Rap, Theatre, Bawse

TNGlive · 15 · 4642

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +0/-1
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Taken from NY Times

It’s hard to say when, exactly, 50 Cent crossed the line in his feud with the Miami rapper Rick Ross. The more apt question might be: How many lines are there? He tracked down the mother of a Ross a**ociate, DJ Khaled, at work, filming her sleeping on the job. He taped himself taking the mother of one of Mr. Ross’s children to buy a fur coat. He acquired and posted to the Internet a pronographic video starring another of Mr. Ross’s ex-girlfriends.

Rick Ross must have seemed an especially easy mark — it had already been a tough few months for his fourth wall. Before he was Rick Ross, the drug boss M.C., he had been William Leonard Roberts, and last summer a photograph surfaced of him from the mid-1990s, graduating from a corrections officer academy. He denied its authenticity — until The Smoking Gun got hold of his Florida Corrections Department personnel file, which included a certificate for perfect attendance.

The facts of Mr. Roberts’s life were getting in the way of Mr. Ross’s career.

To all this upheaval, Rick Ross — who, while he has been popular, has never quite been great — has replied, improbably, with art. “I see no reason to run to the dark,” he said in a recent interview in the Manhattan offices of his label, Def Jam. His songs aimed at 50 Cent have, hands down, been sharper and wittier than those of his rival. And the just-released “Deeper Than Rap” (Maybach Music/Slip N’ Slide/Def Jam), his third album, is unexpectedly fantastic, by far his best.

If albums were all that mattered, that would be that. But Mr. Ross’s persistence and the fact that though over the last nine months he’s been all but stripped bare, he’s emerged from the fray relatively unscathed, which indicates something much more noteworthy. Impenetrability of image, that old signal of hip-hop authenticity, somehow no longer seems to count.

And what a relief that is. Like all great pop music, rap is theater, and Rick Ross, now 33, is one of its most ambitious characters. He arrived fully formed in the summer of 2006: the busting-out gut, the outsize presence, the scratchy voice, the always-there sungla**es. At worst he was a Young Jeezy clone, spewing empty drug talk in comically repetitive fashion. At best he was an utterly believable and improbably charming exponent of the cocaine-rap making the rounds at the time. Clipse may have done it with more technical precision, and Jeezy with more magnetism, but Mr. Ross sounded in charge, his voice a gravelly threat.

“Deeper Than Rap” is just as certain as his first two studio albums, “Port of Miami” and “Trilla,” but reflects the view from the top, not the bottom. Now, instead of climbing up to success, he’s achieved it. Produced largely by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League and the Inkredibles, this album is lush, erotic, entitled, a stunning leisure-cla** document of easy wealth and carefree sex. It’s a throwback to a time of sonic and attitudinal ambition in hip-hop — the Bad Boy era of the mid- to late ’90s, with its warm soul samples connoting the new hip-hop luxury comes to mind. Few rap albums have sounded this a**ured, this sumptuous, in years.

Also, unlike before, Mr. Ross can now rap, impressively: either he’s been studying or is having his hand held. It’s the only thing at odds with this album’s casual ethic; rapping well need not be a priority, but Mr. Ross seems to take his newfound affinity for polysyllabic rhyme schemes as a point of pride.

On “Usual Suspects” he raps:

“Seventeen, trying to man up

Feed the fam, boy, I put that on these canned goods

All I got was diabetes and a damn hug

People talking down, calling me a damn scrub.

What’s also notable about “Deeper Than Rap” is what’s not there. 50 Cent is a target on at least three songs, but Mr. Ross doesn’t belabor the battle nor does he touch on the aspects of his personal life that have lately haunted him.

In an age of routine tabloid invasions and the microrevelation as celebrity news, it’s become commonplace to expect access to all aspects of the lives of the famous. But in the hip-hop world, the stories behind the stories can be too grave to tell.

“Right now as we speak, I got two of my best friends that’s on the run from two separate cocaine conspiracy indictments,” Mr. Ross said. “This is a reality that I can’t glorify. The relationship I have with these people is deeper than rap.

“When I say something like ‘deeper than rap,’ that’s possibly death involved. That’s possibly prison time involved.”

The idea of “deeper than rap” has become a hip-hop touchstone of late. When the rapper Crooked I was shot, or not, earlier this year — he wouldn’t confirm or deny reports — he demurred from discussing the situation, saying, “It’s deeper than rap.”

Last month, on the MTV show “T. I.’s Road to Redemption,” that rapper calmly detailed the criminal activities that led to his arrest in 2007 on weapons charges. Coming from T. I. himself, it was shocking, an alternative history of his career that had nothing at all to do with music. (He is scheduled to begin serving his year-and-a-day sentence next month.)

Though his life beyond rap has been used against him, Mr. Ross still teases about an unknowable dark side. On the new album he name-drops Harry O, a Los Angeles drug dealer (who claimed to have provided the seed money for Death Row Records), and Big Ike, a Miami street kingpin.

