Africasgateway.com

SAMA Nominees 2009

Dpleezy · 75 · 19199

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
Be honest with yourself D, Sharpa's pre-album hype was big but things became quiet after he released. Where are his music videos,  radio singles? No use complaining when your artist didn't make as much impact as the nominees. What could you possibly be complaining about? Everytime Kaptain's name comes up, you bring up the word 'Europe'. It's almost as if you're not interested in marketing him in SA. I reckon you're partly to blame for Sharpa not being as big in SA. Dude is talented and if you can just market him better (in this country) then maybe he might make a bigger impact in SA. You've clearly got the resources, do a better job at marketing Sharpa in SA.       

solid opinion!
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
As a Sharpa stan I must object!  ;D

Interesting opinions. D?
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Im sure there is a judging guideline as to how the winner is picked or whatever!

I'd like to know what that is,,, that's all I'm saying.

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
Be honest with yourself D, Sharpa's pre-album hype was big but things became quiet after he released. Where are his music videos,  radio singles? No use complaining when your artist didn't make as much impact as the nominees. What could you possibly be complaining about? Everytime Kaptain's name comes up, you bring up the word 'Europe'. It's almost as if you're not interested in marketing him in SA. I reckon you're partly to blame for Sharpa not being as big in SA. Dude is talented and if you can just market him better (in this country) then maybe he might make a bigger impact in SA. You've clearly got the resources, do a better job at marketing Sharpa in SA.       

solid opinion!

I co-sign!

You couldnt have said it better!

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

What is the point of having SAMA judges if all they do is nominate artists who have 'created a buzz' on the radio? We can do away with judges and just go to sales figures or radio play lists.

We have submitted Sharpa's album to all the radio stations. We have submitted videos for Hegemony and 5ive Fingers to all the relevant places. He has been featured in numerous magazines and been on various tv

Of course we can always do a better job at marketing, but awards should not be about who is the best marketed artist. What about talent, creativity, originality, music production, lyrical content, delivery etc? If you honestly believe that Sharpa doesn't belong amongst the other nominees, fair enough. At the end of the day it's all down to opinion anyway.

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
I don't think they use the same criteria on all caregories.I also don't think there's actually a blueprint to say you have to look @ this and that,it's probably more up to the panel of judges in terms of who they choose to nominate and they might all have different reasons.

If you look @ jazz for example, most of those cats don't get much airplay on radio and TV anyway,so with that category specifically i think they judge the actual quality of the product. They got some old topies over there, saying, hmmmm, Jimmy Dludlu really came thru on this one,let's nominate him.

With us it's a whole different story.I think locally hip-hop is starting to be perceived as "mainstream" due to it's popularity with the youth as of late and just the impact it's had a cross the globe. So there the panel will obviously be more inclined to nominate artists which they feel are popular or more in the spotlight, instead of really judging the actual release itself.

Either way, no one will ever know how they do these things.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
The only awards which are entirely 100% unbiased and fair (being as they are voted for by the public every year) can be found right here:

http://2020.mypodcast.com/200812_archive.html
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

SolitaryNative

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-4
  • Feature now Defunct
    • View Profile
"Radio Buzz" is definitely only a marker (IN A LOT OF CASES) of how well your manager knows or sucks the appendages of the DJ, programmer, station head etc. f*** all to do w your music.  I doubt the SAMAs are very different. Call me cynical.

dat dude who happens to rap!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-12
    • View Profile
@ D

You are right it does go to opinion

Like the same way I feel Pro Deserved the Lyrist of the year award! and everyone felt it should have gone to other artists! Music is about doing you and enjoying that you do! How do we judge content? Or lyrics? Is it cause you used a high level of english to mine that makes you better?

You said you submitted music to various radio stations but did you have a look at there listenership and what is playlisted most commonly on there station? Dont think radio stations turn you away cause you didnt pay anyone! its simple Does the music you submit appeal to the audiance, take for example zubz he never got spin on 5fm with his first two projects but the new single from his 3rd album has appealed to the listeners and he is on heay rotation.

ask yourself does your content fit my program?

Sosiba

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
  • Madzikane kaZulu.
    • View Profile
I agree with D when he says that there's no need for judges if the awards are based on popularity.

Just would like to tell you something:

During Orientation week at Wits there was a Hip Hop show organised by the SRC which had Slikour, Shugasmakx, Jozi and Tuks. i didn't go to the show coz the line up was not interesting to me but a friend of mine who's not a Hip Hop head went there and he told me when he came back that he could have counted the number of people there and they would not exceed 30!!! :o

My analysis of this was that had they orginised Thabz, Sharpa or any "underground" (used in the general sense) artist there could have been more attendance. The "mainstream" artists appeal to house and other genres listeners who don't really like them. But "undeground" artists have cult followings, I went to the Sharpa launch at Carfax even though I had an exam the next day, I would kill to see Thabz, Sharpa, The federation, Driemanskaap to a** kiss a few ;D on stage which is why I go to Back to the city. And i know plenty of people who would do that here as well...

But there SRC and the sama whatevers do the mistake of thinking that someone played on Radio (which may be due to contacts and nothing more) is worthy an award.

Now if we were to have Urban Fashion awards Amakip kip would take it hands down if they would be based on popularity even though in terms of creativity brands like Ididit, Butan wear are way better. Perhaps Da les is more known than Sharpa but any judge (attributing to this word the most suitable sense) would see that Sharpa is more of an artist.

The problem is that most people especially those who listen to radio are forcefed their musical taste so their decision is not fully a conscious one, that's why we need judges, to look beyond this.

Yo thixo andaxela, ndawanqa :-[
"Why was the worker shot? Because he protested... Why was the negro shot? Because he was there. This is the gratuitous (without cause) violence against Black people that so called pure marxist can't comprehend" Frank Wilderson.

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
im more concerned about the kind of cash that these so called sick rappers, ie bem sharpa, snazz d etc, make

u seem to ideolize these dudes very more frequently, its like they your lving gods or something

i have a feeling they ride in botsotso's if lucky or in isuzu bakkies
Hood.

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
they might be more doper than pro kid or da les on the cypher confabulation but there aint no way possible in this planet that they can stack the kind of money those dudes get, les n pro stack cash in substantial amounts ten times those dudes, so they are just a waste
Hood.

watziznehmegin

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +15/-15
  • Clockwork Orange
    • View Profile
    • Discogs
Man it sounds like some industry bullshit reason why sharpa not on that list, anyway...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:38:40 PM by watziznehmegin »

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
they might be more doper than pro kid or da les on the cypher confabulation but there aint no way possible in this planet that they can stack the kind of money those dudes get, les n pro stack cash in substantial amounts ten times those dudes, so they are just a waste

what makes you think Da LES in making money? Have you spoken to his accountant? Have you analysed his bank statements? Have you checked his income tax returns? You are a**uming he's making money because you see him in a video driving a rented Mini Cooper. Didn't anyone ever tell you not to believe everything you see on tv?

I hear Les actually comes from money, which I have no problem with - good looks for him, but how much is he actually generating? You don't know. I don't know. It's pure speculation. What's it got to do with music awards anyway?

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
man f*** Da LESbian™ and f*** this whole so called hip hop industry in sa... it's time for change... lick deez obama nuts :P

the only talented motherf***er nominated is chad saaiman... the rest should shut the f*** up  :-*