Get Dropox | Luno Bitcoin | Ovex Crypto | Binance | Get Free Crypto - Morpher
Africasgateway.com

being depressed

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • REP: +26/-28
    • View Profile
could mean you've got next:

"Not that it's much consolation, but a Scientific American piece going viral explains that those suffering from depression are at an "evolutionary paradox" and are more evolved thinkers than happy-go-lucky types due to their analytical nature." [via Gawker]

a few quotes:

"So what could be so useful about depression? Depressed people often think intensely about their problems. These thoughts are called ruminations; they are persistent and depressed people have difficulty thinking about anything else. Numerous studies have also shown that this thinking style is often highly analytical. They dwell on a complex problem, breaking it down into smaller components, which are considered one at a time."

"Many other symptoms of depression make sense in light of the idea that analysis must be uninterrupted. The desire for social isolation, for instance, helps the depressed person avoid situations that would require thinking about other things. Similarly, the inability to derive pleasure from sex or other activities prevents the depressed person from engaging in activities that could distract him or her from the problem. Even the loss of appetite often seen in depression could be viewed as promoting analysis because chewing and other oral activity interferes with the brain’s ability to process information."

"When one considers all the evidence, depression seems less like a disorder where the brain is operating in a haphazard way, or malfunctioning. Instead, depression seems more like the vertebrate eye—an intricate, highly organized piece of machinery that performs a specific function."

read the entire article here.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:30:27 AM by the panic! »

The Angry Hand of God

• I'm better than you.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +31/-87
  • Medium Pimping...
    • View Profile
Read a similar article (or maybe it is the same one, I haven't checked the link yet) a few months ago.

It gives examples of people like Dali, Van Gogh, etc. who all suffered from depression and obsessive behaviour and all excelled at their chosen careers.

Makes a lot of sense.

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
nice piece panic but cant read it

journo's, ay nci nci!!
Hood.

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
Depressed people do not have constructive thoughts. They often have suicidal obsessions which would hardly be deemed constructive.

Van Gogh and others like heem suffered from Bipolar type I. This is when someone alternates between a manic and depressive mental state. It is in the periods of mania that someone will harness all their energy to complete certain activities and problems.

All in all, what i'm saying is that, that article is BULLSHIT!
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

1kind

• onek1nd is superman on the eiffel tower, saving the world from parasites.
  • AG Extremist
    • REP: +8/-25
  • My xhosa friends and I started a clique!
    • View Profile
depressed people do not obsess, they withdraw.
I put Religion, Opression and Weakness underground and when i looked down i felt myself begin to GROW.

www.reverbnation.com/1kind

Mad

• CEO of goldmine rec.
  • AG Veteran
    • REP: +23/-161
  • hood whips
    • View Profile
Depressed people do not have constructive thoughts. They often have suicidal obsessions which would hardly be deemed constructive.

Van Gogh and others like heem suffered from Bipolar type I. This is when someone alternates between a manic and depressive mental state. It is in the periods of mania that someone will harness all their energy to complete certain activities and problems.

cosign, furthermore, depressed people are in a state of confusion and preoccupation, meaning that it is rare for them to think positively and rationally.

to them, what matters is problem solving and should the means of attempting to solve a particular problem show failure of evidence, they suffer more depression and stres and they eventually harm themselves or consequently perform what is famously known as "suicide".

this is normally caused by the very same preoccuaption of the mind. once the problems become too many and start floodding up the mind at the same time they will end up causing an extreme conflict of thoughts and result into a zero production of a solution.
Hood.

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

lol, you're a doctor?  :D

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • REP: +8/-7
    • View Profile
one doesn't have to be a doctor to see that that article is not a good enough 'pro' to being depressed...
it's a self-defeating argument,one doesn't have to be depressed to be analytical or constructive...and lets face it,if you search hard enough,you can find 'good' in anything
You are your best thing! - Toni Morrison (Beloved)

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile
one doesn't have to be a doctor to see that that article is not a good enough 'pro' to being depressed...
it's a self-defeating argument,one doesn't have to be depressed to be analytical or constructive...and lets face it,if you search hard enough,you can find 'good' in anything

you guys should really learn to read something before you critique it. this is a research-based hypothesis. i don't remember them concluding anything absolute in the article, but rather they compile a theory based on evidence derived from experiments.

i was asking one1kind that because he speaks with such certainty that he has to either be a doctor or both bipolar and depressed.

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • View Profile

you guys should really learn to read something before you critique it. this is a research-based hypothesis. i don't remember them concluding anything absolute in the article, but rather they compile a theory based on evidence derived from experiments.i was asking one1kind that because he speaks with such certainty that he has to either be a doctor or both bipolar and depressed.
how does this negate my comment?
oh,and i've read your article
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 02:24:22 PM by Anna Sasin »

Hybrid

• infinite perfection
  • AG Hustler
    • REP: +1/-4
  • iced out
    • View Profile
    • no site

causes of depression:

being fired from work = 95 %
dsismisal from work= 85%
loss of spouse= 65%
divorce= 50%
personal injury= 45%

possible causes of suicide:

loosing your job
loosing a close relative
loosing a divorce settlement
strugling to find a job
i stay winning

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

you guys should really learn to read something before you critique it. this is a research-based hypothesis. i don't remember them concluding anything absolute in the article, but rather they compile a theory based on evidence derived from experiments.i was asking one1kind that because he speaks with such certainty that he has to either be a doctor or both bipolar and depressed.

where does it say you have to be depressed to be analytical or constructive?

Anna Sasin

• Silencer of Strumpets
  • AG Regular
    • View Profile

let me be more clear
my gripe is with their direction of investigation,if one can be healthy of mind and exhibit the levels of analytical thought they speak of,why should I care if they find that there's some 'good' about feeling bad.
that's my response to their hypothesis,i don't find it useful.

TY-D-CPT-021-NKE

• Go tell your mother cause i dont give a f**
  • AG Elite Member
    • REP: +14/-47
  • "Dont kyk me by the gevriet aka dont judge snitch!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thesamark.co.za/WC-NKE.aspx
yo i see alot of big words in this place lol...depression without the big words is basically......you got sum mother f***in issues and you need to address the shit and whilst doing that your face and expression gives the game away..maybe we can have a smile and still be depressed...? ;D
people be juding me by the way that i walk even when i talk they say i got swagger like i be from new york..#print that bitches!

the panic!

• AG Elite Member
    • View Profile

let me be more clear
my gripe is with their direction of investigation,if one can be healthy of mind and exhibit the levels of analytical thought they speak of,why should I care if they find that there's some 'good' about feeling bad.
that's my response to their hypothesis,i don't find it useful.

that's understandable. but personally, i think it's a good thing to re-evaluate our understanding of what we consider mental illness's. whether it be depression or madness, i think there's more to just being 'sick' and i have absolutely no qualms with people researching this and proposing alternative views.