Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Back 2 the City 2009

t2da · 51 · 20010

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +35/-25
    • View Profile
One thing i was disappointed in though was none of the Artists mentioned anything about "Freedom Day".That's sad. I get a feeling that 5 years down the line, we would have totally forgotten about April 27, 1994.

"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-28
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
The show was dope indeed

KZN held it down strongly...Abdus  :o the boy done grabbed my attention...someone to lookout for...

Reason (Dope Intro) & Nthabi, Shovel & Optical Ill, Archetypes, Smerf, Deep Soweto, Maraza, Notshi, Andrianto, Hakeem, Ba4za, Imbube F-eezy Young Nations & HHP, Flow & Kinesis, Zawe, the dance crews, graffitti, Anvils, Tebz the comedian, Black Moss, Driemanskap,Qba, Testrogen, Robo, Take Away, Shugga & Slikour, Zaki & the Djs.....

I missed the early performances though, got there just after 14hrs....didnt get to see Last Days Fam & Illiterate Skills amongst others...

The Ventilation crew talks too much, i'm gettin tired of their politics, they must just do the music and get off stage...

The performances were dope, although some artists didnt bring it all out...

...and Tumi dissapointed me again by not performing.... :(

Yeah MrC the sound was kinda dissapointing at times, but twas too nyc overall....

As for the Battle, eish wat the hell was Snazz doing...? Jazz got murdered in the final by Adamiz...oooh weee...Inta was not bad at all, but it seems like the battle emcees aint bringin thru any new shit, Inta knew every line that Adamiz was throwing at him in the semis...Adamiz shud hav lost that battle....

ayo t2da, why dont u guys hook up a Back2daCity 3 Soundtrack...a track from each artist that performed on the day, hype can even hook dat up as the mixtape for the august issue... :)

Dope Event....Enjoyed meself....

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
@MrC i kinda feel like that @times aswell. This white guy @work comes to me and ask what holiday is it on the 27 so i tell him that its freedom day, so he says "freedom day?" with this look in his that got me annoyed so i say "yes, today in 1994, black people were allowed to vote" and so he walked away. Then 5minutes later he says "ha! freedom day, are we free when we have bars on our doors and windows" so i just shook my head giving him a look that said please, dont get me started!!!
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
  • I got next....
    • View Profile
One thing i was disappointed in though was none of the Artists mentioned anything about "Freedom Day".That's sad. I get a feeling that 5 years down the line, we would have totally forgotten about April 27, 1994.

Ben Sharpa did mention something about it, even mentioned workers day aswell and did a track about freeing the workers and all that....

i just did not understand the purpose of the street bash outside the gig though, i thought it was wack for some peeps to leave their cribs to go chill and play house music outside a hip hop gig ???

That also pissed me off a bit, dont undastand why ppl wud drive from their homes just to park outside the gig and do like that...

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

Ben Sharpa did mention something about it, even mentioned workers day aswell and did a track about freeing the workers and all that....

Didnt get to see Sharpa. But still 1 outta what 30 cats ? That's wack. The organizers should have emphasized this with the performers. We tend to get lost in the fun sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:21:20 PM by MrTwoTeams »
"Generation X, really take it to the Max, everybody's so smart,cos we google all the facts" - Neon

Soul Amazin'

• AG Elite Member
  • I got next....
    • View Profile

Didnt get to see Sharpa. But still 1 outta what 30 cats ? That's wack. The organizers should have emphasized this with the performers. We tend to get lost in the fun sometimes.

It was my first tym at back2dacity and hearin of it this year, so i dont know the history of it, is it a Freedom Day Celebration...?

Enis21

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +5/-13
    • View Profile
the walls/pillars and the breakers were dope---- didnt see any performance

it was cool---just lacking fire water/beer
"Stuck with yourself like the rest of us"

song-stress

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +2/-2
    • View Profile
some sabc crew was there asking peeps about the importance of heritage. that caught me off guard really coz i was not sure what that had to do with the day... so i guess i answered with good enough xhonglish :P

its true we all get lost in the fun, cant remember if they made a noise about freedom day in the first back to the city. maybe the event is not built around that ( i stand corrected).  I would be good tough to just highlight that!

ToXic Candy

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +2/-15
  • I LOVE YOU,MCWAAAAH!
    • View Profile
I thot I wuld make it but I only came back to Jozi in the aftanun and I thot it wuld be a waste as I planed to leave early.
But next year I'll do my best to be there,maybe I'll get inspired to rhyme myself, who knows.
Dn't have a comfort zone ,always have room for improvement.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I had a great day. It's a beautiful thing to see so many heads coming together. For once, I've got no complaints about anything :)

BIG UPS to Domz, Osmic and everyone involved in organising. I'm sure Back to the City is going to go from strength to strength.

