Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Need to Segregate LOCAL Hiphop from Kwaito?

eef_haf

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Quote:
T.JONES: "What goes on?"
GRAND AGENT: "Right now I´m in Europe to support my new album ´Fish Outta Water´. This is the tour. I´m on tour with Declaime and Lil Dap from Group Home. Right now, I´m in Warsaw Poland talking to you."

T.JONES: "What is ´The Kwaito Credo´ or ´The Kwaito Technique´?"
GRAND AGENT: "A couple of years ago, my mother was in South Africa. She was telling me that ´Kwaito´ was a word they were using for hip-hop or for the music, or the culture. When she told me that, I was feeling it. I incorporated it into the stuff that I was on at the time. ´The Kwaito Credo´ is actually a quote from the bible that I put on the title for the opening skit of ´By Design´."

www.hiphop-elements.com

What do you think about Grand´s comments?
I remembered this interview and coming across the By Design joint due the discussion about DJ Drama coming to SA and saying that Kabelo was more african hiphop and according to Khoi, Talib saying the same about TKzee(!). Granted Grand was not talking first hand experience, it is still interesting (and un-nerving for some) that some people cant or refuse to see the difference.

?
ABAC - A change gon come!

khoi

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://The Kraal
That ´s how New York cats see SA hip-hop – and I’ll say this till the day hip-hop puts me on a cross We need a definitive sound for hip-hop here or else these f***ers (both the kwaito cats and the NY cats) will define it for us
wabulawayo Kraal we kill - only time will reveal

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
What do you mean by a definitive sound? Cos if you´re saying that we must get a sound that defines us a south african head, then I wouldn´t agree.

That would get monotonous and tiring. I think its about just being creative and being you. Stop trying to sound like someone else, or trying to make beats like someone else. Basically, what I´m saying is, aslong as you stay true to yourself, you shouldn´t care what anyone thinks.

f*** what the NY cats are saying, f*** what the kwaito cats are saying. You are hip hop and you dont need anyone to define or categorise you.
If we were to "get a definitive sound" wouldn´t that make us just as bad as the kwaito cats, who all sound similar?

Thats what I love about hip hop. You could have 10 cats from NY and they can all have a different sound. Some could sound like the Beasties, while some could sound like Immortal Technique, and even differebt, some could come like MC Paul BArman.

Just be true to you.

khoi

• AG Regular
    • View Profile
    • http://The Kraal
Quote:

08-07-2004 at 18:46, pYROKINETIX :
What do you mean by a definitive sound? Cos if you´re saying that we must get a sound that defines us a south african head, then I wouldn´t agree.

That would get monotonous and tiring. I think its about just being creative and being you. Stop trying to sound like someone else, or trying to make beats like someone else. Basically, what I´m saying is, aslong as you stay true to yourself, you shouldn´t care what anyone thinks.

f*** what the NY cats are saying, f*** what the kwaito cats are saying. You are hip hop and you dont need anyone to define or categorise you.
If we were to "get a definitive sound" wouldn´t that make us just as bad as the kwaito cats, who all sound similar?

Thats what I love about hip hop. You could have 10 cats from NY and they can all have a different sound. Some could sound like the Beasties, while some could sound like Immortal Technique, and even differebt, some could come like MC Paul BArman.

Just be true to you.

Sometimes I think u one of the few cats who speaks sense in these forums then u come on some other shit I don’t understand – but hey that my opinion – when I say “definitive sound” I mean a sound that would define us as South Africans the same way Nas, Mobb Deep’s hip-hop differentiate/ separates them from M.O.P or Wu Tang, the same Snoop’s hip-hop –yes hip-hop – differs from Ice Cube’s or Too $hort’s…

Maybe u can’t but I can and my boys can tell u – right from the first note where in a track where producer is from, and I can even tell u right from the first line when the rapper is from and that’s what want to be able to do here. Tell if a rapper is from Soweto or Bloemfontain (sp) before he even says it  

And yeah! U right being original will create that “definitive sound” I’m complaining about.  

see u 2moro, good night    
;-)
wabulawayo Kraal we kill - only time will reveal

iLL_eG0_AL13n

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile
i beleive delicate shit such as the way one sounds or wanna sound like, should come naturally n shouldn´t really be worked on, there´s sooo much shit to try but sooo few cats that dare
Art, regardless of what genre should be a reflection of the artists environment n surroundings, tho´ maybe influenced or inspired ain´t nothin like originality.
the problem with an awful lotta hiphop cats out here is that they try too hard to sound a particular way to appeal to some audience or meet certain standards, i swear i see an awful lotta fake a** local Canibuses, Wu-tangs, Company Flows n whatnots in these here parts, it´s like peeps´re convinced there´s sets of laws n regualtions to follow in order to sound "nice" n that´s not only where originalty suffers major a** blows but also where they´re wrong.
i could be talkin kak but i beleive that if only more heads were truer to themselves n went all out to break grounds n did more of what they feel insteada what they feel could  blow internationally then i bet that, that “definitive sound” y´all´re talkin about´d naturally pop in right thru international eardrums as a breeze of fresh air "somethin with its definite global influences yet original"
n if u really look into it that´s exactly what Kwaito did n quite unintentionally, in other words, more naturally
when peeps like Talib shows up in SA he couldn´t give a phuck about some SA rappin cats rippin shit exactly like 1000000 others do in NY,  n that´s why peeps like Max Normal or Tumi seem to tour n get noticed n recognized overseas more often than dudes like Optical Ill or Proverb
only my opinion... Peace
img]http://images2.imagehigh.com/imagehigh/N/16062005125945_NewAGSig.JPG[/img]
[size=22]Liƒè'§ Ill, sØmëti(¥)ë§ lìƒë (¥)ìght Kìll...[/size]

Young-n-mighty

• Foot Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://
BIG BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN KWAITO AND HIP HOP. BUT IT MUST BE SAID THAT KWAITO HAS SOME HIP HOP INFLUENCE. KHOI- I AGREE WITH YOU - cats need to push their creativity and be different. it doesnt mean that they must sound like kwaito or mbaqanga - its just means they must be creative. STAGGA is definitely just wayyyyyy too much of a rip off.... sorry jo...but ya need ta get your own sound.... if u wanna go sell overseas, that´s cool... but you´re not building here you´re just leeching.

so anyway though, TKZEE had a bit of a hiphop flow going in the early 90´s but nobody caught onto it...

Ultimately, there will be plenty of crossover in the two genres... take ZOLA for instance... and so we´re bound to be confused... let´s just let the music flow...

quot;I bleed rhymes when i'm wounded, seems to happen more and more as I lie face down on a puddle of my own metaphors on the floor"
Soulheir the Manchild