Shrinks

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
Has anyone here been to see a psychologist and do you think it helped you deal with the issues you had?
Is it overated or helpful? Do they offer practical solutions or should is it just the same as opening up to a friend?

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
It depends, I have been to a few and some are completely useless and a waste  of time and money.

My last one was really good though and she takes a very practical approach and offers suggestions and is really good. She helped me through a really bad patch, to the point where I don't even need the pills I am on anymore. I have stopped taking them for a few weeks just to see and I am gonna stop for good once this prescription runs out.

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
My friend whilst growin up had issues with her dad. Years later she just could not deal with it and so she went to a shrink and it helped alot.
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile

Naturelle

• AG Moderator
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +11/-21
  • rise.
    • View Profile
    • Butan Wear
It's come to a point where recurring dreams, cycles, patterns are so evident and it's due to not facing things. not dealing properly. u think u r ok. U r strong. push em to back of my head, under the rug but they slowly resurface.I'm still here. They whisper. Imma star in the excorcist if i don't box these demons ASAP.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
It's come to a point where recurring dreams, cycles, patterns are so evident and it's due to not facing things. not dealing properly. u think u r ok. U r strong. push em to back of my head, under the rug but they slowly resurface.I'm still here. They whisper. Imma star in the excorcist if i don't box these demons ASAP.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

It came to a point where I was up till four or five every morning, cos I didn't wanna sleep and have the same nightmares. Spent a shitload on booze (more than usual) cos then I could at least sleep peacefully. Panic attacks etc.

You think you can deal with it yourself, but sometimes it is best to get a pro to help you.

msdeane

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-13
  • Complex Simplicity
    • View Profile
my moms a shrink, and strongly believes against medication in one's journey of healing. Anti depressants are not cool, its like they suck the life out of you, you not happy or sad just there i guess (all dead inside)...  I would like to see a shrink too for whatever personal reasons, coz I dont open up to her my mom (at all) or my friends enuf, and certain things are just too overwhelming and I guess you just want to tell all without censoring, without judgement or feeling like you making your personal problems other people's issues too.

So my question, are men also comfortable with going to see shrinks?
Msdeane the Queeeeeen!

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I'm a man, and I thought that shrinks are only for weaklings and shit, but yeah, after this last one, I would definitely recommend it. Especially her, if you are in the Bloem area.

As for anti-depressants, I think it depends on who you are and your situation. Feeling nothing is sometimes better than feeling like shit constantly.

I don't have a problem with not having any emotions. in fact, I enjoy it and I am gonna miss it, when I get off these.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
the only thing about anti-depressants is that i would'nt advise you take them if you plan do anything that requires creative aptitude. if you are on anti-depressants your emotions are inhibited, you feel sedated, and you cannot get to certain places. you will vaguely remember being there, but won't feel it presently and this can be the most harrowing experience imaginable if you base your life on being able to go there to create.

this is why K. Sello Duiker committed suicide on the 19th of January 2005.

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Maybe true. I am functioning quite well though.

I am having trouble with my creative writing though, but since I mostly write hard news nowadays, it isn't such a biggie. I also don't have time to paint and do creative writing, so it doesn't affect me that much.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Pyro, how do you feel when you're drunk and are on anti-depressants?

i only know of somone either feeling extremely happy or very bad when they're drunk. can't imagine there's an indifferent state in between.

yeah, what i posted would affect mainly things like painting and creative writing. but who knows, maybe it's not written in stone. you could try it out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:52:46 PM by the panic! »

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
I haven't noticed a difference between anti-depressant drunk and regular drunk.

I think alcohol affects the frontal lobe, which controls conscious thought, so it shouldn't really make a difference if you are on anti-depressants, since these work by regulating serotonin or dopamine levels.

I am generally a rather happy drunk, except when you are stupid or gay around me.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
Has anyone here been to see a psychologist

yeah, I did. but it was back in high school. So I really despised being called over the intercom so the whole school could be reminded that I am pill popping depressed chick. But yeah, social osracism aside. it helped. a lot.
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
how does it help? what happens?

not that you guys haven't convinced me. i'm just interested.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:50:50 PM by the panic! »

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
how does it help? what happens?

not that you guys haven't convinced me. i'm just interested.

coz sometimes the people causing u distress are ur confidants. So talking to someone who's job it is to listen, nod, give u pills and advice helps. but also because 'depression' is not really considered a disease at times, especially when you're in high school and listen to too much AZ, then the parents dismiss it by saying u on drugs.
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"