Was cool chillin' with Mr. C and Neon,,, and nice to meet a whole bunch of artists; Morale, Sliqour, Sugasmaxx, HHP, Hymphatic, Draztik, Robo (copped his album but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet), Damola, Arche,... too many to mention.

Sadly I had to leave before Sharpa performed but Driemanskap made me proud.

Looking forward to next year.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:10:44 PM by Dpleezy »

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
Zaki Ibrahim, bishes! what can i say? - the woman shakes my center every time. in fact - and this could just be the beer talking - but i think shorty winked at me before traipsing off stage in that adorable flutter of angel wings which, if you ask this poster, wouldn't shock too much if they turned out to be an affliction from birth instead of a mess of synthetic plastic.

but enough of that.

i dug the Ben Sharpa. i dug it deep. but no, far be it for anyone to expect you conservative hip hop mofos to even think about moving a limb - let alone dancing - at a music festival. that's too commercial, innit? sheeit, you were probably sneering at Lee and booing Shugasmakcx with the rest of those hooligans you underground head, you.

Robo The Motherf***ing Technician was excellent. way better than back when he was guest rapping for Thabs' dense, conceptual albums. he delivered a commanding performance and had me chanting something important (drinking apparantly affects my memory) and freedom day related. i listened - got ready for revolution - and then drank some more.

the breakers - what the f***? can you believe those kids? 8 years old and windmilling like you run this bitch. dope! my future bride, aka the girl who took me home and had her way with me last night, said we should have kids just like that. i didn't say no!

there's so much i could say about this gig but my beer's getting warm and wifey will be disappointed to come back from cla** and find me sober. so i must leave you good people.

back to the city is the shit!

Capt Schti

• Two sips from being a tyrant.
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
T'was a truly great and awe-inspiring day.
The event is really taking shape, maybe next year we will have alcohol inside, (a matter of getting a licence surely.)
Today I woke up with graffiti in front of my building (opp Shivava) and I shit you not some kids were still battling at 2 am this morning in front of my building, I was woken up by some rapper screaming "Dog you're a FAGGIT! A FAGGIT"
Got to love it.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:36:47 PM by Capt Schti »
"I just want to enter my house justified" Bloody Sam

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile

Does anyone have any idea what Deep Soweto is or have some of their music.... Anything really.

Deep Soweto is a crew from what is called the "deep" part of soweto. LOL !!!! They were selling their music yesterday. Me, i copped myself 4 local discs, Smerf, Liquid KZN, Illeterate Skill and Ras. Can't wait to dig in to them. Was a nice day overall. Met RR again,what up homie, and Baldi, hehe. The sound starting f***ing up through the course of the day, but then they kinda recovered it later. For me Driemanskaap and Golden Shovel/Optical Illusion killed it. Got to hang out with Thirteen, OG, Ba4ZA, Mpho, Nombongo,was too nice. Left when Reason and Nthabi where doing Breathe.

Thanks, damn these boys hara**ed us and they were everywhere... Anyways does anyone have anything by them? Was not willing to buy it but I'm really interested.

And what's the hehe for? :D Loved the look o your face when the panny finally dropped.. Cla**ic...  

@ Enis, the craziest thing, no alcohol at a festival. Had to go to Capello's and I must admit that place is shitty with shitty service.

Oh and I'd really love to see more security around the area. Just for a girls peace of mind.

TY-D-CPT-021-NKE

• Go tell your mother cause i dont give a f**
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-47
  • "Dont kyk me by the gevriet aka dont judge snitch!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thesamark.co.za/WC-NKE.aspx
the sad thing about this thread is that its for a select few peeps....i cant agree or disagree with any of you posting about back to city...if it were here youd be writing the sam eish ...anyway seems like it was dope....panic you a wierd cat you know tha...
people be juding me by the way that i walk even when i talk they say i got swagger like i be from new york..#print that bitches!

MrC The Rap God Almighty

• AG Veteran
    • View Profile

And what's the hehe for? :D Loved the look o your face when the panny finally dropped.. Cla**ic...  

nah man,was just that i didn't immediately recognize you even though i think we've met b4.next time i'll know. panny dropped ? someone please translate for me.i went to a loxion school.