Africasgateway.com

Mos Def @ Jazzfest in Cape Town

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
Love Supreme.....Love Supreme.....Love Supreme......
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
i don't get the confusion. what Rearranged is saying makes absolute sense to me. i really don't understand how anyone who holds Mos in high regard as a musician and a performer (whether he sings or raps) could have been flabbergasted by that performance - except if it's just that it was Mos and he was exercising his 'artistic freedom'.

the people i came across didn't simply lapse into hating the show because Mos wouldn't rap, but they got bored first (essentially it was a mediocre performance for that type of music) before they drew that conclusion. then they had time to think and wish that he could reach their expectations of what he can do (musically) on stage by going back to the familiar material which had won him their high regard to begin with. because as charismatic as he might be, the damn thing was really subpar and boring. only Superb has even mentioned something that stood out for him (oh and someone mentioned a J Dilla cover) - the "Love Supreme" chanting. if it was really that phenomenal wouldn't a whole lot of us be talking about memorable moments? how he surprised instead of bored and dissapointed?

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
Mos Def is not just an artist his great musician no doubt about that, and we don’t except him to be dope on each and every performance, but on Sat he was very average. I mean we don’t except him to have the same kinda feel or energy he had with Black Star or on Black on Both Sides. Mina personally I feel that he could have gotten away with it if his track selection was good, tracks that ppl know him of, I don’t agree with the saying that it was alright for him not to perform his common hits/cla**ics. I believe that if u an artist performing to the crowd that u have never performed in front of before, u Mos Definitely need to perform your album hits/cla**ics. Masta Ace when he was here, he took us back to the days of Juice Crew hits, Sittin on Chrome album hits….up until current material… joints. He should have done it the same way as he did his performance on Dave Chappelle’s block party.

Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
if it was really that phenomenal wouldn't a whole lot of us be talking about memorable moments?

exactly. it was a disappointing show. hopefully the jhb show sucks just as much. just to keep things fair   :-[
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
if it was really that phenomenal wouldn't a whole lot of us be talking about memorable moments?

exactly. it was a disappointing show. hopefully the jhb show sucks just as much. just to keep things fair   :-[

hahahahahahahaha................oh my god
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys

motley

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +3/-0
    • View Profile
I regret having sacrificed Hugh Masekela for that nonsense. Mosdef was not entertaining period!!!