Rapper Common Sense

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +16/-8
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nyambo
Sorry i had to start this thread in response to what Superb said in the "Mos Def Challenge" Thread about common being wack post Electric Circus.

I myself, haven't been able to get into a Common album since but my reasons are not because he is now wack.. I think Common is still rapping like he's always been rapping.

I just feel that Commons first five albums up until "Be" were  well constructed. Similar in terms of how the production laid the foundation or mood for the entire albums. The albums felt like albums. You could describe how the beats sounded on "one day it will all make sense", "like water for chocolate", "Electric circus" etc.. The albums were well produced with each one offering a different slice of music than the others. And the way Common carried these albums felt, like he was the one who shaped them, by pairing himself with the right producers, musicians and vocalists.

Now to me "Be" and "Finding Forever" sound like common rhyming to bunch of beats that Kanye cooked.  Felt more like follow (Common) the leader (Kanye West). These albums lacked any sonic identity. It was just random beats put together. Didnt even feel like Common was too involved in the direction of these projects... Which was much different to Common's first five albums in the sense that you could sonically describe the type of sound and feel of each project.

The Kanye era lost that. The albums don't sound like albums. There's no underlying theme, concept or mood to these albums. They sound more like a collection of songs. I listen to them like mixtapes... skip, skip, play, skip, skip, skip, play etc. 

Please, no Cash like responses about  how were mad that Common is making money now, when in actual fact "like water for chocolate (Pre Kanye)" is his 2nd highest selling project ahead of finding forever and 50k shy of "Be".

So sales wise Kanye didnt do much for him. Just popularized him a bit more, which was needed to jump start his movie ambitions.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

The CHEF

• CapCity's hard-working producer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-14
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/bleksperm
Aaaah....words of wisdom for the day...

I co-sign every word you say here, and will like to add on with a couple of mine. People sometimes tend to think that producers are the ones that are suposed to make the album, but in general (my opinion), the artists are the ones that make it. Not trying to contradict myself tho, I also feel that producers at a stage need to step up to the plate and take part ownership in shaping it if they see that the artist fumbles.

However, change is sometimes good, but the direction that the change takes should also have weight in having positiveness. I personally think that the artist should be partially blamed if he also involved the producer, but if he just went around looking for beats, then I belive he should be entirely responsible for that.

In the Common case, I believe Common wanted to do something different and not just collecting beats for "BE", and he failed most fans by teaming up with Kanye. The unfortunate part is that the details of the team-up will not be known, but surely it had its perks(sp).

Maybe Common had a pattern, a pattern of using same producer/s for a particular album, and that seemed to work, but well...

:(

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
i will never claim to be  huge common fan, but i have always respected him. the way you feel about his post kanye era is the way i felt about electric circus...THAT WAS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF NONSENSE I HAVE EVER LISTENED TO!!! GAAAAA'DAYUM THAT WAS KAK!!!

i would beg to differ on Be. i thought that was a well constructed album which covered different topics and still had the same vivid wordplay on songs like "the corner" "food" and "Go" "faithful" and so on. I would definately agree that there was a huge kanye album on be, but i dont know so much about finding forever... but isnt that how ye rolls with anyone he produces... but i think on finding forever common took more control of his project... in fact kanye even said that common turned down a lot of his beats on that album..

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Not sure what you base your "Be" critic on.. Maybe you could argue lyrically it was an album.. But from a production point of view it was scattered. I maintain it was just a collection of beats.
Upcoming from Next Door Music: Damola - illustration | Austin 25 & Daddy Kool - Stand-up brothers | Blaklez - Boy Next Door!

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
if kanye wasnt such a "larger than life" character if he was as "in the cut" as NoID would you feel the same about those 2 albums ?

maybe an irrelevant statement. but im wondering nonetheless.
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
you can maintain...Deez...LOL!

but on the real. i dont have the pa**ion for the album as u may have......but i really listened to Be in fact i still do...and thought it was really fresh....... and i would not know what a "collection of beats" would be. but i would cla**ify electric circus as "a collection of beats" before Be

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
if kanye wasnt such a "larger than life" character if he was as "in the cut" as NoID would you feel the same about those 2 albums ?

maybe an irrelevant statement. but im wondering nonetheless.

Has nothing to do with Kanye. I like Late Registration and don't care too much for No Ids newer material.

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
Be is a dope a** "ALBUM". come on ya'll. What about it makes it a "collection of beats" ? Electric Circus is the wackest piece of garbage Common has ever put out. Wrong choice in change of direction from him. Same with UMC. Finding Forever was dope too in my book.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:41:47 AM by MrTwoTeams »
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
the way you feel about his post kanye era is the way i felt about electric circus...THAT WAS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF NONSENSE I HAVE EVER LISTENED TO!!! GAAAAA'DAYUM THAT WAS KAK!!!

Nyambz...I agree with u all the way......so its the production team that the artist chooses that makes the album good or bad

No ways....Electric Circus was dope.....DJPeewee. Musically that album was good.....
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
Be is a dope a** "ALBUM". come on ya'll. What about it makes it a "collection of beats" ? Electric Circus is the wackest piece of garbage Common has ever put out. Wrong choice in change of direction from him. Same with UMC. Finding Forever was dope too in my book.

I would dissagree with the Electric circus hate.. It was a very different sort of album production wise. It was very intense, lyrically and production wise. You either like the album or you dont but it was not bad.

The production was different. But the beats were excellent productions. Any one of you that think the beats were bad i dare you make a single beat that bodies any beat on Electric circus and i will eat my words.

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

I would dissagree with the Electric circus hate.. It was a very different sort of album production wise. It was very intense, lyrically and production wise. You either like the album or you dont but it was not bad.

The production was different. But the beats were excellent productions. Any one of you that think the beats were bad i dare you make a single beat that bodies any beat on Electric circus and i will eat my words.

I've got one.

http://www.africasgateway.com/forums/index.php?topic=25953

LOL !!
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile
I'll take that as a no...  ;)

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

I aint got nothing to prove. 2 hours of me making a beat that's better than anything on EC is a complete waste of my time. What am i gonna gain from it ? EC is still wack either way.

Omero's Daddy

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
  • the kid...the wonder.
    • View Profile

I aint got nothing to prove. 2 hours of me making a beat that's better than anything on EC is a complete waste of my time. What am i gonna gain from it ? EC is still wack either way.

I suppose we can agree to dissagree

GudEar

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +7/-9
  • 100% Zuluboy
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/nduduzof
No ways that Electric Circus was not just collection of Beats...pls....Its was a good extremely good material.

Be was just a collection of beats...if u listen to 2joints that Jay Dee produced there, they kinda have the same feeling..meaning.. if Jay Dee produced the whole album.....I sort of have the picture in mind of how it would sounded like.

Commercial wise Be was a good stunt to pull....but musically it gat no direction...When I listen to Jay Dee joints there...its like I'm in another zone and the switch to kanye's then...on another zone too.

Maybe those producers can't really work on the same material...Pete Rock would have given it the same feel Jay Dee gave...Maybe if Kanye teamed up with Just Blaze on Be...it would have not just be the collection of beats

Like if u listen to Electric Circus....producers..there...they have the same groove....Neptunes, Jay Dee, ?uestlove and James Poyser
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:22:23 AM by Superb »
Marco Polo - Marquee ft O.C.
Charles Aznavour - Qui ?
Fugees - Cowboys
Something Bout Love - The Main Ingredient

I stay on top like eXponents - AQ