Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

MY RANT ON: Dizzee Rascal

Last of the old AG Hittaz

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +5/-18
    • View Profile
Hello people, I'm back for another summertime (for those in the Southern Hemisphere, wintertime) rant. Last year, my rant was on the Kwaito vs House scene but this time
my concern is about a former UK Garage MC, Dizzee Rascal.

Back in 2002, I was more of a international Hip-Hop head but when it came to England,
I wasn't too sure about Garage. I was really more into Slick Rick, Roots Manuva, 57th
Dynasty, and Black Twang, but I wasn't sure about Garage artists like So Solid, Pay As
U Go, and Ms. Dynamite. A year later, I became more interested in the genre when I
heard about a young MC named Dizzee Rascal being stabbed by an un-named So Solid
Crew memeber due to his beef with Asher D, who was also in that group. Just hearing
about Dizzee made me interested in the genre and even researching about the scene
(little do most people know that "Garage" music began in 1977 by DJ Larry Levan in
his New York nightclub called "The Paradise Garage").

After being hooked on the music through BBC 1Xtra (when it was a great station)
all I could think about was Garage music and I even wanted to do was produce Garage music. When Dizzee came out with his second CD, "Showtime", it was more Hip-Hop than
Garage but it was still good. Boy in the Corner, his first CD was far by the best
Garage album ever relased. Three years later, when most of the world anticipatedly
waited for Maths and English to come out, I, like everybody out expected Dizzee
to come back with fire. Instead, he returned with sugar. Maths and English turned
into pop and was more weaker than Showtime. I dont mind Lily Allen but that Wannabe
track did not seem right. The only Garage songs were Flex and Temptation (with the
Artic Monkeys)

I was just starting to think then, has Dizzee Dizz completely sold out? He no longer
does UK Garage raves anymore but I can understand why, he reached out to a larger audience, yuppies. Over the years, he had beef with 3 MCs but the beef with
Wiley, the leader of Roll Deep (Dizzee's first crew) and Dizzee's former mentor seemed
ridiculous, even though I understand Dizzee's perspective. I wish Dizzee could return back
to his Garage roots instead of hanging around with indie (yuppie) musicians).
I can understand that he may be selling out for the best but his music is becoming
more weak and saturated. Critics are even dismissing his latest stuff (trust me, if
you ever heard his new songs "Bonkers", "Dance wiv me", and "Holiday", you might
wonder "WTF happened to Dizzee"?) Has Garage gone that bad that Dizzee has to do
Pop music?

That was my $10 rant.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:06:15 AM by M-Point »

MOFF G

• MOFF G
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +3/-9
  • MOFF G: THE GENIUS
    • View Profile
    • MOFFG
WTF is garage?

dem UK cats just on sum yabba dabba ish, i think they accent got me lost makin it difficult for me to understand 'em.
i dig the way most of 'em like ROOTS MANUVA go for raggah beats and the hip hop flow... tyte!
the greatest rides u'd ever experince is upon the DEATH STAR....

Papa ThReAdS

• Are you a bish?? Then you can love me.
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +24/-31
  • The beautiful man...The beautiful Legend...
    • View Profile
WTF is garage?

dem UK cats just on sum yabba dabba ish, i think they accent got me lost makin it difficult for me to understand 'em.
i dig the way most of 'em like ROOTS MANUVA go for raggah beats and the hip hop flow... tyte!

Beating bitches since 1982.

rob_one

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +27/-42
  • Silverback Jewrilla
    • View Profile
    • 20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO
Garage does equal meh though.

Dizzee is alright. Not sure about the rest of them. I'm sure it holds some appeal but I still love my boom bap.
20/20 HIP-HOP RADIO

http://2020.mypodcast.com
Recharged Radio - http://www.rechargedradio.com
The South African - http://www.southafrican.co.uk
My Own Shit - http://www.robboffard.com

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
garage is also more your armand van helden , groove armada, ba**ment jaxx sorta music...

SolitaryNative

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-4
  • Feature now Defunct
    • View Profile
I like Dizzee's persona and character but musically he can really just flunk out a lot. All that Calvin Harris shit is ok but honestly he can be a ufcking retard sometimes. He'll always have his cla**ics and always be Jus a Rascal, rocking Sirens won't stop but on the whole he's somebody I would say I love to hate. Damn if he and Roll Deep didn't start some shit though the scene is huge! Bigger than hip hop haha.

The defjux collaboration was some say good some say desperate (on El-P's behalf?)...

