bored me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:07:36 PM by Pastor Manning »

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
I hear u RR....as I said earlier on he didn't rock the show, but he was just average. Ppl who were at Kippies where Brah Hugh was performing, they say that Brah Hugh rocked the show.....they say he was doing ama-get down....at the age of 70 can u imagine that...???
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I think it just boiled down to the fact that you didn't like it... that's taste for you - everyone's is different.

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
I think it just boiled down to the fact that you didn't like it... that's taste for you - everyone's is different.

you might be right. i did consider that it could be just a matter of taste but at the same time i cant really say that with conviction since i listen a lot to that type of music but from other people. I have no doubt im my mind that if he would release a dope album where he is just singing, i'd look forward to hearing it live just i did with Zaki Ibrahim and Zap Mamma.

TATEguru v.2K9

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +13/-20
  • HIPHOCALYPSE MOVEment
    • View Profile
    • www.myspace.com/hiphocalypse
Its silly to complain about "singing" given the event.
Happy Raiko should have put some people on to the free Mitchell's Plain show tho.

I wasn't there. A dime who was loved it. She took these pics:

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile
Its silly to complain about "singing" given the event.

u cats r just not getting it. Mosdef has a nice voice no doubt but there was nothing musically great about what i was listening to hence i was longing so much for him to start rapping and preferably the hits that we know since what he has on albums after Black On Both Sides isnt impressive. anyway, why wouldnt one complain about the singing if he wasnt dong a great job with the music when you know he can do better if he rapped rather.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
I hear u RR....as I said earlier on he didn't rock the show, but he was just average. Ppl who were at Kippies where Brah Hugh was performing, they say that Brah Hugh rocked the show

only caught the last bit of his performance and he was rocking that "Thanai" track, damn wished I was there earlier.

fck Mos "love Supreme" Def
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"