Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Hype April/May

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile
Cats here got issues with D and as result are not reasoning well with their arguments. All what I read from D sad makes logical sense but cats are just attacking cause they found an opportunity to say what they saying about D. You cats are clearly not trying to reason here.

TTP sounds like a cool cat and I believe he could have handled this better if he made the effort to.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Dplanet.. I feel you.. I think you have been very harshly targeted and abused in this thread..

The problem with album reviews is that their based on interpretation and in some cases pre-existing bias. In SA there general opinions about Sharpa are either favorable or unfavorable. There is no in between. This is highlighted by the highly contrasting local reviews. On a street level i either hear hate or love for Sharpa, never any people who are indifferent. The funny thing is these opinions are usually formed without anyone picking up a sharpa cd.

Your more likely to get an objective Sharpa review internationally where the bias (favorable or unfavorable) doesn't exist.

With regards to the French piece you posted, that's an interpretation that you share with the reviewer but it could have gone either way if their interpretation clashed with yours.

You have raised a very interesting point. I have noted before that we suffer from 'crabs in a barrel' syndrome in SA hip hop. It's almost like no one wants to take pride in another South African's achievement if he's not from their camp, or his style isn't their personal favourite. Foreign journalists don't have this baggage and seem to find it much easier to judge a product on face value. Journalists in SA seem to want to show how clever they are by criticising something rather than critiquing it. 

All music journalists have their own personal taste but they should be able to set that aside and judge music based on a deep knowledge of the history of music as well as a broad knowledge of what's currently happening across a variety of genres. An informed piece of critique can only come from someone who knows where the music they are listening to fits within the larger context of other music of its genre around the world and weigh up its merits within that context.

We've had 12 reviews in foreign publications. While some are better (in terms of them saying nice things) than others, all of them have been able to understand where Sharpa is coming from musically. The interpretations have differed slightly, but we haven't found anything contradictory, or that we feel missed the point of what we were trying to achieve. Locally, this hasn't been the case.

I'm not trying to dismiss all local music journalism. As someone mentioned earlier, Miles Keylock is excellent. Recently I was talking with someone who lectures on journalism in SA. He said that music journalism today has become all about the journalist and not about the subject. Journalists often turn up to press launches just for the glamour and free alcohol. I'm not accusing TTP of this type of behaviour - he seems like an honest head.

Frank Zappa once famously said, "Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." ;D

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Dplanet.. I feel you.. I think you have been very harshly targeted and abused in this thread..

The problem with album reviews is that their based on interpretation and in some cases pre-existing bias. In SA there general opinions about Sharpa are either favorable or unfavorable. There is no in between. This is highlighted by the highly contrasting local reviews. On a street level i either hear hate or love for Sharpa, never any people who are indifferent. The funny thing is these opinions are usually formed without anyone picking up a sharpa cd.

Your more likely to get an objective Sharpa review internationally where the bias (favorable or unfavorable) doesn't exist.

With regards to the French piece you posted, that's an interpretation that you share with the reviewer but it could have gone either way if their interpretation clashed with yours.

You have raised a very interesting point. I have noted before that we suffer from 'crabs in a barrel' syndrome in SA hip hop. It's almost like no one wants to take pride in another South African's achievement if he's not from their camp, or his style isn't their personal favourite. Foreign journalists don't have this baggage and seem to find it much easier to judge a product on face value. Journalists in SA seem to want to show how clever they are by criticising something rather than critiquing it. 

All music journalists have their own personal taste but they should be able to set that aside and judge music based on a deep knowledge of the history of music as well as a broad knowledge of what's currently happening across a variety of genres. An informed piece of critique can only come from someone who knows where the music they are listening to fits within the larger context of other music of its genre around the world and weigh up its merits within that context.

We've had 12 reviews in foreign publications. While some are better (in terms of them saying nice things) than others, all of them have been able to understand where Sharpa is coming from musically. The interpretations have differed slightly, but we haven't found anything contradictory, or that we feel missed the point of what we were trying to achieve. Locally, this hasn't been the case.

