Africasgateway.com

the beauty myth

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
*walks into the shooting gallery, stands in front of the target and poses *

it’s a book by a woman called naomi wolf.

just an interesting investigation of the situation regarding the children of the prior struggles for the liberation and self determination of women. it’s intelligent and thought provoking, bridging the use of slightly academic theorems into a real world, everyday context. its accessible reading. she interrogates how far women have come in terms of themselves and their positioning in society, both as subjects and objects. it questions the extent of our self awareness within the ever quietly shifting paradigms of the conscious and unconscious agreements we make in relation to our choices. it explores the issue of the gains women have made in the public space over the years, as juxtaposed with some of the new challenges we face, it highlights these.

like much else it may be dismissed as being feminist when i think that to do so is to be grossly negligent. at a very basic level i think that if we look at the world as it is, with women not only being the greater majority and actually forming the backbone of societies everywhere, perhaps its more important than we think. its what some of us already intrinsically know and experience but most of us don’t engage with. and it is a conversation missing amongst women themselves. one that shouldnt be exclusive to halls of learning or corridors of so called power.   

she decribes this current system of functioning as ‘checkmating power at every level in individual womens lives...undermining, slowly, imperceptibly, without our being aware of the real forces of erosion...'

its pertinent in so far as i think its important for us to be consistently re-evaluating our understanding of our role in society. to be able to contextualise ourselves, in terms of what we believe in and why. and as the inheritors of the rich legacy of being given better chances to make the best possible contributions to our society, we need to be clear on where there is still work to be done. we need to be questioning whether we, today, are making the best of use of that. are we simply perfecting what is already or in our own way, using our voices to shed some new light.

like any good book, it challenges thought in a manner which is simultaneously uncomfortable as it is empowering.

its not always cool but umzabalazo continues broers.

and difference is a beautiful thing.   
- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
damn, Rhozie, what i ever do to get served like that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:46:42 PM by the panic! »

BHLAKHROZE

• A POETRY OF LIVING
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +21/-17
    • View Profile
EXHIBIT A

i hope the book is more accessible than this description. what's here is obviously a case of allowing pa**ion to cloud clarity. :)

is it an American book?

i believe "difference is a beautiful thing" until we believe it to be absolute.

ah the panic! but ofcourse. we meet again is it. i had kind of hoped it would fly over your head completely. but alas. sigh. pity.
* deadpan *

yes, its american. you, however, are on your own should you decide to go there etc etc. much as i would like to, im currently unable to join you for this evenings ping pong.

...oh and about pa**ion and clarity. id say it’s a bit of both panicky one. id rightfully own them as a bit of both. and id consider it a job well done :)

- soul activist. poet. flower. fairy -

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
anyway it sounds like a good, interesting read.

*pleads for the mean post to be deleted*

briCK

• Gold digger bait!
  • AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +9/-10
  • No!!!!! Hoe!
    • View Profile
Ro i did not read your post, sorry , but i am so exited to c u :-*
Trapped In The 90ies Nigga.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Great book. I would definitely recommend it to all the ladies and the guys (for that matter). Chapter after chapter, Naomi tells of how "images of beauty" have been used (and still are) against women. It has a feminist undertone, but goes to great lengths to explain why it is okay to not have to be "glamorous, anorexic, breast implant having" type just because society says so.

if a woman loves her own body, she doesnt grudge what other women do with theirs; she loves femaleness, she champions its rights"

not that we all have to be bra-burning feminist, but that its okay to love oneself even if you are not "perfect".

"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
umzabalazo continues

uthini?
wait...umm...ithetha ukuthini siswam?

OH, btw - guily as charged "shrugs"
would listen if someone wanted to talk about the concept ..but wouldnt necessarily look for it in the library.  :-[

The Mighty Loks

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +37/-66
    • View Profile
umzabalazo continues

uthini?
wait...umm...ithetha ukuthini siswam?

OH, btw - guily as charged "shrugs"
would listen if someone wanted to talk about the concept ..but wouldnt necessarily look for it in the library.  :-[

;) Oh well look at that... Aren't you the fast learner.
Okay def getting this one.