Africasgateway.com

maggz

Myth · 121 · 41038

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
D I neva knew you and Crazy lu talked, I think the American sounding thing is played out 4real, so you telling me the rappers from DRC, Senegal, Gabon are trying to be french?
9 tha Pedigree

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
D I neva knew you and Crazy lu talked, I think the American sounding thing is played out 4real, so you telling me the rappers from DRC, Senegal, Gabon are trying to be french?

I would expect rappers from Francophone countries to speak French or to have a French accent, but I haven't mentioned accents once in this thread. What's your point?

I haven't worked with Koli or Maggz, but I'm giving them props. I've even given Cash props on here (despite our supposed differences and my 'hatred' of anything not made by Sharpa).

I never claimed Rattex invented Spaza, but please feel free to rest your case Gert.

SA swag rappers with American accents are always going to have a hard time in SA because they are competing with Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne and T.I. When a local cat says his wrists stay 'icy', everyone knows they didn't really spend R500,000 on their jewelry. If I wanna listen to a rapper talk about his possessions (which I do sometimes), I wanna know that he really has the mansion, the ferraris, the chinchillas and all that. If it's a straight swag battle, no local cat can touch the big guns in the US. We can compete in other areas though - lyrical skill, creativity, originality and south african-ness.

The main point of my involvement on this thread was to discuss whether or not Maggz's album lives up to my expectations of him (which it doesn't for the reasons mentioned before). I'll still check for anything he does in the future though, because he's talented.

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +19/-16
    • View Profile
Whoa! this is quite a read! keep it goin y'all
"How can I stay anonymous, when it's my job to be famous?"

Alcohol Abuser

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +13/-14
    • View Profile

I would expect rappers from Francophone countries to speak French or to have a French accent, but I haven't mentioned accents once in this thread. What's your point?

I haven't worked with Koli or Maggz, but I'm giving them props. I've even given Cash props on here (despite our supposed differences and my 'hatred' of anything not made by Sharpa).

I never claimed Rattex invented Spaza, but please feel free to rest your case Gert.

SA swag rappers with American accents are always going to have a hard time in SA because they are competing with Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne and T.I. When a local cat says his wrists stay 'icy', everyone knows they didn't really spend R500,000 on their jewelry. If I wanna listen to a rapper talk about his possessions (which I do sometimes), I wanna know that he really has the mansion, the ferraris, the chinchillas and all that. If it's a straight swag battle, no local cat can touch the big guns in the US. We can compete in other areas though - lyrical skill, creativity, originality and south african-ness.

The main point of my involvement on this thread was to discuss whether or not Maggz's album lives up to my expectations of him (which it doesn't for the reasons mentioned before). I'll still check for anything he does in the future though, because he's talented.

Then he's not original as there has been other peeps from the Cape who done did spaza before him, anyway seeing that you're catching feelings now I'ma shut the fcuk up. Peace! and I've already signed the ceasefire in case you might have mistook this for an attack on u.
"Let them toxins in this liquor, squeeze the life outta this poor liver of mine " AA

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
I dont mean to sound racist or anything but im gonna side with the white man on this one.

On the real though, you all have reasonable arguments. the whole thing about accents is just a big fuss. if someone sounds like they trying hard to pull an american accent usually ends up sounding ridiculous. if you have an american accent for some reason because you lived in the states or you just adopted it through being exposed to too much american culture shouldnt be a big deal really. For as long as you're in Hip-Hop and you're not american chances are you're contradicting yourself criticising people on their accents because at some point you would find yourself saying something sounding american maybe deliberately or accidentaly. Prokid is another example of people who i've found saying a lot of negetive things about the american sounding cats but yet its strange hearing that from him when he is a**ociated with someone like Maggz.

I must admit im annoyed a lot of times by peoples fake american accent but i try not to have that influence much about what i think about their personality but in this case their music. if it happens to sound good on record then thats great. e.g. Proverbs music sound good on record but the accents is kind of annoying when he speaks.

Msanii_XL

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-4
  • Africa Dreaming....
    • View Profile
    • http://beneathdasurface.com/
I dont mean to sound racist or anything but im gonna side with the white man on this one.