Mr. Ross took his name from Freeway Rick Ross, a Los Angeles drug lord, and was mentored by Kenneth Williams, known as Boobie and now serving a life sentence. On “Gunplay,” from the new album, Mr. Ross raps “Boobie Boy still/ Boobie Boys real/ You can name a lot of lames that the Boobie Boys killed.”

Perhaps he’s overcompensating. Mr. Ross’s outing as a former corrections officer was the most spectacular and public implosion of a rapper’s self-styled tough-guy image — the hip-hop blog NahRight.com gleefully refers to him as Officer Rawse — since The Dallas Morning News picked apart the looser sections of Vanilla Ice’s biography during his rise to fame in 1990.

But Vanilla Ice’s songs weren’t filled with homage to the drug trade and its leading lights. And no one expected unvarnished truth from him. Mr. Ross must submit to a different standard.

Or at least he still acts as if he must. Of his stint on the side of the law, Mr. Ross said, “The truth is more sinister than the obvious,” suggesting an undisclosed layer to his time there.

Miami, he said, is a city where young go-getters “sell dope, buy Lamborghinis and get buried in them.” This month he filmed a video for “All I Really Want,” a collaboration with The-Dream, in Medellín, Colombia. In footage from the trip, available on YouTube, he stands outside the house where Pablo Escobar was killed, sungla**es off, soaking in history.

Whether it’s a validation of Mr. Ross’s extramusical credibility or an elaborately staged pose might not matter: creating this scene allows for a productive ambiguity in how he is perceived by outsiders. All the revelations about him get dwarfed by the question of who Rick Ross might be when he steps away from the microphone.

Asked how he’d explain to his children the more insidious of the ex-girlfriend videos 50 Cent has disseminated, Mr. Ross was philosophical: “I’d say she was an actress for a day. I love actresses.” In other words, an acknowledgment that sometimes it’s acceptable to just be playing a role.

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
What say you? Rap, like all good pop is theater at it's heart?

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
interesTNG.... ;D

this makes me want to listen to the album...just downloaded the album and sounding good already... TRILLA!

i think ross will remain RAWSE even with all this 50 cent shit. the person im waiting to release if 50 cent, coz im convinced it will prove that his hype is finished!

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
1. was this in the print version?

2. if so, mad props to The Smoking Gun and Nah Right - niggas be making moves with this online shit.

3. i won't drink the kool aid. Ross is trash and there's nothing profound with him ignoring the 50 beef - he knows he'll just be made to swallow more ether.

4. f*** all these 'high end' publications cosigning these f***ing minstrels to make hip hop seem like nothing more than diva pop music with interesting caricatures. when in actual fact these are present people in America's undercla**, and not just fictions conjured for the sake of vicarious suburban enjoyment. Bob Dylan had it right about the "Geek".

Tuboy

• http://www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +9/-19
  • my heart is a house nucca, fear don't live here!
    • View Profile
    • www.reverbnation.com/tuboytulz
1. was this in the print version?

2. if so, mad props to The Smoking Gun and Nah Right - niggas be making moves with this online shit.

3. i won't drink the kool aid. Ross is trash and there's nothing profound with him ignoring the 50 beef - he knows he'll just be made to swallow more ether.

4. f*** all these 'high end' publications cosigning these f***ing minstrels to make hip hop seem like nothing more than diva pop music with interesting caricatures. when in actual fact these are present people in America's undercla**, and not just fictions conjured for the sake of vicarious suburban enjoyment. Bob Dylan had it right about the "Geek".

AMEN!!
M Turn

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
DJPeewee, it's on heavy rotation, production value is incredible...it's Deeper Than Rap ;D

Panic;
1. Yes it was.
2. Concur.
3. I think you may have missed the point. He did respond, but what's being said is that someone like myself & other music lovers have quickly forgotten about that side of things & we're appreciating the quality of the album -i.e. it's all about whether the music is good or not.

So the question being asked is, does authenticity matter anymore in rap music? Or is it back to how effectively does the character presented connect with his targeted audience?

I personally think the same person who - as a matter of automatic behaviour - can't look past the references to "cocaine" & get the real human story that you can relate to e.g. trying not to get consumed by your environment, is the same person who could just as easily -as a matter of automatic anti-sci-fi behaviour - switch off when Neo gets "unplugged" & fails to get the real human story behind the whole trilogy e.g. in life there's more than what meets the eye if you look hard enough.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
of course authenticity matters - in HIP HOP. its not as if Ross is breaking multi plat or garnering waves of respect from people who know from rap music. hes just continuing with his role as the latest media-backed protoganist in the ongoing soap opera/popularity contest that is American urban music. thats to say the bulk of his fanbase are chart followers who've never cared about authenticity to begin with - preferring rather to be entertained by make-believe tough-guy bullshit with a banging beat. just because they still listen to him he's proved that authenticity is irrelevant? come on!

in a sentence, authenticity matters in hip hop, but hardly means anything in pop.

my beef, as outlined above, is that these publications are working really hard to make us hesitate in drawing the distinction between the two. f*** that.

you can find a human story behind everything a human being puts their hand to. but Ross is still trash.

