Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

Blaklez VS A.K.A

Trinidad-Hux · 258 · 104913

Darklight

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-22
    • View Profile
there sound is at a level thats ready for export, and even though some may disagree we need such artists in order for our country to be recognised on an international scale.

have to disagree, they might have good lyrical skill and that swagg-esque delivery BUT the world won't be interested in rappers sounding exactly like US rappers, and that coming from South Africa... what the world looks for is something original, the minute you sound unique and you got the talent these guys have you'll see immediate interest from all over the world but because they sound like rappers already out there people won't take them seriously...

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +14/-18
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/djpeeweeproductionz
I dont necessarily think so... I heard K'naan from a while back...and to me he sounds pretty american.. but he just has a story to tell and has taken the time to really find his niche.. worked well for him. i mean apart from his arabic spurts here and there.. he sounds like an american to me? seems to be taken seriously...

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
I dont necessarily think so... I heard K'naan from a while back...and to me he sounds pretty american.. but he just has a story to tell and has taken the time to really find his niche.. worked well for him. i mean apart from his arabic spurts here and there.. he sounds like an american to me? seems to be taken seriously...

K'naan grew up in New York and later Toronto in Canada. His success is largely due to his political views which he has always hustled to represent.

From Wikipedia:
K'naan became a friend and a**ociate of Canadian promoter, Sol Guy, who helped him secure a speaking engagement before the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in 1999, where K'naan performed a spoken word piece criticizing the UN for its failed aid missions to Somalia. One of the audience members, Senegalese singer Youssou N'Dour, was so impressed by the young MC's performance and courage that he invited him to contribute to his 2001 album Building Bridges, a project through which K'naan was able to tour the world.

Not only is K'naan's American accent authentic because he learned English in the States, he also bring many elements of his homeland Somalia into his work (both in terms of content and musical influence). This makes him unique and interesting to an international audience.

Many South African rappers offer nothing to the international music market because they regurgitate what is already out there. The whole swag thing is already being done to its maximum extent internationally. Which rapper have we got in SA who could even come close to Lil Wayne (in terms of swag) - the dude invented the expression 'Bling Bling' in his Hotboys days! We got broke-a** rappers out here claiming they flossy, iced-out and shit - we all know they don't have R350k for a diamond chain! it's just embarra**ing.

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
i really wanna know who are these rappers peeps keep referring too...coz i can sense people being called out but with no names.. call em out! Man-up

Touareg

• AG Extremist
    • View Profile

K'naan grew up in New York and later Toronto in Canada. His success is largely due to his political views which he has always hustled to represent.

From Wikipedia:
K'naan became a friend and a**ociate of Canadian promoter, Sol Guy, who helped him secure a speaking engagement before the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees in 1999, where K'naan performed a spoken word piece criticizing the UN for its failed aid missions to Somalia. One of the audience members, Senegalese singer Youssou N'Dour, was so impressed by the young MC's performance and courage that he invited him to contribute to his 2001 album Building Bridges, a project through which K'naan was able to tour the world.

Not only is K'naan's American accent authentic because he learned English in the States, he also bring many elements of his homeland Somalia into his work (both in terms of content and musical influence). This makes him unique and interesting to an international audience.

Many South African rappers offer nothing to the international music market because they regurgitate what is already out there. The whole swag thing is already being done to its maximum extent internationally. Which rapper have we got in SA who could even come close to Lil Wayne (in terms of swag) - the dude invented the expression 'Bling Bling' in his Hotboys days! We got broke-a** rappers out here claiming they flossy, iced-out and shit - we all know they don't have R350k for a diamond chain! it's just embarra**ing.

CO FREAKING SIGHN!!!

lol @ local ma'f***ers talkin' bout "I make it rain" WTF??
Real Recognise Real

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
we all know who D is talking about.

Let them be, I actually prefer not having them mentioned, cos if they are, they will come in here and post some stupid argument about silver also being ice.

I actually made it rain once.

