Africasgateway.com

Swagger jacked....

Nar8iv · 11 · 3313

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
Was Kanye on production of that swagger like us joint?
If so ...

Is it now acceptable to jack a voice over less than a year from when it was released?
...and then to shut the artist M.I.A up nicely by just offering her the spot to perform with them and sing the hook.
Ja, she probably would'nt have had that opportunity...but where is the line drawn?

I think Jim Jones might also have made a beef track based on this track of jigga, knaye , little wayne etc.

Plus , Was it my imaginnation or was T.I 'S contribution the most respectable on that track?

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Is it now acceptable to jack a voice over less than a year from when it was released?
...and then to shut the artist M.I.A up nicely by just offering her the spot to perform with them and sing the hook.
Ja, she probably would'nt have had that opportunity...but where is the line drawn?

hmm...i guess you're also behind James Brown going after Eric B. and Rakim? sampling is one of the most creative, progressive and utilitarian aspects of hip-hop - there should be no line to cross, if you ask me.

you might as well tell writers to say away from public transit and rappers to have their own beats on mixtapes.

kanye made a dope joint that M.I.A co-signed and added to - and we don't know for a fact that she didn't get a cut (if you're talking about the money).

he's done the same thing with "Brooklyn Go Hard", the only difference being that Santagold gets a "feature-mention".

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
oh no, hardly.
i acknowledge the importance of sampling in the hip-hop culture.
in fact, if i were gonna be that silly the whole site would be filled by long-long the list of samples to criticize.

My point is ....
How soon afterwards should a track be allowed to enjoy it's shine before vultures come along and just do as they please.
If Kanye's creativity is all it's made out to be ...you wanna tell me he couldnt have dug in to the vast archive of other beats already available to patch something together. (like "finding forever" on the album by the same name for instance.

Or is it acceptable because it's Kanye West, backed by Jigga's clout.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
who says you have to wait for a song to gather dust before you sample it? i think it's pretty cool that both tracks ended up in rotation and each kept their appeal for completely different reasons (vultures?).

at its best, this creates a creative conversation between the works of artists, and sheds a new light on collaboration. going from sample to live performance is dope! 

you sound like you like M.I.A and hate Kanye? why is he a vulture and what does Jay-Z have to do with this?

by the way, what do you think of Jaydiohead?

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
it helped M.I.A else she would've been confined to the UK... through that song she been able to go mainstream...

sort like how eminem helped  Dido get exposure outside of the UK

its good looks for both of 'em sorta like a short symbiotic relation
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

Pretty Boy

• The Pretty Boy Club
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +0/-6
  • Ladies Love Pretty Boy
    • View Profile
When has anyone ever mentioned that there should be a time period for sampling? I guess the only reason why old skool tracks are sampled is coz its easier to jack (and i a**ume much cheaper to clear)...
like there is this new track out called mind on my money, where they sample Rihanna verse on live your life

First study the ten commandments on how to have swag before you even think of addressing me.

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
it helped M.I.A else she would've been confined to the UK...

it sure as heck thrust her into the limelight agreed, but didnt she make the transition to the USA before this?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Point taken Mr Panic.
I guess she must've gained something from this in terms of being whisepered (if only at the very end of the sentence ) in the same breath as YE or Jay-Z.

I dont particulary like M.I.A .....her flow on that track irritates the crap out of me.
Purely from an artistic perspective....

There are surely other avenues for Kanye to exhaust?
I dont know if you make beats or how you create?
Would you be happy if the same happened to you?

Sure you would have your ( how many seconds of fame is it nowadays?) ...and then you would slip back into being unrecognized (with all due respect) little you.
So let's see how much mileage she gets out of this...
What about the integrity of the actual creation as it stands on its own.

Oh , what does this have to do with Jigga?
Jigga can throw money at anything so that should be sufficient to shut this little limey girl up - you know what I mean....
let's not start any rumours about jacking biggie's swagger ( whole different thread)

I havent heard the Jaydiohead?
Is it good or is it just a mish-mash of existing meterial like collision course.
(I expected a lot more from a meeting of the likes of linkin Park and the man who calls himself GOD )I mean , c'mon , two impressive artists/ acts like that and all you can palm off on the only-too-willing consumer is a re-hash of your old meterial?