TNGlive

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
    • TNGlive
Hmm, okay.

How would you cla**ify the following;

> Ice T - Cop Killa: did he really put on a ski-mask and was literally ready to kill a particular cop?

> Wu Tang - Liquid swords: was one of them really a "heartbeat stopper," a criminal roaming free.

>L.L. Cool J - Hey Lover: was he really keeping all his "dreams alive until the right time," because she has a man, so he was really going to cheat on his wife for years with this 'crush.'

When you say "authenticity doesn't matter in pop." What you may not realize is that when you sing pop, your delivery still needs to be believable. You don't just record and it's a hit. The connection I spoke of earlier still needs to be present for the record to work.

If you're saying Ross is irrelevant because it's the chart followers supporting that don't care about authenticity, you have to agree these same people are not trendsetters or tastemakers, they're just followers,,,following. Who are they following?

Rap has always allowed for MCs to be able to narrate someone else's thoughts/experiences without them having experienced every aspect of that particular story being told.

If Sci-fi is not your taste, it doesn't automatically follow that the The Matrix is "wack." It's just not for you. That doesn't take away from it being a good trilogy.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
manegro you cant be serious? youve just taken all of those cats out of their cultural and musical contexts to parallel with Ross based on surface similarities? 

im about to drink my own weight in beer right now, but this is an interesting topic and i promise to return.

er, lemme just empty these here shits first.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:32:08 PM by the panic! »

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
Hmm, okay.

How would you cla**ify the following;

> Ice T - Cop Killa: did he really put on a ski-mask and was literally ready to kill a particular cop?

> Wu Tang - Liquid swords: was one of them really a "heartbeat stopper," a criminal roaming free.

>L.L. Cool J - Hey Lover: was he really keeping all his "dreams alive until the right time," because she has a man, so he was really going to cheat on his wife for years with this 'crush.'

When you say "authenticity doesn't matter in pop." What you may not realize is that when you sing pop, your delivery still needs to be believable. You don't just record and it's a hit. The connection I spoke of earlier still needs to be present for the record to work.

If you're saying Ross is irrelevant because it's the chart followers supporting that don't care about authenticity, you have to agree these same people are not trendsetters or tastemakers, they're just followers,,,following. Who are they following?

Rap has always allowed for MCs to be able to narrate someone else's thoughts/experiences without them having experienced every aspect of that particular story being told.

If Sci-fi is not your taste, it doesn't automatically follow that the The Matrix is "wack." It's just not for you. That doesn't take away from it being a good trilogy.

i feel u TNG.

the panic - i think Ross's last two albums have gone platinum...im not so sure about Trilla..but i think it did. I think cats need to just express their opinions as just that THEIR OPINION. i hate the way we dick-ride up in here and try act like we all have to like a certain type of hiphop and if u like ross etc then u dont know nothing about real hiphop? whats that about...come on!

i think from the guys coming out of Miami - apart from trick Daddy - the Boss has done an exceptional job...IF U ACTUALLY LISTEN TO HIS SHIT. if u never listened to his albums i think its just best to say i cant form an opinion...

General Ratzinger van Stilzkin

• My 40 acres is missing its mule
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-35
    • View Profile
been bumping the album all week... and im impressed, enjoying it... J.U.S.T.I.C.E League came hard and i think his raps are also very good...
Hustlers. We dont sleep we rest one eye up

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
*yawn*

there's nothing new or interesting here. to each his own.

Killa Merc

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-22
    • View Profile
I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by Ross’ new material. I never liked him before, but that 50 diss track (Mafia Music)  made me listen. I downloaded cigar music and liked that too. His raps were on point sounding like big on a mellow tip.
Previously his only song I could stomach was Hustling.
I haven’t downloaded the entire album but I will soon.

Blac Satyr

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +8/-8
  • Magnifiko
    • View Profile
Im also not Rick Ross fan, even tho sum of his beats makes me wana listen 2 him. ofcourse he had to cum even mo harda on his nu album, reason bein Jay wasnt quite impressed with trilla units! get it? 50 just makin anotha stunt, tryin his luck again afta the 1 he did with Kanye West... @ times it kina makes me think that, nowadays those cats pull stops as to create a scene, before releasin their shit in orda 4 people to be curious mo, and crave on listenin to wot they ol about... nas did it too, lil wayne did it aswel, even t.i. or maybe not 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:05:21 AM by Blac™ »
Blac's V.day's R&B(Rhythm & Ba**) Reshuffled Mix:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3sdnz0

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile