Record Collections

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo

Immensely embarra**ed of mine after seeing this :-[ Anyone got three million to spare? I'll pay you back.. Promise.

Think Pete Rock has about 90 thousand.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:39:43 PM by Omero's Daddy »
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
man that is sad, I am one of the few people I know that still by records, I download stuff too, I download what I've already bought, or I download something to give it a listen, and if it is dope, I go out and get it, I used to get a lot of promos in the mail, white labels and all, now the record pool has been replaced by an email drop with the latest T-Pain bullshit song for me to play in a club, I've had people of this generation now, come to my house who have never seen or heard a record player, and it's just sad man, these young kids think they are so entitled, they don't wanna pay for shit, download everything from movies to music, it's as if they feel it is owed to them. The only thing these kids wanna pay for is clothes, drugs and video games.

When I was growing up the record store was the place to be, I have very fond memories of growing up in Cologne, frequenting Groove attack almost on a daily basis, the fun we had when a new shipment came in, was amazing, every monday and tuesday the best DJ's in town would poor in to dig up the newest 12"s and bring home the occasional LP.

One of my favorite thing to do, when traveling is to look for records, it tells me a lot about the people from the area and what they listen to, especially at flea markets or at thrift stores.

Few in this generation have shared these kind of experiences, and with generations to come even fewer will. It was a communal thing and in my opinion a profound cultural experience. It is sad to see places like Beat Street in Brooklyn or Ear Wax in Atlanta close. These places have been there for years, providing the music of the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. They have been staples of our musical heritage, and it is sad to see them wither away, the game is messed up big time, contrary to belief the turntable plays a central role in the culture, hip hop was born from two turntables.

At this point I wanna shout out all the real crate diggers that I have meet in record stores around the world: Bobbito, Spinna, Rich Medina, Evil Dee, DJ Eclipse, DJ Premier and Blaze at Cornerstone, Dave West, Lord Yatta, Cory Williams, DJ Jamad, Apple Jac, Presto, Rob Wonder, Steve Dinero, Curtis up at WRAS, Don Tonic, DJ Edzon (Fat Beats Amsterdam), DJ Turne, TLM, DJ Cream, Maz, Lucky, Mirko Machine, DJ Boogie, Ironive, DJ Deckstar, Marc Hype, Raiko, Kenzhero, Kut-L, Adlib, Tre, Dariusch, everyone at Carpet bombing, Red Alert, Chuck Chillout, D-Nice, Kurt Hustle, Puetz, all the heads at More Dusty Than Digital, Groove Attack, Dumpsterdive Records, Spytek, DJ Synthesis, Cea-3, Kid Fresh, Rasgunyado, Rafik, Diggin In The Crates Crew, and everyone I forgot... keep diggin'!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:18:44 PM by watziznehmegin »

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
So i take it you dont have that three million for me?

But seriously, i agree with you one hundred percent. I'm hoping to double my collection by the end of the year. Already copped a hundred records this month. Been visiting all sorts of places.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
That's dope! I would LOVE to go digging out there!! What kind of records you find out there?

tHIR[13]tEen

• The dude you've never met
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +6/-3
  • I'm really into Kwaito, Hip Hop is just a foot in the door...
    • View Profile
    • Press Play Music
Its a sad fact what is happening to the very art that made hip hop. People look at me funny when im walkin out a store holdin a Gloria Gaynor or Sergio Mendez record. Im thinkin to myself, if you only knew. Dispite all that, I AM FOREVER A CRATE DIGGER!!
I, myself cannot make beats so i sell you those of others. It's a fair trade

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Depends where you look. In Pretoria it ranges from the folk Afrikaans joints to heavy traditonal jazz. Funny enough there are a lot of eastern European records out here. The last 50 i bought were all local, got my hands on some ol school Marc Alex records which were phat. Took me back to my child hood. Also got a couple Mercy Pakela records. "Ayatshisa amateki this is not my size" ;)

But yeah, there is quite a wide variety. I've also stumbled across a couple rare soul and funk records over time.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:37:59 PM by Omero's Daddy »

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
That's dope, Atlanta is great for digging, there are a lot of hidden jewels scattered in the city, some record stores have managed to stay alive, with a lot of regulars like Full Moon or Wax n Facts, but most of them are closing, it's sad, I would love to come dig around out there, I'm sure there are a lot of good records out there,..

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
lol video games, drugs n booze also! was it last year or year b4 last, when i wrote abt sad Grand Master Flash interview, n wich car he drives?                        k he won um hip hop honour medal but, wats the use? frm wat iv leant, ppl aint gotta work on the music side alone just 2 make mulla, i think we all knw the sad story of ma brrr by the time death approached, what went down...                          but the bottom-line is, it duznt mean when an artist sells millions of records, then ornamediclly they rich! theyve bn ripped-off by record labels                      well me i love music but i neva bought any wax in ma entire life! maybe thats because i havnt seen any of those dope wax frm where Iv been, but non-the-less if ur shit is on point, then I do buy it, altho Im nt in2 placin orda of specific albums. my hunger wont let me 2 orda a sport car n get home without hearin that va-va-vrrrrmmm!                       @ Mark:I was suppoze 2 post u Dj Bionic n Dj Blaze 2day, But I 4Got the disk @ home. dnt stress tho, i will very soon.
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof

I think Jazzy J has large number of records than Pete Rock. I'm excited to see  fellow brothers, who are as conscious as I am about this Record Collections. To be quite honest I have a very small number of records...I think 2000 if I'm not mistaken...The cats who inspired me about this record diggin is/was Omero's Daddy & Pete Rock.

There's some record dealers here in CTN who sell dope dope shit.....Mabu Vinyl and Revolution Records they gat great collection....There was a time where I wanted to go to JHB or PTA to collect records, and then it came to mind that...Nyambz and them cats probably finished the stuff up there.....!!!

I got hold of Margaret Singana, Marc Alex and some Brenda Fa**ie stuff too....but I want stuff....prior yrs of that stuff...like 70's...i think 70's stuff in every corner of the world is good....

Philadelphia Sound was mad ill in 70s', Detroit was dope is 70's, LA was cracking in 70's...any 70's stuff....I know it gonna sound good.
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Hahahaha. I'm glad i inspired you to dig. Aint nuthing like hearing the static off a record. I definitely want to got and dig in the Cape. Bloem has probably been the worst place for me to dig.

Went digging this morning, scooped up about twenty records

Malcom E.K.K.S

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-4
  • By any means necessary
    • View Profile
^^Damn, am Nving u so much right there Nyambz. wish i had the time and the loot to do the digging. Will get there eventually, seen some lodges and chill spots here in Lsk were records are used as wall paper, thats a starter, with clever clepto skills i shud be able to challenge u r collection by year end,lol...

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
yeah this is sumtng i havent done in aeons....
iv had crazy luck in pawn shops. haha kats sell em pretty cheap
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
The cash converters close to my crib also has a lot of records for cheap. The local hospice also has a lot of records for R2 a pop but its mainly afrikaans stuff.

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
i got a stash of about 200 records somewhere. i just need to get my equipment
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
i dnt see myself touching an afrikaans record. hahaha...

i missd out on a coupla indian funk records back in durbs..sigh
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101