General In8

• luv God n hip hop
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +6/-6
    • View Profile
    • http://www.africasgateway.com
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii119/generalinnate/backtothecity1.jpg

Back to the City is back!!

Nowadays, it is not often that you find a hip hop event which truly celebrates the spirit and culture of hip hop as a whole – as it was meant to be. The third annual ‘Back to the City’ hip hop festival takes over the streets of Newtown, Johannesburg again.

Featuring artists representing the pinnacle of artistic expression from South Africa, this unique youth event has grown into the largest public display of the full scope of hip hop culture in South Africa. The one day festival presents a day of live music, street art, break-dancing, art installation, skateboarding, film, street fashion, gaming, speakers and panel discussions. From the daytime events to the nightly performances, this is one time that the inner city comes alive with true freedom of expression providing a destination for hip hop fans, artists and culturalists. Over 5,000 people will come together and celebrate Freedom Day through the experience of hip hop and youth culture.

“This is the reason I love hip hop and what makes me a head…”
Hype Magazine review of Back to the City 2008

This year there will be over 20 live performances and dj’s will entertain throughout the day. Featured artists include Archetypes; Hymphatic Thabs; HHP; Tumi; Ben Sharpa; Jozi; DJ Kenzhero; Zuluboy; Prokid; Lemonka mix tape featuring Tuks; DJ Naked, Fifi, the Anvils and many many more.

One of the aims of the “Back to the City” initiative is to take a neglected part of Newtown and transform the space with and colour and life, creating awareness as well as sustainable revenue to the surrounding companies. Ten graffiti crews will utilise the highway pillars as their canva**es, creating colourful masterpieces in the city. This year we feature the Ice Collectivo a graffiti crew from Marseilles. They will be teaming up with Faith 47, Rasty, Hac One, Kasi and other local writers for a two day workshop taking place at the Alliance Francaise in Diepkloof, Soweto. Skateboarding and BMX ramps will also be constructed to add another element of street culture to this outdoor initiative. Ritual Stores will host a fine and digital arts exhibition as well as film screenings, which will feature a collective of artists from various backgrounds. These art pieces will be up for sale as well as the Ritual Store merchandise.

‘Back to the City’  also celebrates the fifth element of hip hop – knowledge of self. This manifests in a daytime educational summit. This portion of the programme is made up workshops and panel disucssions. Topics include music business, sponsorship, distribution and retail. Featured speakers and panellists include TS Records, Pioneer Unit,  Buttabing and MTN Xploded.

When:  Freedom Day (27 April) 2009

Where:   Coner Bree and Henry Nxumalo streets, Newtown, Johannesburg

How much:   ‘Back to the City’ has always been a free event however, due to a reduction in sponsorship and the current global economy, a minimal R30 will be charged

Visit http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=79014689832&ref=mf   to view the final programme for the day.
For more information contact:   RitualStores@gmail.com or  unlearnagency@gmail.com

spread love in da music

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
can you please post the program?. . .i hate facebook and dont want to waste my time sifting through all the bullshit on it just to get to this.

to make matters worse, i dont even know how to work it, so you can imagine my annoyance when people use it as the primary outlet in spreading the word about an event. as if its too tasking to put up a simple website using the wordpress template or even to start a google blogger account.