I had R20 in 5c coins, and they were getting heavy. Aahh... the life of a baller.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:23:09 PM by Me »

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
So then this is beyond the accent thing really.....COZ I DOUBT EVERYONE KNOWS K'NAAN's life story.

its just more about content... which at the end of the day is subjective. Accents are minor, what appeals is the content i guess. And not everyone likes sad stories all the time or consciencous raps.. its just a fact of life

if a nigga has 200 fans that appreciate him saying "f*** that hoe....f*** that  f*** this... my ice this my ice that" then let him be. SHit i know sometimes i wanna listen to some simple raps...does that make me ignorant? NO - shit i got 2 degrees!

I think we need more people showing "the light" than just talking greazy up in this bitch.

ree

• AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-2
    • View Profile
 if your music doesnt sound authentic its very easy to see that, of all the artists here defending thier so called "american" accents how many of them are actually doing this as thier job, i really doubt any, the two who where mentioned for actually paying thier bills thru hip hop where pro and hhp, who really do their own style, another such emcee mentioned was ben sharpa , only cuase he not clad in ice with the bently videos one a**umes he not successful , but music is what he does to earn money why isnt that rated as succes, its like from my understanding appearing to do something rather than actually doing something in this music biz gets more respect.
knaan no matter what his accent sounds like is a success cause of his music its him and it has a wider range of influence than what a kid who chilled in the u.s thier whole lives.
and as for the "fcuk a hoe" type music i dont thing we can ever encourage something negative all for the sake of entertainment ,"consious" emcees always get boxed in for being one dimensional when in fact i think they investigate more avenues in their music that "commercial" emcees. i dont think we can ever allow something to be because it has a fanbase of 200 people if its part of  a culture let it be somehting that builds.
illuminatemusic.blogspot.com
myspace.com/illumin_8

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
Tino.. u know what cuz?

it is what it izzz...I dont think that people not making a living off rap has an issue to do with accents...coz there are several venacular artists that dont make that loot either. Eg. Wasnt there a thread some time back on Mr. Selwyn having to go back on his job grizzy coz the industry was real - and wouldnt u say that he had an authentic style " the king os kasi rap" as he called himself. A style which has been adopted by other cats from opinion.

authenticity shouldnt be defined by an accent is what im trying to say... dont just discredit someone coz of their accents - thats petty in my eyes. That cat could have an ill flow or great message in his lyrics but ur not hearing him coz he is african with a "fake accent"... Accept diversity.. thats a good way to progress! as far as im concerned conscious rap is just an appreciation of ur surrounding... because ur conscious of ur life and whats around... and if it is "f*** that hoe..f*** that trick".. thats someone's lifestyle ...not yours! and i never really get this whole thing about build this and build that... i mean life is not all positive. and besides what are we building towards...

DaT NiGGa P-DuB

• www.25tolyf.com
  • AG Extremist
  • Grrrrrrrrindin
    • View Profile
ps. I would support both of these artists (lez and AKA) with or without accents...coz i respect their skills

Buff Pound

• AG Regular
    • REP: +3/-3
  • www.roachinc.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • Roachinc

From Wikipedia:

CO FREAKING SIGHN!!!

they could mean, they piss on girls, LOL, let budget ballers do them mayn, why y'all career hatin,  ;D ;D
N'veigh's Album ,titled 7.30, dropping on 7.30

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

From Wikipedia:

CO FREAKING SIGHN!!!

they could mean, they piss on girls, LOL, let budget ballers do them mayn, why y'all career hatin,  ;D ;D

"Budget Ballers"  ;D ;D ;D

Meegar

• REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
ps. I would support both of these artists (lez and AKA) with or without accents...coz i respect their skills
you're right man...its all about the content and skill of the artistes in question.

KryptiqRasul

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +0/-0
    • View Profile
I think the hommie was jus tryna create sum hype!!! Showtime Get em

Nostradamus Pages

• Foot Soldier
    • REP: +2/-3
    • View Profile
LOL now cats have to watch what they say on interviews.
ye dont side mouth peopel too, niggers is listenin :P
a man that studieth revenge makes his own wound green

the battle is not yours