Africasgateway.com

maggz

Myth · 121 · 41035

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
I think Maggz needed a few Sean pages beats them soulful yet gangsta shits

I think all the Maggz joints I have liked in the [past were produced by Sean Pages. one was on the Mbizo mixtape , one on morale's mixtape. Sean pages / Hipe / Omen would have been good for him. Bonz is too dope though, but he did not not give much variety as he can. I know that Bongz is probably one of the most versatile producers in the mothalnd, but it doesnt show on this here album.

Bobby Banks

• The Fathers Son
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-14
    • View Profile
that beat for haterz is really something.
iv got a fire in my heart and your critism fans it!

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Ben Sharpa sounds American.

hmm...i'd say dude sounds more 'larney' than American.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Ben Sharpa sounds American.

hmm...i'd say dude sounds more 'larney' than American.

Ironic that you think someone who spent most of his life in the US sounds less American than some of our local 'Americans' who've never left SA :)

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
i know you wanted to drive that point, D, but i really didn't say that shit. :)

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i know you wanted to drive that point, D, but i really didn't say that shit. :)

hahah,, so sue me :)

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
so what are you saying, D? that Maggz is dope or wack? he's bringing it or he needs more people? and he sounds way the f*** more American than Ben Sharpa. :)

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
so what are you saying, D? that Maggz is dope or wack? he's bringing it or he needs more people? and he sounds way the f*** more American than Ben Sharpa. :)

I've said it all above. I think Maggz is a talented artist. However, I think his album is slightly disappointing for the reasons I mentioned above.

I wonder who our most American-sounding rapper in SA is? :)

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
i don't know. our mainstream hip hop has never been this close to stuff that's being produced in the 'mecca' that is America. it leads me to wonder what the next step will be - say five or six years from now - will we still be taking all our cues from the states, or by then will we have established the confidence to take bolder (albeit mainstream) risks? - or will we (like it could be argued now) be producing simultaneously and in sync with America and Europe a globalized hip hop?

the time lapse it usually takes for trends to precipitate down to our corner of the world has been considerably shortened by the internet - what cats are doing now is a direct result of this. even Ben Sharpa's work with Milanese takes it's cues from the electro-hop, ba**-rap party bunch big in America and Europe at the moment.

ProVerb

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-22
  • Write of Pa**age Out May 18th!!!
    • View Profile
    • ProVerb Music

I've said it all above. I think Maggz is a talented artist. However, I think his album is slightly disappointing for the reasons I mentioned above.

That'll make a for an interesting topic, I don't mind an accent on an mc it's when they use too much ebonyx or slang that it really sounds like overkill.
Write of Pa**age out Now!!!

eraze

• Capture...
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-11
  • www.ethankaed.com
    • View Profile
    • this is hiphop

That'll make a for an interesting topic, I don't mind an accent on an mc it's when they use too much ebonyx or slang that it really sounds like overkill.

yes, its funny Mr Canibus oh sorry, Proverb....its funny u say that, coz if u ask me, u is a prime example of SA rapper with an Accent for days.....

ps. atleast Maggz aint biting off Canibus the rhyming tarantula....
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:59:14 PM by BILLION GATES - MACROFLOWS »

Malcom E.K.K.S

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +2/-4
  • By any means necessary
    • View Profile
^^^^ Bwahahahaha.... Post dat in the ether award thread...Damn!!!!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
i don't know. our mainstream hip hop has never been this close to stuff that's being produced in the 'mecca' that is America. it leads me to wonder what the next step will be - say five or six years from now - will we still be taking all our cues from the states, or by then will we have established the confidence to take bolder (albeit mainstream) risks? - or will we (like it could be argued now) be producing simultaneously and in sync with America and Europe a globalized hip hop?

the time lapse it usually takes for trends to precipitate down to our corner of the world has been considerably shortened by the internet - what cats are doing now is a direct result of this. even Ben Sharpa's work with Milanese takes it's cues from the electro-hop, ba**-rap party bunch big in America and Europe at the moment.

the difference is that Milanese is a recognised originator of that style.

The reason Ben is getting great reviews from European media and getting booked at festivals all over the world is because he is at forefront of a movement - not because he is mimicking current pop trends.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:48:09 PM by Dpleezy »

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
it would be real funny if this turned into "who's the most American sounding rapper in SA" Joke, i tell you.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

the difference is that Milanese is a recognised originator of that style.

The reason Ben is getting great reviews from European media and getting booked at festivals all over the world is because he is at forefront of a movement - not because he is mimicking current pop trends.

man, i was hoping this would be the point you'd give the least attention to. i mean i know about Milanese and Ben Sharpa is dope (though i'm not sure what movement you're referring to?), but what do you think of mimickry moving onto simultaneous production - Bongz and them playing equally in the field of global mainstream hip hop? i mean we can't say that these cats are completely devoid of a South African context (they refrence that shit throughout), and the mainstream anyway, has never been known for innovation. it's not just South Africans (or Africans actually) that bite these styles but it's a global thing that happens even in America (everyone bit T-Pain; the continent didn't just simultaneously come up with that shit). 

Milanese might be an innovator, but Playdoe's doing their thing here in SA and there's a lot of other guys with the same style popping up in America and Europe. is that mimickry?

what i'm asking is that now that we're doing what they're doing at more or less the same time, is it possible that sometime in the future, SA might set its own trends in globalized mainstream hip hop?

i mean it almost goes without saying that these cats (Bongz, Maggz etc.) would have blown up if they were from the states.