I'm not trying to dismiss all local music journalism. As someone mentioned earlier, Miles Keylock is excellent. Recently I was talking with someone who lectures on journalism in SA. He said that music journalism today has become all about the journalist and not about the subject. Journalists often turn up to press launches just for the glamour and free alcohol. I'm not accusing TTP of this type of behaviour - he seems like an honest head.

Frank Zappa once famously said, "Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." ;D

Cosign. But we do try! And the pay is crap, so hey, we only do it for free CDs, gig tickets and fanboyism.

Just got the Sharpa. Review to follow.

Other (dope) journalism at www.robboffard.com
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

rob_one

• AG Veteran
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
^^^ remember i know where you live Rob! :D :D :D

Yeah well your lazy a** didn't post me a press copy - I mean, how rude! - so I actually had to go out and BUY it. Like with MONEY. I'm outraged. I demand a cheque in return for a fair review. ;D Otherwise I'll just rip it and it's boom-bap, blinged out a** to pieces...
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
^^^ remember i know where you live Rob! :D :D :D

Yeah well your lazy a** didn't post me a press copy - I mean, how rude! - so I actually had to go out and BUY it. Like with MONEY. I'm outraged. I demand a cheque in return for a fair review. ;D Otherwise I'll just rip it and it's boom-bap, blinged out a** to pieces...

Haha,,, my bad. But at least you can feel good for supporting SA hip hop :)

The cheque's in the post.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Here's how you write a CD review:

Ben Sharpa
B. Sharpa
Pioneer Unit

We need to get this out the way right now: Ben Sharpa is nice with his. Actually, screw that: he's a monster. Almost every track on his debut, B.Sharpa, is loaded with quotables. We’d drop a few here, but we’d run out of space. Whether it’s simmering anger (Hegemony) trippy storytelling (Edwin the Hardboiled) or just plain lyrical lunacy (The Eye Seen) Sharpa comes correct.

His spiky, whiny flow, one of the more recognisable in the SA hip-hop circuit, never gets old, and although one suspects that when faced with slightly more sensitive beats he might struggle, one also suspects that Ben doesn’t do sensitive. Opticial Ill this ain’t, and neither should it be.

And yet, for all his lyrical dexterity, the album as a whole is like a packet of Marie biscuits. Eating one or two at a pop is OK, but eat the whole packet and your mouth gets as dry as some of the beats here. DPlanet, Sibot, Hueman and Milanese all contribute individual moments of fire (special mention to the liquid ba**line of Hegemony) but listening to all twenty-one tracks in one go leaves your ears ringing and your mind aching for some variation. And it takes ages to get going properly.

Of course, the whole ear-aching, head-splitting thing is sort of what Ben sets out to do in the first place, so make of that what you will. And even if you don’t rock with all of the beats, the talent and quality is leaking from everywhere on this record.

It’s not as essential or as epochal as it promised, but immerse yourself in the twisted world of Ben Sharpa; chances are, you’ll emerge convinced, with dreadlocks and a f***ed-up world view. Go get that.

20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Not a bad review you wrote there Mr Boffard.

Since you and Tate are doing it, maybe I should also write one. Make it the most reviewed album in the history of AG. I think I'll pop the album in tomorrow morning when I leave for Maseru and only remove it when I get back next week.

Then I'll give you mine.

sero147

• AG Regular
    • REP: +4/-3
    • View Profile
"i've seen refugees with ten degrees sell u trees to pay rental fees".... the eye seen BEN SHARPA

codename28

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +0/-1
  • Might as "well..."
    • View Profile
Cats here got issues with D and as result are not reasoning well with their arguments. All what I read from D sad makes logical sense but cats are just attacking cause they found an opportunity to say what they saying about D. You cats are clearly not trying to reason here.

TTP sounds like a cool cat and I believe he could have handled this better if he made the effort to.

wanna suck my dick too?  ;D U seem to do this really well for DPlanet. No homo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:46:02 PM by codename28 »
why all this killing in yo raps kids?

RearrangedReality

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-42
    • View Profile

whats the point of saying no homo then? not a surprise getting such a request from a guy named codename28

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile

whats the point of saying no homo then? not a surprise getting such a request from a guy named codename28

ah, good 'ol hip hop homophobia. certainly sirs, i protest!