10 out of Ten for Character, Catchiness. Zero out of ten for sustained quality.

Nar8iv

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +3/-3
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/scott_williams/
@ bornenbl3d  - have you heard the latest calvin harris one that's out now - its called coming home .....or something like that.
more of a progressive house vibe to it though.
awesome track

zydeco

• REP: +0/-0
  • got a light?
    • View Profile
Hello virtual world

The defjux collaboration was some say good some say desperate (on El-P's behalf?)...

10 out of Ten for Character, Catchiness. Zero out of ten for sustained quality.

How so?

SolitaryNative

• AG Extremist
    • REP: +4/-4
  • Feature now Defunct
    • View Profile
@ witness I'll check for it. He can pull off his own thing nicely. Respect the dudes music.

@ zydeco I don't know, I think a lot of mainstream underground labels have started indicating an intent to play w more new styles or sounds like dubstep and drum etc. I think it was in some ways a move to link two styles that don't match all the way. Some of it worked, some didn't I just feel like if Jux wanted to bring in a new, fresh, niche sort of thing they shot astray w Dizzee. He's too established already, and isn't really the next ting anymore. Just an opinion, maybe a stupid one.

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
@ witness- Garage could be them artist that you mentioned, but Garage is really Soulful
House Music, (UK:Tuff Jam, MJ Cole, Dem 2, Artful Dodger, Wookie, Grant Nelson, Tim Delux/ US: Masters At Work, Todd Edwards, Miguel Migs, Larry Levan (R.I.P.), Jay-J, Junior Vasquez, Blaze). Armand Van Helden's early stuff was Garage but he's been doing more Electro stuff lately.

@bornebl3d- I agree. If Dizzee and Wiley got along ,the Garage scene woudln't be in the
same mess as it is now. One of the reasons why it's on a low is because UK Garage MCs
are copying US mainstream rap artists with all the beefs to make sales. 

@childrens- :D! you tell him! That pic is funny.

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records

A pimp named Sarkozy

• AG Veteran
    • REP: +17/-52
  • Thorough-bred
    • View Profile
After i saw that "BONKERS"Club/Rave joint and video,i said f*** him!!!!  ;D ;D how can he do that? thats murder!!

zydeco

• REP: +0/-0
  • got a light?
    • View Profile
Not a stupid one at all.

I do think that the ma** appeal Dizzie Rascal off late holds seems hardly like a novelty El-p yearns for. El-p has long led a fellowship far reaching. Dizzie Rascal pulls a crowd different to the former, yes, and much of it is still within the queen's backyard. Not the case with Defjux however, where he pulls substantial crowds on both fronts. So it makes sense for their alliance to be music based, and not necessarily El-p's wanting to plank 5 more fan letters up on his fridge. As what I read from M-points last post, Garage is a fading sound bite on the radio, tapping into the us frequency is a sure shot for them.

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
Not a stupid one at all.

Dizzie Rascal pulls a crowd different to the former, yes, and much of it is still within the queen's backyard. Not the case with Defjux however, where he pulls substantial crowds on both fronts. So it makes sense for their alliance to be music based, and not necessarily El-p's wanting to plank 5 more fan letters up on his fridge. As what I read from M-points last post, Garage is a fading sound bite on the radio, tapping into the us frequency is a sure shot for them.

Well, I wouldn't say that Garage is tapping back into the US frequency, even though it would be great if it returned back. Back in the days, during the early 90s, when R&B and Pop
singers like Crystal Waters, Robin S., Cece Penniston, Tara Kemp, were singing on House
tracks, those tunes were produced by House/Garage producers such as Tony Humphries,
Todd Terry, Masters At Work, and Frankie Knucles. The sound was big in the US a while,
but around 94-97, the Garage sound died out from the US radio and went undergound.
Meanwhile, the Garage sound went to the UK, where it was mixed with Drum & Ba**,
Dancehall Reggae, and Hip Hop.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:34:26 AM by M-Point »

Dpleezy

• Run Tings
  • AG O.G.
    • REP: +26/-56
    • View Profile
    • Pioneer Unit Records
Happened to catch the UK chart on MTV Base earlier this evening.

Dizzee just seems like he's taking the piss. That holiday song is garbage, even if he is very watchable.

Chipmunk is another kid who's just making pop junk now. Everyone has to eat, but the music he is making is unadulterated crap.

On the plus side i really enjoyed Hat Low by Inja Ft Fallacy, SkinnyMan & Mr Thing: