Africasgateway.com

Shrinks

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Mine helped me put a lot of things in perspective.

She gave me some tips on how to deal with the things that were causing me problems and how to address my obsessive nature and perfectionism and how to cope with some other issues.

Also helped me realise I don't have to put so much pressure on myself and focus on something other than strengths and always only playing to those and then being hard on myself when things don't pan out like I want them to.

I reached a point where I was so disillusioned with shit that I figured I might as well give up and do nothing cos it's all for nought.

Basically told me that I am human and I shouldn't judge myself and others according to my previous ridiculous standards, which often made me feel very dissilusioned and made me lose complete faith in humanity.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 02:11:04 PM by Me »

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
I often wonder about the merits of therapy like "hypnosis".
I'm not too sure if I would feel comfortable trusting my unconcious mind deliberately in the hands of another human being.

Nevermind the "cluck like a chicken" routines.
These are also people dealing with their own demons, issues.
What prevents them from taking advantage of you...yes the obvious sexual abuses spring to mind...
but what if....

c'mon dont tell me these people dont have fantasies abt pushing the humna mind to limits with torments and writing books on their findings because they watched to much silence of the lambs etc etc.

Serious misgivings.serious ones.

motho

• quixotic dreamer
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +18/-23
    • View Profile
    • blog
I often wonder about the merits of therapy like "hypnosis".

I know a gay hippie farmer in the bundus (seriously) who used hypnosis to stop smoking, aparently it works
"your real calibre is measured by your consideration and tolerance of others"

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Hypnosis is simply making suggestions to the subconscious. It can't make you do things you wouldn't do if you were awake.

So unless you are a pervert or nympho who would sleep with your therapist anyway, there is really no way he could make you do things while under.

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
i dont even know what a shrink does, never been into one and im not going to see one, im not the type of person who turns to shrink in order to solve a personal breakdown, its just not typical of me. ive heard people speak about them and giving them lots of credit. when im suffering from some sort of stress i just do something to take my mind out of it and then try to deal with it the appropriate way. if its too much i look for an alternative, like asking advice from a trained proffessional or just a close person who is capable of sovling that particluar problem. pills i dont use, ive never taken a single stress relifieng pill in my life. reason is....ive heard some superstition that they only make things worse.

im a xhosa dude, i do things the xhosa way, either i go and see a traditional healer and seek some advice just to check if its not something related to the ancestors and all that crap, or just simply go to the graveyard and talk to my forefathers, it helps a lot, best believe, you just find all possible solutions
Hood.

msdeane

• AG Regular
    • REP: +5/-13
  • Complex Simplicity
    • View Profile
I strongly feel that depression is something self inflicted. each day we fighting this war of surviving in life and we are faced with the craziest ish ever be it daddy or mommy dramas, finances, baby mama dramas, school/work and the list goes on.

Be Gentle with yourselves guys, and fight the fight.
Msdeane the Queeeeeen!

Mrs Jones

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +10/-41
  • Acoustic Soul
    • View Profile
Well its kinda hard to be gentle when you're in a battle!! Someone once said to me that, only the strong survive life, if you're not, you wont make it. Humans are cruel!!!
All my life I had to fight. I loves Harpo, God knows I do. But I'll kill him dead 'fo I let him beat me.