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
it has to do with the longevity of any particiular creative statement.
we know that in these times there's such a flood of creative media that there are hardly spaces to build cla**ics.
its more disposable.
so , how much space or time is a creative statement allowed to stand independantly and speak for itself before it is a**imilated as part of "THE BORG" (LOL)

That's what i'm nagging about (rotflmao)

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
i don't know, man. it seems to me peeps like Kanye, M.I.A, Kid Sister and Santagold all make music that appeals to the same (predominately hipster) crowd. people who go for one are likely to go for the other. so i don't see this as Kanye exhausting her artistic resources as much as it's him pushing her to the type of hip-hop crowd that'll check for her - and him. of late Kanye's name is hardly synonymous with Jay-Z-like rap music.

that's why Jay-Z (the supposed big guy) pushed his album back and is featuring Santagold. this is the direction hip-hop seems to be taking. check out Kid Cudi's "Day 'N Night" (the single not the original track) - that shit is hardly hip-hop in the traditional sense. look at Mickey Factz' "Pick up the Ba**" - same shit. the point is that M.I.A is not the little person here trying to capture 15 minutes by being close to Yeezy or Jay, but she's part of a collection of artists that are being marked as the next wave in urban music. Yeezy is helping Jay to crossover to M.I.A's field so to speak. and at the same time he's giving her a heads up - showing the more traditional breed of head that it's cool to get down to her, to 808's and Heartbreak, to electro-hop, to the weird 80's revivalism of The Cool Kids, to the type of stuff being produced by Da Internz etc.

that's how i see this 'collaboration'. as a kind of statement for the 'new skool' which happens to include both Kanye and M.I.A, as opposed to swagga-jacking or an attempt to latch onto Jay's dwindling prowess.

and there's no time!

we've entered a different era where everything is at hyper-speed and most times, disposable. this is a fact. the urban music crowd has changed. kids (the targets) don't value cla**ics, they value what's hot and different. this is not inherently bad - the competitive spirit can lead to very creative and  lateral thinking. the only problem is that it won't be long before someone improves on something you've done, and you become obsolete or reduced to a niche if you don't keep it moving.

but the irony is that the niche is becoming the mainstream! and soon there'll need to be something else that's different and it'll go on and on and on...

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
i don't know, man. it seems to me peeps like Kanye, M.I.A, Kid Sister and Santagold all make music that appeals to the same (predominately hipster) crowd. people who go for one are likely to go for the other. so i don't see this as Kanye exhausting her artistic resources as much as it's him pushing her to the type of hip-hop crowd that'll check for her - and him. of late Kanye's name is hardly synonymous with Jay-Z-like rap music.

that's why Jay-Z (the supposed big guy) pushed his album back and is featuring Santagold. this is the direction hip-hop seems to be taking. check out Kid Cudi's "Day 'N Night" (the single not the original track) - that shit is hardly hip-hop in the traditional sense. look at Mickey Factz' "Pick up the Ba**" - same shit. the point is that M.I.A is not the little person here trying to capture 15 minutes by being close to Yeezy or Jay, but she's part of a collection of artists that are being marked as the next wave in urban music. Yeezy is helping Jay to crossover to M.I.A's field so to speak. and at the same time he's giving her a heads up - showing the more traditional breed of head that it's cool to get down to her, to 808's and Heartbreak, to electro-hop, to the weird 80's revivalism of The Cool Kids, to the type of stuff being produced by Da Internz etc.

that's how i see this 'collaboration'. as a kind of statement for the 'new skool' which happens to include both Kanye and M.I.A, as opposed to swagga-jacking or an attempt to latch onto Jay's dwindling prowess.

and there's no time!

we've entered a different era where everything is at hyper-speed and most times, disposable. this is a fact. the urban music crowd has changed. kids (the targets) don't value cla**ics, they value what's hot and different. this is not inherently bad - the competitive spirit can lead to very creative and  lateral thinking. the only problem is that it won't be long before someone improves on something you've done, and you become obsolete or reduced to a niche if you don't keep it moving.

but the irony is that the niche is becoming the mainstream! and soon there'll need to be something else that's different and it'll go on and on and on...

Cosign it all.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
that settles it then.