Uncle ruckus!! >:( :( ;D :D :D
BNTS
Listening to
Curren$Y- The Jet files...
Meyer Hawthorne-Strange arrangement
Washed outLife of leisure

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
^^ hahaha...the double RR busted...
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
If i was Dplatts arguing with these cats on this thread,i would just say "im the expert here coz im selling thousands  of records that makes me an expert, ARE YOU SELLING RECORDS? ", I didnt know Planetary a**ault mixtape sold more records than Da les's album.Correct me if im wrong The last time i checked P.A mixtape sold +4000 units wheres Da Les is at +-1500 units. Maggz is overrated hes a good rapper thats it niggaz need to stop hyping this cat so much like hes gonna be the next big thing. With so much fierce  competition  uknown rappers dropping  dope mixtapes in the US,If Maggz  was in the states i think no one will even pay attention to him.

Myth

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-16
    • View Profile
If i was Dplatts arguing with these cats on this thread,i would just say "im the expert here coz im selling thousands  of records that makes me an expert, ARE YOU SELLING RECORDS? ", I didnt know Planetary a**ault mixtape sold more records than Da les's album.Correct me if im wrong The last time i checked P.A mixtape sold +4000 units wheres Da Les is at +-1500 units. Maggz is overrated hes a good rapper thats it niggaz need to stop hyping this cat so much like hes gonna be the next big thing. With so much fierce  competition  uknown rappers dropping  dope mixtapes in the US,If Maggz  was in the states i think no one will even pay attention to him.

and your point is?
its possible to take the art of making music seriously without taking yourself seriously

www.myspace.com/mythbeats101

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Maggz is overrated hes a good rapper thats it niggaz need to stop hyping this cat so much like hes gonna be the next big thing.

My thoughts exactly.
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

K9 tha Pedigree

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +11/-2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.google.com
@ D there are different french accents for your info, iv been working with alot of french rappers i wont mention names yet, and they say iv got a foreign french accent, it aint what they used to.

And as harsh as that statement sounds I do agree that if Maggz was in the USA nobody would give a f***, but I hear through the grapevine that Fa**ie records are doin a mixtape with DJ drama big up to them on that, so maybe Maggz will get noticed in the States
9 tha Pedigree

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
Maggz is overrated hes a good rapper thats it niggaz need to stop hyping this cat so much like hes gonna be the next big thing.

My thoughts exactly.

I think maggz represents j-sect for a lot of people! he manages to have the 'swagga jackers', the 'headz' and the ordinary metropolitan on lock coz he's been able to build those bases ova time!
joburg has been waiting for a maggz to represent them on that scale.. so now the excitement from j-sect spill's ova quite easily coz then u have the likes of us (workforce i.e<not from joburg but live there>).. next thing the whole country's up on maggz! hype!!! (no mag) :)
he's dope! yeah! but he's no jesus... time always tells my nigga'z. lets wait and see.. goodluck to homie tho!

SUPER RUTHLESS

• SOUTH OF A
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +24/-20
  • New South Movement
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Men Entertainment
WTF is wrong wit u people, cant u just give a nucca time to do is thing.. Maggz is dope and there is no denying that, and hes from JHB so he reps S.A so y all the talk bout "if he was in the States"? we just gotta be proud that our artists are tryna break into the international market, isnt that everyones dream?

Koli qha

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
WTF is wrong wit u people, cant u just give a nucca time to do is thing.. Maggz is dope and there is no denying that, and hes from JHB so he reps S.A so y all the talk bout "if he was in the States"? we just gotta be proud that our artists are tryna break into the international market, isnt that everyones dream?

co-sign

Mprofeti the Radical Process

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +3/-13
    • View Profile

I think all SA cats have a little bit of America (accent,lyrics,style) in them (well some have more than others)....We all have been influenced by someone and something to start rapping......so traces of ur influence will always show in ur music and there is nothing wrong with that........I feel that we should just let Maggz be, and start looking at the positives of our artists instead of always critisizing....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:51:55 AM by Mprofeti the Radical Process »
Freedom is only a state of mind....